Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: here we go again dipping on the copper

Default here we go again dipping on the copper

I guess I'm a little early to be thinking about it too much.... after all I still have my burbot lines on the river.... ice starting to rot pretty good so won't be long and I'll be done.... back to dipping.. looks like red run is better than last year... the bad year for Kings is supposed to be worse this year.. rumor is there is another bad slide on the way to Haley.. which should be better for the charter service .. I also heard he's taking reservations this year..I hope to be there for the opener this year again.. good luck everybody

How did you hear about the slide? Any details. Personally it dosnt bother me. take it slow and cautious and everything will be alright. As long as it is "passable" meaning that a wheeler can drive across it at reasonable pitch then its ok. I have seen more accidents and almost accident on that one 3 ft boulder drop about 4 miles down the trail than on the slide area. I might just have to use the shovel in my storage box. haha
    Trying to play enough to make working for the money all worth it.

this weekend is the outdoor show in Fairbanks.... I will try to find out more details on the slide.... if anyone has any other questions I will check this thread before I go

Which charter is taking reservations? Is this hems or some other charter?

I was told it was hems....

Default hems reservations?

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Francis View Post
    I was told it was hems....
    I have been doing this or a while, how can one take reservations when you do not know when the run will appear or how strong the run will be. At best that is a 10 window and that is when the numbers are right for at least a week. Once u have your reservations what does that do to people who just read the states then go?

Quote Originally Posted by Fwilkin View Post
    I have been doing this or a while, how can one take reservations when you do not know when the run will appear or how strong the run will be. At best that is a 10 window and that is when the numbers are right for at least a week. Once u have your reservations what does that do to people who just read the states then go?
    hems works closely with dip netters association.... I talked to them at .the outdoors show this last weekend.... they knew nothing of it.... it ...may be an idea hems had... and decided not to do it.... I thought it sounded like a good idea... . let's say you can make it up to 3 days in advance.... you have to make a $50 non-refundable deposit.... there could be a lot of ways it could be done... maybe more hassle for hems... that's nothing compared to the hassle of driving all the way there and not to get out

...that's nothing compared to the hassle of driving all the way there and not to get out
    Truth of the matter: Fishable dropoffs are limited. Nobody gets a guarantee that they will be able to go out on a charter if hordes show up. Anyone making the trip needs to understand the environmental limitations of the fishery and be prepared to have to find their own way to a fishable location.

With the trail collapse at Salmon Pt., those who use to walk in there will have to find another way to fish, also.

What we never want to happen is for people to think that the Copper River fishery is a piece-of-cake, and anybody can do it, and everybody should be able to do it.

hey Tony you heard anything about the new slide Past O'Brien creek?

hey Tony you heard anything about the new slide Past O'Brien creek?
    No sir...my Secret Source is silent...patch me in to a live satellite feed, please...

if you do talk to your source in chitina tony ... how are things looking around the fish wheels.... what I heard is that the kostina never got low enough for them to move the wheels up up the bank... they may lose them like last year.... there is a group trying to work on getting the kostina.... moved back to where was a couple years ago.... I'll just wait and see what happens.. I'm not going to count on it.... I had a tough time getting my fish last year.... I got by mostly on luck.... I have a few tricks up my sleeve for this year... I may have to create my own luck....

x
    i.... I had a tough time getting my fish last year.... I got by mostly on luck.... I have a few tricks up my sleeve for this year... I may have to create my own luck....
    I saw you dare to go where no man had gone before, bro...I'm getting a boat ready to use and you've got a spot reserved...we WILL find the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Truth of the matter: Fishable dropoffs are limited. Nobody gets a guarantee that they will be able to go out on a charter if hordes show up. Anyone making the trip needs to understand the environmental limitations of the fishery and be prepared to have to find their own way to a fishable location.

With the trail collapse at Salmon Pt., those who use to walk in there will have to find another way to fish, also.

What we never want to happen is for people to think that the Copper River fishery is a piece-of-cake, and anybody can do it, and everybody should be able to do it.
    AMEN. Last year I was shocked to meet so many new comers to the fishery. Guys walking up to me with 6' landing nets and Kenai hoops on the subsistence side near the Kotsina asking 'Is that the bridge i'm supposed to stay downstream from?'.....Oh gawd. I think many of the folks who showed up for the first time in the 50 ft RVs and parked on the exposed sand bar just below the bridge, will be shocked when they arrive this year and find it under water.... Then we'll all be asked, are there spots at Haley Creek to park my RV? lmao! Met 2 guys last year, getting battered by the lovely Chitna sand wind and bobbing below the bridge with Kenai nets, they straight up told me, "THIS SUCKS!". Yep, I said, only idiots do this
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

I remember my first time almost 30 years ago.... I was told you don't need boots cuz you fish from a rock..... we got down there the way they were catching was sweeping... so we tied a rope to my belt loop.... my friends held onto the rope and I went out with my tennis shoes... and cut offs... we got our fish it was cold but fun

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    x

I saw you dare to go where no man had gone before, bro...I'm getting a boat ready to use and you've got a spot reserved...we WILL find the fish.
    yeah Tony no man has gone before but the fish were there.... I would have to say that was one of my favorite trips... I really learned the lesson if something isn't working do something else.... I would really love to go out fishing with you on a boat this year.... we'll see if we can work it out.... I usually go down at least three times.... I have a busy summer this year I might try to do it in two trips.... maybe a relaxed fun trip in September for silvers.... this year for my first trip I would like to go two or three days before the season opens... do some camping and get relaxed.... the federal subsistence wheels should be turning so I'll be able to tell if any fish are going through an the kostina should be low enough to cross

To change the course of the kostina don't you need to ask the native land owners or the state, just wondering.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGAKSTUFF View Post
    ...Guys walking up to me with 6' landing nets and Kenai hoops on the subsistence side near the Kotsina asking 'Is that the bridge i'm supposed to stay downstream from?'
    Secret Source told me they'd come into town and ask what time high tide was...

Quote Originally Posted by alexl View Post
    To change the course of the kostina don't you need to ask the native land owners or the state, just wondering.
    that's right.,,,,,,. that's why the subsistence fishwheel people are working with them.... it might be a hard sell.... the state's position I think has been as long as the river doesn't threaten the road let it be...

What is the typical beach dipping gear for the copper? Do rectangle nets work better then round? How long of a pole? 20'? 30'? or 40'? How big of rectangle or round net?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by MTfisher View Post
    What is the typical beach dipping gear for the copper? Do rectangle nets work better then round? How long of a pole? 20'? 30'? or 40'? How big of rectangle or round net?

Thanks in advance!
    The shape of your net doesn't matter as much as the construction material. Like the name says (Copper River),the best material for your hoop is 3/4" copper pipe. You can pick it up at your local plumbing store. If you have a pipe bender, round is fine. Otherwise just use 90 elbows and make a square hoop.

The handle can be of any material, as far as I know. It's only the hoop that really matters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast