Thread: question for folks with injured backs

Default question for folks with injured backs

I hurt my back last year (crushed l4,l5 discs and fractured vertebrae) so I only can sleep on fairly soft mattresses it seems. My question is for those that are NOT back packing in, is there a air matress that someone can recommend that is reliable and worthy of tent sleeping? Or a self inflating pad? Im not to concerned with weight, it will be carried by the truck or worst case scenario the utv.

Shayno...I feel your pain. Literally.

I've struggled finding something that works. A couple of 3" camp foams worked ok stacked on top of each other. Definitely not packable. In the backcountry I used 2 older Thermarests stacked as well. Worked OK, but I thrashed around all night.

This year I'm going to try a Thermarest Neoair Dream or an Exped Mega Mat...not really backpackable, but smaller than foam.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Default Mattress for bad backs

I have a fusion of L4, L5 and S1 combined with a replaced right hip. For the past few years I have found the foam pads from Fred Meyer to be the best for me. I have found that two 3" pads work best. The bottom pad is either an inflatable or a firmer 3" pad. The firmness of the upper pad is based on your comfort level. I like a firmer pad so a single 3" pad on an inflatable is firm enough that I can sleep on the floor at home. I have the problem of having to sleep on my left side so it creates a pressure point if I don't have sufficient depth. Hope this is helpful.

Just to add that the foam pads are available in many densities. Too soft and your have pressure points. Too hard and it's not comfortable. Just Right, is great!!!

The adjustable mattress in the motor home helps a lot.

I have herniated discs from L3-S1 and have for 25 years. Today, I use a neo-air 2.5" inflatable on a Thermarest cot. The cot weighs <2 lbs and the mattress is about 13-oz. IMO, soft mattresses make my pain go up, firm mattresses a little better when flairs occur. There's a few models out there which might give you more air cushion depth, but they weigh more. If weight is critical in the big picture, can't go wrong with NeoAir.

I feel your pain on rigorous hunts, but i sleep well with the sleep system above, 50mg benadryl, and two aleve every night.

It is what it is...adaptation and override mode most hunts.

LB

I used a Thermarest for years but never really liked it.....just assumed it was as good as it gets. Then I bought a Big Agnes and couldn't believe the difference! Feels like I am sleeping on a bed.

Tag for future ref. thx guys

Quote Originally Posted by RLK7 View Post
    I have a fusion of L4, L5 and S1 combined with a replaced right hip. For the past few years I have found the foam pads from Fred Meyer to be the best for me. I have found that two 3" pads work best. The bottom pad is either an inflatable or a firmer 3" pad. The firmness of the upper pad is based on your comfort level. I like a firmer pad so a single 3" pad on an inflatable is firm enough that I can sleep on the floor at home. I have the problem of having to sleep on my left side so it creates a pressure point if I don't have sufficient depth. Hope this is helpful.
    I'm avoiding a fusion.. I'm far to young for that. Did the fusion help at all?

I tried "foam" camp pads, they sorta work, but they are tough to keep dry and somewhat clean.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    I have herniated discs from L3-S1 and have for 25 years. Today, I use a neo-air 2.5" inflatable on a Thermarest cot. The cot weighs <2 lbs and the mattress is about 13-oz. IMO, soft mattresses make my pain go up, firm mattresses a little better when flairs occur. There's a few models out there which might give you more air cushion depth, but they weigh more. If weight is critical in the big picture, can't go wrong with NeoAir.

I feel your pain on rigorous hunts, but i sleep well with the sleep system above, 50mg benadryl, and two aleve every night.

It is what it is...adaptation and override mode most hunts.

LB
    I didn't know there were cots that lightweight! I was thinking of trying a cot and a 3" pad. Kinda pricey but was thinking of one of those cabelas thick ones. Kinda strange, but if I can sleep with my feet off the bed it helps my back, so a cot helps alot.

So, the best thing I can do for my bad back is leave my mattress at home. Sleeping on uneven, hard ground is actually great for my back. Of course your mileage may vary.

For comfort, I have found the Therma-rest Neo-Air Dream to be unrivaled. It's 4+ lb, but it inflates to 3-inches, is very firm and flat with plenty of width to roll over without rolling off of the mattress. Most comfortable air mattress I've ever used. I bring it car camping. Don't know if it would help your back or not...

I have been dealin with back pain (11 surgeries and fusion of every lumbar disc + a cervical and the S1 disc) for many years now so believe me when I say that I know about back pain and trying to find something comfortable to sleep on. I have tried all the pads and rolls and blowup mattresses out there and finally found the Chase Lounge made by Timer Ridge. They are sold at Costco rite now. I can get four hours straight on those before my back starts hurtin. Plus they keep you off the ground so you have a place to sit in the am as well. Good luck...
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    I have been dealin with back pain (11 surgeries and fusion of every lumbar disc + a cervical and the S1 disc) for many years now so believe me when I say that I know about back pain and trying to find something comfortable to sleep on. I have tried all the pads and rolls and blowup mattresses out there and finally found the Chase Lounge made by Timer Ridge. They are sold at Costco rite now. I can get four hours straight on those before my back starts hurtin. Plus they keep you off the ground so you have a place to sit in the am as well. Good luck...

ill check that out. I will be in anchorage tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by shayno View Post
    I'm avoiding a fusion.. I'm far to young for that. Did the fusion help at all?

I tried "foam" camp pads, they sorta work, but they are tough to keep dry and somewhat clean.
    I was forced into it by a spinal Cyst that had to be removed. I was unable to walk when I went ti the Seattle VA for surgery and two days later I walked out of the hospital. I have no regrets. The surgery was in 2007 and I still hunt and fish, but can't carry heavy weight any longer. I need younger guys to help me set up bait stations and haul out animals.

So went to cabelas today to check out the sleep pad selection. Low and behold they had their ultimate cabelas 3" pads for under 100$, (169$ regular) on clearance! Bought 2 big ones and one double. The double is so it can be divided for the kids. I like the cushion and think with a cot it will be good for me. Time will tell...

Riton Riton, I recon u will know by how fast yur up and movin around the next mornin and/or if you get any sleep that nite. I hope it works for you buddy..
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

I have had a bad back since 2002 and have been using thermarest neoair for quite sometime now. I highly recommend it. L3, 4,and 5 issues for me and i sleep great and wake up refreshed on the neoair, and it is very packable.

Not to detract from the OP's intent but, for those of you's with bad backs and avoided/don't want a surgery..... Have any of you looked into 'laser' surgery? My 72, now 83 yr old mother suffered back pain for a decade and my sister finally set up appointments in Phoenix for her at 82. They did 'day surgery' on her, kept her in Phoenix for a few days to check her out and then off she flew back to Mn.
    During that surgery the docs discovered one other problem spot that they said they had spotted and that they would like to address that problem to completely alliveiate her discomfort. Sure enough, her pain was greatly relieved after the first 'operation' (if u can call day surgery that) and a few months later flew back down to Phoenix and had the second laser surgery. Complete relief and pain free today!
    Perhaps not for everyone, but if an 82 yr old can do it, surely some others should look into it. I've heard too many horror stories of post operative problems/complications from traditional back surgeries. When I spoke to Mom the day after her procedures, I couldn't believe how nonchalant she was! Up and walking and completely comfortable. I was amazed.
    LASER SURGERY. Check it out. I heard they do it at the Mayo in Mn. now also. Good luck with your backs guys. Been there like about everyone else a time or two. Just not permanent fortunately.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!