Thread: ???? KENAI Peninsula Brown Bear Skull size For 2014.....???

Default ???? KENAI Peninsula Brown Bear Skull size For 2014.....???

Me not so smart about looking this type stuff up.........but it would be interesting to see the skull sizes for last years Brown Bear harvest on the Kenai Peninsula, relative to harvest location.

Also Skull sizes on the Kenai Peninsula as far back as they have kept records.

Has there ever been any research specific to tracking Kenai Peninsula Brown Bears yearly range.......???

I do not have any interest in hunting Brown Bears at this point in my life. But I would like to see hunters get serious about Trophy KP Brown Bear. By serious I mean, spend the time on a dedicated KP Brown Bear hunt.

I know there are huge Brown Bears on the KP, and yes, I know it is some hard country to hunt, but I would sure like to see resident hunters get serious about harvesting huge brown bears on the KP, and not just tipping over the first brown bear they see.

Good hunting to you.

The old sow I took near Henry Creek had a skull that measured 22 7/8 if I remember correctly. Skin came in at a finished rug size of 8'. Big old fat sow, ADFG was surprised that all the teeth were intact still due to the age. They figured 14yrs or so.

Thanks.......

Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    The old sow I took near Henry Creek had a skull that measured 22 7/8 if I remember correctly. Skin came in at a finished rug size of 8'. Big old fat sow, ADFG was surprised that all the teeth were intact still due to the age. They figured 14yrs or so.

September 2013, I took a large boar, 29 3/16 green, 29 0/16 dried, just out of Sterling.

Congratulations........that is a big bear.

Quote Originally Posted by Bear crawl View Post
    September 2013, I took a large boar, 29 3/16 green, 29 0/16 dried, just out of Sterling.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Congratulations........that is a big bear.

No, that is a monster bear! Wow
    My ‘tiniest’ bear, a 9’7” from unit 15c (southern Kenai Peninsula) has a 26.5 “ skull.
    Info retrieved from this thread.....
    p/140874-Tiniest-bear-I-ever-shot
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!
    WWG1WGA! QANON

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    No, that is a monster bear! Wow
    No, it means he had a monster head!....lol. Unless you're into B&C or P&Y measuring scores, then until he gives us what the bear squared, which I personally believe has great merit, then, to me, "monster" status remains to be seen. Like people, some bears have big heads, some have big feet, and some have big bodies. One big measurement doesn't necessarily equate to the others following suit. I remember a guide that tracked a bear up a riverbed for a couple days because according to the size of his tracks the bear should have been a "monster". But when he finally got to see the bear it was probably closer to 9' and he didn't shoot it. There's the off chance that your bear with a "smaller" head could have squared bigger than this bear. Personally, for whatever it's worth, I like knowing the measurements of the bears body more than the size of head to get an idea of how massive it was....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!