Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 hunting pics

Someday I will travel to Canada in search of a color phase bear. We don't get any here at all. My wife wants to hunt Saskatchewan but I just want a cinnamon or a blond would be even better... November bear BowDoe

Quote Originally Posted by BowDoe View Post
    Thanks for the tip, I'm new to this social media stuff! Thanks for the props too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You bet.......and welcome to the forum...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 0321Tony View Post
    Someday I will travel to Canada in search of a color phase bear. We don't get any here at all. My wife wants to hunt Saskatchewan but I just want a cinnamon or a blond would be even better... November bear BowDoe
    I've seen over 20 cinnamon bears on one moose hunt in Alaska. They are here.

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    I've seen over 20 cinnamon bears on one moose hunt in Alaska. Just gotta know where to find the,
    I know they get em up north but here on the peninsula they are all but nonexistent.
    If you wanted to share though I'd be all ears...

Well actually the Fed's down here thinks there must be thousands because they still think brown bears are becoming extinct here. A 10' cinnamon would be cool.

I know they get em up north but here on the peninsula they are all but nonexistent.
    If you wanted to share though I'd be all ears...

Well actually the Fed's down here thinks there must be thousands because they still think brown bears are becoming extinct here. A 10' cinnamon would be cool.
    Ah gotcha. I thought ya just meant in Alaska. My goal is to find a nice white patch bear.

Quote Originally Posted by J in AK View Post
    Ah gotcha. I thought ya just meant in Alaska. My goal is to find a nice white patch bear.
    I have seen one with a white chest and unfortunately it wasn't my turn to shoot. It was over in unit 9. I have been looking for one of those myself and if I ever find another it's getting put on the wall as a half mount. I do need to do some research and find a cinnamon here in the state but haven't sat down to do that yet.. I've herd of them around fairbanks and a few in the Talkeetna area. I wonder why we never see them here that's always intrigued me.

I have seen one with a white chest and unfortunately it wasn't my turn to shoot. It was over in unit 9. I have been looking for one of those myself and if I ever find another it's getting put on the wall as a half mount. I do need to do some research and find a cinnamon here in the state but haven't sat down to do that yet.. I've herd of them around fairbanks and a few in the Talkeetna area. I wonder why we never see them here that's always intrigued me.
    Do you remember Steve, the owner of Steve's Taxidermy? He had a life size cinnimon bear in his shop that if I recall he killed here on the Kenai years ago.....

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Do you remember Steve, the owner of Steve's Taxidermy? He had a life size cinnimon bear in his shop that if I recall he killed here on the Kenai years ago.....
    I remember the taxidermy shop but don't think I ever met him. I was talking to Lary Lewis about colored bears and he said he had only ever sealed one from the peninsula and it came from Port dick. I also have a buddy of mine that found a glacier bear while flying near tustumena in an an area that no man would want to walk to he said it was the coolest bear he had ever seen.

I remember the taxidermy shop but don't think I ever met him. I was talking to Lary Lewis about colored bears and he said he had only ever sealed one from the peninsula and it came from Port dick. I also have a buddy of mine that found a glacier bear while flying near tustumena in an an area that no man would want to walk to he said it was the coolest bear he had ever seen.
    Awhile back I mentioned that the little blackie I killed back in 86', as far as I knew was black-black. Since I moved I have the hide in a different location and the morning sun will hit it for a few minutes. One morning I happened to walk past it and noticed a brownish tint coming off of it. I picked it up and really started looking at it in the sunlight. Indeed, it actually is a super dark, dark....almost coffee like, dark chocolate. When put up against the last blackie I killed a couple years ago in the same light, which IS black, only then can you really tell it's not actually black. Hard to believe I hadn't noticed that in all these years.

From what I've heard the glacier bear hides have quite a noticeable bluish tint to them........correct?

Took this bear after an AOD friend invited me on a hunting trip this past weekend. Hunting was slow at first, but persistence always seems to pay off!

Thanks Carl!
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

I've seen a few cinnamons from over near Tok/Mcarthy area.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

From what I've heard the glacier bear hides have quite a noticeable bluish tint to them........correct?
    Yeah you'd know it right off if you saw one!

J in AK, I've seen a few whitepatch blackies here in the Juneau area, and several cinnamon's as well. Pretty scraggly fur this time of year with the heat (yesterdays cinnamon looked aweful!) but they fluff up nice by September, the fish and cold nights help!

Default Marmot

Just bears and marmots so far this spring, been too busy in the shop to do anything it seems.

Heres an adult male hoary marmot.

Hoytguy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

That's a purty one Hoyt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Just bears and marmots so far this spring, been too busy in the shop to do anything it seems.

Heres an adult male hoary marmot.

Hoytguy
    maybe I'm stupid but what the heck do you do with one of those critters? eat them? make a hat?

Quote Originally Posted by wenzelldo View Post
    maybe I'm stupid but what the heck do you do with one of those critters? eat them? make a hat?
    I'm selective of the ones I take. Try to only get adult males. I've ate 1, didn't care for it.. Then again I cooked it 20 minutes after I shot it, pretty tough and smelled like marmot. I salvage the skins, tan some. Mount some and sell some. I've only went once this year saw 15 or 16 and took the 1 pictured. Their fun to hunt. Good exercise leading up to goat season and that's about it. My daughter hunts em too.

I I posted a pic a while back in the mount photo gallery of a pedestal one I did this past winter

Hoytguy
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

Opening Day Boar. 2 shots .338win @ 80yards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a young guy named Joey up here in Fairbanks. He was a "volunteer" assistant guide for a registered guide in the Western Alaska Range who has a food supply problem with his camps last year and lost a bunch of his gear but got his client a very nice broomed ram. He had a hell of an experience. Karma paid him back and he got a really nice goat and the biggest glacier bear that I have ever seen from the Kenai Peninsula. He really didn't think it was any big deal except that it was extremely big (I think 20 inch) and I told him by god, you were paid back for all that stuff you experienced before.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    We have a young guy named Joey up here in Fairbanks. He was a "volunteer" assistant guide for a registered guide in the Western Alaska Range who has a food supply problem with his camps last year and lost a bunch of his gear but got his client a very nice broomed ram. He had a hell of an experience. Karma paid him back and he got a really nice goat and the biggest glacier bear that I have ever seen from the Kenai Peninsula. He really didn't think it was any big deal except that it was extremely big (I think 20 inch) and I told him by god, you were paid back for all that stuff you experienced before.
    Pics of the Glacier bear please. I'd love to see it

Living like kings

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast