Thread: 12 volt water heater

Default 12 volt water heater

Im trying to finish my Glacier Craft boat after 7 years of waiting. Its really hard to fork out money for this stuff since I paid for everything in 2008 when i purchased it. Finally i decided to turn the lawn ornament into something useful.......a boat.
    I am looking for a water heater and need some advice. Do i go with a 120v set up or a 12v. It looks like whale pumps makes a 3 gallon 12v water heater that can hook directly to the batteries. Im not electrically inclined so i dont know if there are any other benefits or huge expenses to having 120v water heater or just having 120v available on board.

Any suggestions are welcome!

The propane (hot water on demand) out of the question? Think they use a 12v system for ignition and pump.
    ~Beer Drinkin don't do half the harm of love makin~. Old New England Proverb
    * 1991 24' Almar Jetline Cabin-cruiser * 2004 16' Lund * 1955 17' Grumman Canoe
    - MMSI# 338169948

overtime,

I have a 120 volt water heater and it is great at the slip with power. I would rather have the 12 volt my self and will install that very one this summer. Its when your out for a few days and want to take a hot shower is when the 12 volt would be very nice. I don't have a permenant gen on my boat but I do carry 2 honda 2000 gens and a can of gas on board. I am doing away with all propane on my boat except the barbique until I can get a small treager $$$ then no more propane! Glad you asked and shared the 12 volt water heater. That is what I would do on your boat if it were me.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." Doug Larson

Quote Originally Posted by AKcaveman View Post
    overtime,

I have a 120 volt water heater and it is great at the slip with power. I would rather have the 12 volt my self and will install that very one this summer. Its when your out for a few days and want to take a hot shower is when the 12 volt would be very nice. I don't have a permenant gen on my boat but I do carry 2 honda 2000 gens and a can of gas on board. I am doing away with all propane on my boat except the barbique until I can get a small treager $$$ then no more propane! Glad you asked and shared the 12 volt water heater. That is what I would do on your boat if it were me.
    Interesting, looking at the spec I would have thought the 120vac unit would be a better choice.

The 120vac 1250w heater will heat water a lot faster than the 12v, 360w unit. Per there web site “you will have hot water in less than an hour”.

The S300w, 12vdc heater draws 30 amps. If the boat has outboards you don't have 30 amps to spare. So you will still need a 2000w generator and a 60 amp marine charger to keep from draining the house batteries.

MacGyver,

True, I have 3, 8D batteries and no outboards. Only have the generators on board if I need 120 AC for microwave or to recharge the batteries if needed or to run the hot water heater, oh and for the Ninja blender for Margaritas. The 120 AC will heat the water up in about 20 min from cold to hot with the gens. I will carry the gens for sure any ways, maybe I should not switch. It would be nice to not have to dig them out and set them up each time you wanted hot water for a shower. But you have a point. i wish they made one like my fridge with AC/DC power options.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." Doug Larson

Quote Originally Posted by AKcaveman View Post
    MacGyver,

It would be nice to not have to dig them out and set them up each time you wanted hot water for a shower. But you have a point. i wish they made one like my fridge with AC/DC power options.
    You already have the AC side covered, all you need to do is add a 2000/3000 watt inverter and your in business. The three 8D's should handle the 110+ amps draw on the batteries. The most expenses parts may be the battery cables.

buy a Zodi shower kit.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    buy a Zodi shower kit.
    Couldn't agree more!
    Bk