Thread: King in a Snow Storm.

Default King in a Snow Storm.

Having spent all last weekend at the Sportsman Show, I had to go fish. But the weather forecast was not looking good for Homer. Southwest winds are not fun off the spit. Cook Inlet looks rough too. Hmm... Seward looks good. Well Ya never know.

Launched at Miller's landing. Trolled around the area and out to Tonsina Creek. I told myself I was fishing for Dollies but secretly I was hoping I would discover a king. Not to be. I didn't find either. Tried deeper water for a bit. Managed a quill back rockfish.

So before I go to bed, I check the weather. Homer is still ugly. But as I use the spot map forecast, I click right off of whiskey gulch and it says "light winds, 1 to 2ft". HUH??? I knew the swells would be fairly large even if the wind waves were small given the SW direction and the winds we have had the past few days. Still, no pain. no gain.

Leave the house at 9am. I drive through a blizzard at hope and then once again after Ninilchik. Surf looks big! But you can see the water right behind it is almost flat. Ok, gotta try it. On the water at 1pm.

It's snowing and sleeting to the point where it hurts. I'm trolling a flasher and green label herring. Started with 12oz, but lightened it up to 5oz to try shallower. One hour into the session, over 25 ft of water, my rod doubles over.
    SUH-WEEEEEET!!!!!! It puts up a good battle but its no match for my halibut rod with 65lbs power pro and 80lbs fluoro leader. lol.

So, if I want to fish halibut, I have to go a mile off shore. The weather looks like its getting worse so I opt to head right back in. The landing was scary. I can't believe I didn't video tape it. It was by FAR the fastest I have ever traveled in a kayak. I surfed a wave for what had to be 30 yards. Thought I was a goner, but it passed me. Took a moment to breathe, realized I better get going and started pedaling. Another waves catches me. I pull rudder. Pin fins flat. Hold the paddle but it miraculously stays straight. I nose first into the beach with a jarring thud. For a brief second I thought I was going to get ejected forward but somehow manage to stay inside the kayak. Hop out, pull kayak onto the beach before the next wave. Just like a PRO!!! uhh...except a pro probably doesn't have to check his drawers to see if he has to change them. lol.

I am loaded and up the hilt 3pm. 2 hours total from launch to load. Hard to beat! Did manage to drive through a heck of a snow storm.

So make it EIGHT consecutive months I have landed a king salmon off my kayak! I have a hard time believing it. But like I said in my seminars, it really is the kayak. No way I am running around like this towing a powerboat.

The video:

Nice job Rudy. The only thing stopping you from going 12 months is that you'll be tagged out for the summer after next month! How ironic. Won't be able to keep a king in the summer months lol

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Nice job Rudy. The only thing stopping you from going 12 months is that you'll be tagged out for the summer after next month! How ironic. Won't be able to keep a king in the summer months lol
    Thanks! It will be a challenge. I don't mind catch and releasing a fish or two. I also have my parent proxies. I dropped this king off at my parents in Kenai. Ya gotta take care of the people who take care of you!

I think May is in Lower Cook Inlet. June, I may try the Kasilof on a weekday or maybe Seward. If I get desperate, I'll troll off the Homer Lagoon or over by Halibut Cover or some where they stock them. Without the Kenai, I have no idea where I will manage a July King. I figure I catch a few kings in September so I am hoping to complete the streak in Homer in August. I don't want to look ahead but I can't believe it looks like what used to be one of the premiere times to catch a king is proving to be the likely stopper on what is, I would think, a pretty rare opportunity. Oh well, I should just have fun and not make into something bigger than it is. lol. Still fun to think about.

Kenai Peninsula, Ak.

I would think u could get a July king off the beaches down here, Rudy. I believe there's a batch that pass thru here that month.
    And by the way, niiiice King on the video. Hats off to you buddy!
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Anchorage, Alaska

Rooting for you, Rudy! Nice job!
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address:
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks guys!

The reports are trickling in for the area and it sounds like its go time! Too bad the weather is brutal.

As scary as it was last weekend coming in on a pretty big surf, I may take my smaller paddle kayak and just play in the surf. Hmm...I doubt I can be that close to water without a pole in my hands....

salt lake city ut

Very nice do you build your own flashers or buy them ?

I buy them. But like with anything else I love to tinker with stuff. Reality is I doubt it helps much. Some additional flash tape, bend them different, drill new eye holes. Etc. But it's fun and as long as it's fun. I do it. Seems to catch fish still so I don't think I'm screwing things up too often.

It is MAY!!!! Gotta go find a king!!!!
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.