Thread: K-Bay tanner crab

Default K-Bay tanner crab

The real reason no crabbing in K-Bay this year is no funding for test fishing! So it looks like if F&G can't get the funding they want they will just close season.

What a bummer I sure loved that fishery.
    Those Crabs tasted awesome as well.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    What a bummer I sure loved that fishery.
    Those Crabs tasted awesome as well.
    I know........ I sure miss how years ago a guy used to be able to come back with halibut AND a bunch of dungies from the inlet as well. Didn't even need a pot.....we'd just attach a ball of old mono fishing line to the anchor with a few herring tied up in it. They'd get all tangled up in it and it worked like a charm....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Awe the good old days. I cry every time I see my dungy pots in the corner of the shed. Thinking maybe one day I will get to use them again.

If they open this fishery up again I'd like to see it opened after September. The reason is that the pressure would be a lot less on it. If it's opened up in July when all the snowbirds and tourists are here you can't hardly go through the bay without a having a full time slalom while driving. If it opened in September it may be something that could be sustained. By then most people are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Awe the good old days. I cry every time I see my dungy pots in the corner of the shed. Thinking maybe one day I will get to use them again.
    Yep, those big halibut and dungy crab feeds........now THAT was livin'...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

And king crab off the dock for $0.75/lb!

I posted this on another thread but felt it applies here as well.
    Why are our Dungie and king crab as well as shrimp in homer still closed? What are the numbers like now?

What I would like to see is ADF&G put a sunset clause on any closed sport fishery or hunt.
    Ideally with a 5 year clause but certainly no more than 10 years.
    What I am thinking is that every 5 or 10 years they should have to review why they closed what they did and show the public why it should remain closed.
    That way we don't have fisheries or hunts closed indefinitely and we have no idea why they have been closed for 20+ years.
    Yes it might cost ADF&G a little more money but I am tired of things getting closed and we wonder what happened forever.
    Things like our crab fisheries or our shrimp fishery in Homer.
    Now that our razor clam fishery is closed on the east side it would be nice to see them check it every so often.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    If they open this fishery up again I'd like to see it opened after September. The reason is that the pressure would be a lot less on it. If it's opened up in July when all the snowbirds and tourists are here you can't hardly go through the bay without a having a full time slalom while driving. If it opened in September it may be something that could be sustained. By then most people are gone.
    The dates have been changed. New dates are sept 1-dec31, then jan 15-March 15. That is IF IT OPENS... still closed by EO.
    I have not heard anything about a lack of funding for surveys, I know some studies are ongoing and continue to be funded, but the one I am thinking of is not an abundance study, it is focused on gathering information about molt timing and meat fill.
    Based on anecdotal evidence from test pots (again, not an abundance survey) there was a big cohort of just sub-legal crabs in the areas we were putting test pots. I will find out about the funding question.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

What I found out...
    the cohort of upcoming crab I mentioned is not, based on last years trawl survey, abundant enough to dictate an opening even if they all would be legal this year. Also, I sorta forgot( my bad) that the last two sample periods we got zero (seriously, ZERO) crabs in 4 out of 5 pots. These pots were set in areas I thought would have crab based on personal experience, NOT where F&G said to. Since crab is managed based on a three year average of harvestable crab, NO MATTER what the trawl survey could or might find this year there is not going to be enough legal crab biomass to make an opener.
    As far as funding for a trawl survey, that is a weird area because though the tanner crab fishery is technically under sport purview, the trawl survey is a comm fish project and comm fish is suffering cuts under the current budget. Paradoxically, sport fish has plenty of money due to the current glut of P-R funding but there is no easy way to use that for anything commercial, and the trawl survey could (theoretically) determine a mandated comm opener if crab abundance hit a predetermined ( and nowhere close to reality) number. There you have it in a cliff notes version.

Here's my simple idea of where all the crab went. Fishery was open during colder weather so full pots of undersized crab were dumped on deck for sorting and "hey i'm like the deadliest catch" pictures !! meanwhile crab laying on deck were freezing so even though the undersized crab were thrown back lets say 25% of them later died from being frozen and the rest crawled into the next waiting pots to get hauled up again to freeze another 25% to death so how long do you think it took to kill all the crab off ? F&G should of made bigger vents/escape rings mandatory in those pots and a good portion of the problem of taking to many undersized crab would have been eliminated and more than likely we would still have a fishery. I tried telling them about using bigger vents but they basically told me "you know nothing".

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

We have also had an explosion of otters in Kbay. They are lean mean crab eating machines! Our Dungies declined about the same time that shooting of otters was banned down there.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Our Dungies declined about the same time that shooting of otters was banned down there.
    shooting of otters has never been banned, you just need to be an Alaska native and there isn't much interest.
    The decline also coincided with the advent of oyster farms and pink salmon hatcheries ( both planktonic filter feeders that would eat crab nauplii) and the loss of eelgrass habitat on the east side of the spit and elsewhere that was crucial to the rearing of baby dungies. Lots of smoking guns, but no obvious culprit.

just to clear things up my post was aimed at the tanner fishery not the dungies, i'll be the 1st to admit i know very little about that fishery.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692