Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The new ADF&G management style.

Default The new ADF&G management style.

It looks like the new management style is if they don't have the funding to do stock assessment their answer is to not open the season. So in K-Bay we have a large year class of Tanner Crab reaching harvest size, and only the Otters can eat them again. Now it looks like the Anchor River may not have funding for King counts. No smolt counts for Sockeye. On a good note mud worms are doing great, and so Voles. What are they doing with our money? We need to hold ADF&G accountable for what they do with our money before we give them more.

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    It looks like the new management style is if they don't have the funding to do stock assessment their answer is to not open the season. So in K-Bay we have a large year class of Tanner Crab reaching harvest size, and only the Otters can eat them again. Now it looks like the Anchor River may not have funding for King counts. No smolt counts for Sockeye. On a good note mud worms are doing great, and so Voles. What are they doing with our money? We need to hold ADF&G accountable for what they do with our money before we give them more.
    This issue of funding priorities goes back a long way in ADF&G. The commercial fishery budget is mostly general fund which allows for flexibility. The sport fish management dollars are general fund but most of their money comes from federal funds. Those funds have limitations on them as to their use. However, in the last decade ADF&G has not done a good job of figuring out their mission and priorities. Long term sockeye counting projects like Crescent River are cancelled while short term projects with little benefit are continued. In addition, in Sport Fish Division there has been a push to keep personnel and cut projects. This is what BC did and they ended up with lots of biologists sitting around with no data to work on. It is a balance and unfortunately with the last Commissioner there was no real leadership to relook at the whole Department budget and structure. I agree with you that ADF&G needs to be accountable but first I would like to see them come to the table with a full rationale and discussion of their budget priorities. Like any state agency they have to do some stuff because of the politics of the game.

What I would like to see is ADF&G put a sunset clause on any closed sport fishery or hunt.
    Ideally with a 5 year clause but certainly no more than 10 years.
    What I am thinking is that every 5 or 10 years they should have to review why they closed what they did and show the public why it should remain closed.
    That way we don't have fisheries or hunts closed indefinitely and we have no idea why they have been closed for 20+ years.
    Yes it might cost ADF&G a little more money but I am tired of things getting closed and we wonder what happened forever.
    Things like our crab fisheries or our shrimp fishery in Homer.
    Now that our razor clam fishery is closed on the east side it would be nice to see them check it every so often.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

The offer of taking an ADF&G tec out and doing a stock assessment at no cost for tanners in K-Bay was turned down.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    What I would like to see is ADF&G put a sunset clause on any closed sport fishery or hunt.
    What I am thinking is that every 5 or 10 years they should have to review why they closed what they did and show the public why it should remain closed.
    That way we don't have fisheries or hunts closed indefinitely and we have no idea why they have been closed for 20+ years.
    Yes it might cost ADF&G a little more money but I am tired of things getting closed and we wonder what happened forever.
    Now that our razor clam fishery is closed on the east side it would be nice to see them check it every so often.
    Speaking of closed fisheries......... who here knows why Soldotna creek was closed to any fishing....???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Speaking of closed fisheries......... who here knows why Soldotna creek was closed to any fishing....???
    Is this just for this year? It may be a result of the planned killing of pike with chemicals. Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerka View Post
    Is this just for this year? It may be a result of the planned killing of pike with chemicals. Not sure.
    Nerka - The Soldotna Rotenone project will have a duration of 4 years. There will be no fish to catch in Soldotna Creek until 2019 at the earliest.

I don't know what I think about that... probably it is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    Nerka - The Soldotna Rotenone project will have a duration of 4 years. There will be no fish to catch in Soldotna Creek until 2019 at the earliest.

I don't know what I think about that... probably it is necessary.
    Again is this closure just for 2015? Or is a long standing closure Amerguide is asking about?

Again is this closure just for 2015? Or is a long standing closure Amerguide is asking about?
    I don't know, but unless I don't understand something, I would expect that an ongoing Rotenone project would result in a fishery closure for the duration of the project.

Can't say for sure, but I recently moved and because the creek is basically just across the street from me now I decided to check on it. I think I saw that it was closed in the regulation booklet a couple years ago now. I guess I had just assumed that it had been closed for some time. It said something about only being open for a distance around where it drops into the Kenai.

I tried looking it up now online and all I find is about the project to kill off the pike.....

This is one reason groups adn individuals lobby so hard against regulatory closures and restrictions at BOF meetings. It is very easy to close, very tough to reopen.

I think you mean the Board of Fish. ADF&G cannot use emergency order authority to close for more than the legal year they are in. The Board of Fish can close fisheries for long periods. ADF&G does update the Board every cycle on the status of stocks so for right now that is every three years.

I think you mean the Board of Fish. ADF&G cannot use emergency order authority to close for more than the legal year they are in. The Board of Fish can close fisheries for long periods. ADF&G does update the Board every cycle on the status of stocks so for right now that is every three years.
    Ha. Greahehehesey! I would totally do that if the leg. meets and doesn't act on an appointments as they are supposed to.

It's their choice to approve or decline an appointment, but I don't like the notion that they might not act at all. That's their job.

And I wonder if now that this joint meeting isn't their last order of business, that idea is an option?

Ok somehow I replied to the wrong post on the wrong thread. Hahahahaha. More coffee...

Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    This is one reason groups and individuals lobby so hard against regulatory closures and restrictions at BOF meetings. It is very easy to close, very tough to reopen.
    You are exactly right. Very easy to close but so hard to open.

OK so the board of fish needs to do it.
    I'm not believing that they do a stock assessment on everything every three years.
    Can you provide a link to a shrimp stock assessment done in the last three years in the Homer/Kachemak bay area? King or Dungeness crab?
    Those are the types of fisheries that we don't hear about anymore. The ones that friends tell me they used to do in their younger years that I know have been closed forever.
    Without a stock assessment we would never know if/when they have recovered.
    I'll search myself some but as I recall I couldn't find the shrimp info online newer than the 1997 study.
    That's 18 years with out a stock assessment if that is truly the most recent study.

OK so the board of fish needs to do it.
    I'm not believing that they do a stock assessment on everything every three years.
    Can you provide a link to a shrimp stock assessment done in the last three years in the Homer/Kachemak bay area? King or Dungeness crab?
    Those are the types of fisheries that we don't hear about anymore. The ones that friends tell me they used to do in their younger years that I know have been closed forever.
    Without a stock assessment we would never know if/when they have recovered.
    I'll search myself some but as I recall I couldn't find the shrimp info online newer than the 1997 study.
    That's 18 years with out a stock assessment if that is truly the most recent study.
    I found a management report from 2006 that has data

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/FedAidPDFs/sp06-09.pdf

However, the ADF&G web site is not up to date on Lower Cook Inlet Management Reports or they are not doing them anymore. Not sure what the story is on this. I am hold up in my house recovering from knee surgery but will check with staff next week.

I found a management report from 2006 that has data

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/FedAidPDFs/sp06-09.pdf

However, the ADF&G web site is not up to date on Lower Cook Inlet Management Reports or they are not doing them anymore. Not sure what the story is on this. I am hold up in my house recovering from knee surgery but will check with staff next week.
    Thanks for that link.
    I guess it would help if the website were up to date. I started reading it and will read some more when I have time.
    I did see it said it was a review of the commercial fishery.
    I am more interested in the possibility of a sport fishery for these species. We would presumably need less abundance to have an open sport fishery.
    I do think ADF&G needs to publish this in a way so more of the public sees it. I get asked about these fisheries all the time by people interested in them and it's often hard to find any data on it.
    Thanks for checking on this stuff.
    Hope your Knee heals well.

The restriction has been in place since at least 2010. I didn't go back any further than 2010.

From 5 AAC 57.121

(2) the following waters of the Kenai River are closed to sport fishing, as follows:

(A) from April 15 - August 15, Slikok Creek;

(B) from January 1 - December 31, the flowing waters of Soldotna Creek upstream of ADF&G markers located approximately 100 feet upstream from its confluence with the Kenai River;
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    The restriction has been in place since at least 2010. I didn't go back any further than 2010.

From 5 AAC 57.121

(2) the following waters of the Kenai River are closed to sport fishing, as follows:

(A) from April 15 - August 15, Slikok Creek;

(B) from January 1 - December 31, the flowing waters of Soldotna Creek upstream of ADF&G markers located approximately 100 feet upstream from its confluence with the Kenai River;
    That's what I thought......that it had been closed for some time. I take it we still don't know why...???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast