Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more poke holes in vacuum packed spot shrimp!

Default No more poke holes in vacuum packed spot shrimp!

I think I finally figured this out, after trying all kinds of wraps, paper etc, plus double bags.

Last year, I froze my PWS spot shrimp in ziplocs (poor man's shrinkwrap style, submerge bag below the last little bit of zip top, then close that). Then, after they were frozen I felt along each bag for the spines poking thru and bopped them off with a small hammer---a jar or table knife butt, anything hard would work. Then I opened the ziploc leaving them in place, and vacuum packed them, and so far I haven't found a bag with a broken seal = problem solved! I guess you could also vacuum pack them twice but the ziplocs are less expensive, and it works great.

Freeze them in block of water, in a ziplock. Easy, no freezer burn, and quick.
    Bk

yep, that works, but those blocks take up too much space in a freezer! I never have freezer burn, but my three freezers are all the regular kind, the frost free ones cause a lot of the freezer burn I think. And, I often have some shrimp, fish, game meat, veggies etc go two years with out any problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Freeze them in block of water, in a ziplock. Easy, no freezer burn, and quick.
    Bk
    That's how I do mine...makes like a perfectly flat waffle an inch thick. I get 16 - 20 per qt bag, depending on size. I haven't had any issues with punctures or freezer burn. I also tried the individual triple glaze and freeze method...lots of extra work...the few of those I have left are edible, but close to being bait.

Go to Alaska butcher supply, buy a roll of bone guard. Line vac bag with bone guard, fill with shrimp and vac. I found a bag of shrimp that was a year and a half old and they were wonderful.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

We used to fight with pin holes and freezer burn too. Now we fill up an 8x10 bag with shrimp and water then vacuum seal it up. They are almost as good as fresh a year later.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Freezing is water is probably best, but we just ate an almost 2 year old bag and the shrimp were in good shape. We double wrap in freezer paper and then vac pak. Works very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    Freezing is water is probably best, but we just ate an almost 2 year old bag and the shrimp were in good shape. We double wrap in freezer paper and then vac pak. Works very good.
    Yup, that's what I do. We are still eating shrimp from last season and all the packages have remained sealed. The water method works very well, but takes up too much space.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I only got about 4 gals of whole shrimp last year.........I'm going to have more than that this year - I hope. I'll be out from from april 16th through the 24th....to kick the season off.

I sandwich my shrimp between paper plates and then vac seal. Works great for me.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Do you guys freeze your shrimp in fresh or salt water? I used salt water last year and it worked great, but I was surprised how much of it I needed.

Im not sure about shrimp, but I wrap all my fish in a few layers of seran wrap before vacuum sealing. Fish lasts alot longer that way and no holes. Im sure it would work with shrimp.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Mauler View Post
    Do you guys freeze your shrimp in fresh or salt water? I used salt water last year and it worked great, but I was surprised how much of it I needed.
    I used seawater last time and they kept really well. Had an Engel freezer on the boat so we packaged them up in ziplocks, dunked em and froze em on the spot. Easy Peazy.

I like the paper plate idea. Clever.

The nice thing about the freezer paper then vac is that it vacs up tight (as long as the shrimp are not prev frozen) and it saves me a lot of freezer space (well - maybe not that much as I don't really catch that many).

Anybody going for fresh shrimp better check the revised tunnel schedule for RR maintenance.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

This is how I do mine..then stack them in light cardboard boxes. I am now officially shrimpless...

Wife wants to eat the very last of the few we had from last year tonight...since I am at home working instead of shrimping/fishing/camping like I am sposed to be. Going to try to head out Sunday now if it lays down.

Its a bit more work but I peel all mine, place them in on of those zipploc containers, add a small amout of water, and freeze. Once frozen you can run them under cold water and they pop out of the container then I vac pac thoses. It is a little more work on the front end but its nice to lay some out in the morning and not have to peel them right before dinner. They peel a lot better if you leave them on ice for 24hrs.

I LIKE that idea! (of sandwiching between two paper plates)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast