Thread: Latest install of Electra Dyne on a Hewes

Default Latest install of Electra Dyne on a Hewes

Customer brought over his boat to show me his install of the Electra Dyne & the 3 piece davit he bought from me. Remember guys ASP is the only factory authorized ED dealer in AK.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Glad he got it all figured out. Thanks for giving him a hand Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Thanks for all the help with getting mine setup Steve. Can't wait to go pull some pots when I get back home next.

Now that's an interesting setup. Great thinking.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Thanks Rob. I can't take credit for it though. Pot builder sent me some pics of installs and there was one in there similar so the light bulb lit up in my head. Pull the pin, push the davit back in and pin it in. All but disappears when pushed in. Should work pretty slick and totally out of the way.

Quote: "Pull the pin, push the davit back in and pin it in. All but disappears when pushed in. Should work pretty slick and totally out of the way."

Looks slicker than a gut, to me...I've been puzzling over a very similar telescoping design for my project. Do you have a notion of what kind of load your set up could handle when extended?

Not sure to be honest with you. I built it out of schedule 80 tubing. That is what my safe t puller had for a davit and only once bent it. Long story on that one lol but I don't fault it for bending when it did. No farther than this pokes out I don't see it being and issue. I weight about 250. I was bouncing on the end of it while extended and it didn't notice that I was on it. I'll let you know once I get a chance to pull some pots with it. First day back to work on the slope so the timing sucks for me as far as the opener.

I love this kind of stuff where you gain function and in the process, lose clutter and free up deck/rail space! Sounds plenty stout. If you ever felt the need, it probably would be an easy matter to run a quickly removable diagonal brace from the end where the block is mounted to the hull side or where ever handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    Quote: "Pull the pin, push the davit back in and pin it in. All but disappears when pushed in. Should work pretty slick and totally out of the way."

Looks slicker than a gut, to me...I've been puzzling over a very similar telescoping design for my project. Do you have a notion of what kind of load your set up could handle when extended?
    Gary you'd roll your boat over before the davit bent . Glad you got all those pool noodles under the deck !

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Thanks for all the help with getting mine setup Steve. Can't wait to go pull some pots when I get back home next.

Your welcome Tim, i just planted to seed and you did all the rest, i'm glad you posted the picture so other folks can see how nice a flush mount can be, and the sliding davit is another plus!! I think when i tell folks about different mounting options they can't visualize them till they see pictures of it done on other boats. Don't forget to try hauling your anchor with that set up

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Funny you should mention the anchor Steve. I have the slider set to when it is pinned out the line from the bow roller to the davit pulley clears my cabin by about an inch. That sure will be nice. Saved me from buying a windlass for the bow. Or pulling by the tried and true Armstrong method lol.

Here's a pic of it with the davit arm pinned in the in postion. You really have to look to see its even there. Especially if I were to pull the block off the end of the arm. Like Steve said. Sure makes for a clean install and let's you keep all of your deck space. Can't ever have enough of that!

here's another one a customer sent me done on a converted set net skiff
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

I don't know what the bending point for Schedule 80 pipe is. What ever it is all it has to bend is a of a inch and you will play hell getting it out. I also don't know how thick/strong the fiberglass is on the top where it is connected. What I do know is sometime in the future the pots will get hung up and when trying to break them loose you you will exceed there braking points. I suggest you reinforce the pole and have a bigger plate to spread out the weight on the fiberglass top.

If potbuilder is correct about rolling the boat before bending the pipe, why would you want to take that chance? I would have a knife there at all times to cut the line. With only second until it two late it is not the time to be looking for a knife.
    Just saying.

Murphy does not play nice on the water.

More pictures

https://www.google.com/search?q=pot+...rs%3B640%3B500

Thanks for your thoughts Mac. I welcome them. If the arm does bend, it would bend in the outer position causing it not to slide back into the stored position. Not the end of the world. It would pull completely out without issue and just lay it on the deck and go back to the drawing board once I get home. The pipe it slides in and out of will never bend.

As to hanging a set of pots. That is exactly how I bent the davit on my safe t puller. I pulled almost to the point of putting the gunwall under. Stupid. To make it worse I was in about 4' white caps doing it. Finally it bent as the boat rose on a wave. I quit for the night and went back in the morning. Water had calmed down. Tried again with the puller. No go. I cleated the line off to the stern and pulled with the motor and finally freed the pots. Have had to do that one other time since. I have learn not to try and free a stuck pot with a puller alone.

As for the roof. There is a strap about 4" wide that runs from behind the rear arch to about an inch in front of the front arch to help distribute the weight. I would hate to poke that down through the roof. I have hung on the end of that arm extended and bounced from it. No noise or indications what so ever that the roof will be an issue. And the arch is thru bolted onto the roof as well.

If anyone else sees what I've missed please point it out to me. I'm all ears. But I have put some thought behind this and have pulled a pot or 2 in the past. Just a new setup on a new to me boat.

I really like your comment about what potbuilder said about rolling the boat. First I do agree with him. On any davit with a decent puller you can roll the boat before you bend the arm beyond use. I life in soldotna. With that said I've spent tons of time anchoring in cook inlet for halibut. A firmly planted anchor with a ripping tide has ruined many people's day up to including many deaths. For that reason. There is always a knife at the bow of the boat within easy reach of the front cleat. I point that out ALWAYS to anyone that may go out with me. If someone goes overboard step one is to cut the **** anchor rope. NOW! Likewise. If I fish too late into a running tide and struggle to break anchor I will either cut it or leave it on a bouy and come back and pull it on the next slack tide. Never used to have that option in the pre Gps days! Not if you didnt get very lucky. I will have a knife that if mount right next to the pot puller as well. Just for the reason you've stated. When things go wrong, it happens in a hurry. And you can't just walk away from it in a boat.

just pay attention to what one is doing and have a hand on the switch. I don't know about others but i can usually tell when i am hung down with the gear way before i get anywhere near the hang, things just don't feel right so be aware that things are going to get tight soon and power up the line to get some strain off till you get it straight up & down then deal with it slowly, nice thing about the ED is if you need to get the strain off fast just pop the rope out of the back of the plates and pow the strain is instantly off ( now watch your feet cause the gear is again sinking).

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692