Thread: Bowhunters...

Default Bowhunters...

This forum is not the first place I look to "hang out"...

That said, who here hunts with a bow all the time?

When Im bowhunting, I use a bow all the time. When Im not bowhunting, I use a gun
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

I hunted with a longbow exclusively for about 20 years because, well, I thought I was too good to hunt with a gun. When my son became old enough to hunt he hunted with a bow and a rifle. He got me back into rifle hunting every couple hunts and I'm glad he did. I now hunt with both and I love it.

When I hunt, it's with a bow. Nothing against guns. In fact, the last moose I took was with my 45-70 camp gun but that's another story. I've hunted exclusively with a bow and arrow for over 22+ years. If I'm not hunting with a bow, I'm hunting a bow. I spend far more time in the shop searching for the perfect bow and arrow setup hiding in the wood pile than I do actually hunting with it. It helps drag my seasons out all year long. I don't think of it as being above a gun hunter. It's really a sickness that consumes most of my time. I'm not as successful as some but it really is satisfying when it all comes together.

Quote Originally Posted by Boud'arc View Post
    When I hunt, it's with a bow. Nothing against guns. In fact, the last moose I took was with my 45-70 camp gun but that's another story. I've hunted exclusively with a bow and arrow for over 22+ years. If I'm not hunting with a bow, I'm hunting a bow. I spend far more time in the shop searching for the perfect bow and arrow setup hiding in the wood pile than I do actually hunting with it. It helps drag my seasons out all year long. I don't think of it as being above a gun hunter. It's really a sickness that consumes most of my time. I'm not as successful as some but it really is satisfying when it all comes together.
    Right on! I've been bowhunting for 63-years now, and I'll never get away from my favorite bamboo longbow, 11/32" Port Orford wood arrows, white balloon fletching, and my 165-grain Howard Hill broadheads. Guess I'm just too old to change . . .

I have only taken 2 moose with a gun since 1995. I have taken 16 with a bow and 17 with a firearm all these many years I have been hunting here. Hope to nail another one with the bow this fall.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Yes, all the time...

the last moose I took was with my 45-70 camp gun but that's another story. I've hunted exclusively with a bow and arrow for over 22+ years. If I'm not hunting with a bow, I'm hunting a bow.
    Sounds like you only hunt with a bow. Period. So you DLP'd the moose with a 45-70 or something? Or you were poaching? I can't think of many scenarios that wouldn't classify killing a moose as hunting, by any method. I want to hear the story.

I still want to hear the 45-70 moose story! I don't care how much time you spend shopping for the right bow. It's always worth talking about a 45-70 camp gun moose kill. I'm a bowhunter at heart, but I have definitely handed my bow to my buddy in exchange for a rifle, which he so graciously carried for me, to drop a critter beyond bow range. Oddly enough, any gun kill I've been a part of has ended up within bow range.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...rst-float-hunt

Injun Joe, put this in your pipe a smoke it. Next time keep you foul accusations to yourself.

Long bow for me. Its been tough hunting in Alaska but its been fun.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak kid View Post
    Long bow for me. Its been tough hunting in Alaska but its been fun.
    It's good to see someone else hunts with a stick and string.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...rst-float-hunt

Injun Joe, put this in your pipe a smoke it. Next time keep you foul accusations to yourself.
    Hey Boud'arc, take it easy on injun joe. It seems he's not really a bow hunter. It appears that he's simply a game killer. That's still allowed under the law. It seems that he has a bit to learn yet about stalking, game habits, and patience in the field.

I took a caribou with a rifle to fill a draw tag after I returned to AK from cancer treatment in the L48 a couple of years ago. Last year a whitetail on the opening of gun season with my grandson. Except for that.... bow all the time. Heading to Africa in Sept. and it will be bow only.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly 2 View Post
    Hey Boud'arc, take it easy on injun joe. It seems he's not really a bow hunter. It appears that he's simply a game killer. That's still allowed under the law. It seems that he has a bit to learn yet about stalking, game habits, and patience in the field.
    Laughable, considering his first bear ever was a spot and stalk from 2 miles out, culminating in a beautiful stalk and a 16 yard shot and a dead bear. Albeit not a very big one.

I could go on.

But its much more internet cool to proclaim I hunt with a bow and only a bow (a longbow at that-no training wheels for this superior hunter) except for that last time I shot a goat with my rifle. But I wasn't really hunting then. I mean I was, but I wasn't. It just happened.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Laughable, considering his first bear ever was a spot and stalk from 2 miles out, culminating in a beautiful stalk and a 16 yard shot and a dead bear. Albeit not a very big one.

I could go on.

But its much more internet cool to proclaim I hunt with a bow and only a bow (a longbow at that-no training wheels for this superior hunter) except for that last time I shot a goat with my rifle. But I wasn't really hunting then. I mean I was, but I wasn't. It just happened.
    Please do go on. You say the bear was small? Was it a cub? Did he shoot a cub? How about that goat? Did you have a tag? I want to hear more about the goat. Did you poach it?

This is why I'm all but done with this forum. A man asked a question about what folks hunt with and internet snipers come on and throw accusations and comments that they would never say in person.

B'arc. No point in leaving its on every forum.

To the op. What does it really matter?

Its a personal decision, to or not to. Crap like this only opens the doors for folks to sling rocks. Never fails!