Thread: Reed Lakes

Default Reed Lakes

Weather permitting i am hopefully heading to the Reed Lakes area and am very interested in getting to see this crashed B-29. My question is, what is the condition of the glacier you have to walk across to see it. Do i need crampons and a diaper for when i crap myself falling down a deep crevase? Any knowledge would be helpful, thank you.

Default back atcha

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question, but I do have one for you. What glacier is it that you have to cross to see this crash site? I'm interested in making the trip and would let you know the glacier conditions when I return, but don't know just where to go.

-Carnivore
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

Default bomber

I did that hike last July if I remember correctly. We did the hike-parking lot to bomber and back in about 10 hours. The glacier (Bomber Glacier) was in good shape.
    There was a sheeple trail from the ridge overlooking the crash site to the wreck itself. I could hear water running below me in a few spots-and since I’m not used to glacial travel-was a little nervous. I had a set of ice cleats-not true crampons-and they may have helped. It would have been doable without them when I went, but conditions change, and ice is ice. I’d hate to end up on my belly clawing to get back to the ridge as there it does pitch down to the bomber. I recently picked up a Snowscopic axe/hiking staff, and would definitely take it next time.
    When you get to upper Reed Lake in the cirque, look for the lowest spot on the ridge and aim for it. You will lose sight of it when ascending due to pitch in a few spots, but that will put you at the access point for the bomber run. There is a fairly steep and long slide area down to the glacier.
    I’ve heard that the last pitch to the ridge is one of the more technical climbs without rope, but my wife made it-lost both her big toenails after the fact however…still hear about it.

As far as i can discern its the glacier directly after reaching upper reed lake. Ive also seen a few maps of the area and the crash site is on the other side. Here is a good site for knowledge upon this hike.

http://www.akhs.atfreeweb.com/Hikes/Reedlake.htm#greg

Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. and the link. Very cool web site.

Default Going Sunday

I'm intending to make take this hike on Sunday unless it's pooring rain. I'll post a report after. Today I'm heading up to Matanuska peak.

Unhappy pooring rain

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivore View Post
    I'm intending to make take this hike on Sunday unless it's pooring rain. I'll post a report after. Today I'm heading up to Matanuska peak.
    ...and it was pooring rain. Was a good day to stay home. We'll reschedule for Thursday.

Default Hiked it on the 6th

We went in yesterday. What a beautiful hike. I can't believe I'd never been there. Shortly after we started climbing from the cabin we were in the clouds. Even though we couldn't see much and it started raining on us part in we had a good time. I will definitely be back when the weather is better so I can see more. We went to the far end of the upper lake. Not being able to see any of the ridge lines, we had no idea of where to go to try for the glacier and the crash site so that will have to wait for the next time we go in there.

-Carnivore