Thread: Top soil

Default Top soil

Ground finally dry enough to start building new garden beds. Who would have the best deal on top soil near Church & Pittman in Wasilla?

Quote Originally Posted by p.j. View Post
    Ground finally dry enough to start building new garden beds. Who would have the best deal on top soil near Church & Pittman in Wasilla?
    My wife says if you are willing to pay a little more than extra, there is a guy on the end of Marsh road in Palmer. Quality Topsoil is his name. His soil is the best for gardening according to my wife. He even sells a mixture of topsoil and cow manure, which is great for gardening. Don't go to T & J. Their top soil is cheaper but really gravelly. ABC tool rental has lower priced topsoil but it is much better quality than T & J.

You don't want straight topsoil for your garden if you're planning to grow food. For grass it is fine, but for a garden you want some organics in there. I went with Susitna Organics and my garden has way outperformed my expectations. A bit more expensive for their garden soil, but so worth it.

Another thought about top soil. If you are buying "pit run" soil that is just scraped up and sold you run the chance of a major weed problem.

I was all happy with my load of Palmer dirt until the chick weed started on the pile. I am still fighting it years later. Ok, that's not quite true. I have given up. We can all co-exist with a little compromise.

It actually comes in useful. I send a 5 gallon bucket to my sister in Idaho. She makes some kind of tea with it that she swears cures shingles. My brother says people come to her from miles around for the tea. Who knows?
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

We bought from T&J last year to to top over some raw dirt we had pulled out of another area of the yard with a backhoe. In the end we spent hours as a family picking rocks from it. Then found that the grass grew better in areas we didn't top coat with that trash. We ended up buying bags of soil and adding another 2-3" of quality topping at exorbitant expense. I won't use them for topsoil again.

PM me if you want a few wheel barrow loads of HM compost to mix in.
    Have enough to sell a little to get you started.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Manure-compost