Thread: Pressure signs with published load

Default Pressure signs with published load

I'm new to reloading and just started on my new .30-06. I'm loading 180gr Hornady BTSPs with Varget and CCI 200s, and using the data from Hornady. I'm showing some slight cratering even at my starting load of 44.0 grains that gets slightly more pronounced at each increased powder charge up to the maximum of 47.0 grains. Taking into account this is my first rifle caliber i've reloaded, i haven't noticed any other pressure signs that i've read about. I couldn't distinguish any harder extraction than factory. The primers have some very slight flattening. There aren't any pronounced extractor marks, but i have CRF action, so will those even show up? A couple of these recipes turned out to shoot pretty well, without a bench that is, but it's a brand new rifle to me and i'm really cautious about reloading, i don't want to break anything. If anyone has any thoughts, i'd love to hear it. I've found a lot of information saying that both it's a sign of high pressure, and that it's unreliable to use as a sign of pressure. What do you guys have for me? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by livealaska907 View Post
    I'm new to reloading and just started on my new .30-06. I'm loading 180gr Hornady BTSPs with Varget and CCI 200s, and using the data from Hornady. I'm showing some slight cratering even at my starting load of 44.0 grains that gets slightly more pronounced at each increased powder charge up to the maximum of 47.0 grains. Taking into account this is my first rifle caliber i've reloaded, i haven't noticed any other pressure signs that i've read about. I couldn't distinguish any harder extraction than factory. The primers have some very slight flattening. There aren't any pronounced extractor marks, but i have CRF action, so will those even show up? A couple of these recipes turned out to shoot pretty well, without a bench that is, but it's a brand new rifle to me and i'm really cautious about reloading, i don't want to break anything. If anyone has any thoughts, i'd love to hear it. I've found a lot of information saying that both it's a sign of high pressure, and that it's unreliable to use as a sign of pressure. What do you guys have for me? Thanks
    Pictures of the primers might help a bit. In addition to pressures that are too high, there are several other things that can cause "cratering." Have you chronographed the velocity of your loads?
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I'll try to get some pics uploaded. No, i don't have a chrono unfortunately

I can't get the pics to upload, any advice without being able to see my brass?

Nevermind, apparently it worked
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 44gr.jpg   Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 5.50.47 PM.png  

Nevermind, apparently it worked
    Were these pics of the 44gr load or 47?

The case head and round primer cup indicate normal pressures IME. A chronograph would help verify this. As best as I can see, the issue is most likely an enlarged/damaged firing pin hole, not a high pressure issue. If that is the issue it is a fairly common problem and is easily remedied LINK. If that is the cause, you may (should) be able to see some irregularity in the firing pin hole on the bolt face with the naked eye. FWIW, I've had several Winchester Model 70s with this issue, had them repaired, and never another snafu.

Like 1Core stated, A chrono would really assist in finding out whats goin on..

Quote Originally Posted by shimano 33 View Post
    Were these pics of the 44gr load or 47?
    That should be the 47.0gr max load

Great, thanks for the help guys, that puts my mind at ease a lot. I may have a friend with a chrono, so hopefully i can give it a try. I'm going to keep trying to work up a load though and just keep an eye out for any other pressure signs to show up. I'm also on a win model 70 pre 64 type action, so i may give the manufacturer a call and see what they can do. According to them the action has already been blueprinted, should that have taken care of this? or is that not related?

Great, thanks for the help guys, that puts my mind at ease a lot. I may have a friend with a chrono, so hopefully i can give it a try. I'm going to keep trying to work up a load though and just keep an eye out for any other pressure signs to show up. I'm also on a win model 70 pre 64 type action, so i may give the manufacturer a call and see what they can do. According to them the action has already been blueprinted, should that have taken care of this? or is that not related?
    "Blueprinting" means different things to different gunsmiths and I've no idea what they include or don't. I can see from your primer that there appears to be an issue that is most likely the firing pin hole or the firing pin spring being too weak. Remove the bolt from the rifle and check the firing pin hole to see if there is a noticeable flaw. That's free and if you see something, it's decisive.

How many firings has your brass had? Tough to see in the pictures, but it almost looks like the primer pockets might be loose and the primer is backing out. Could that be soot around the edge of the primer?

When you fire factory rounds out of the rifle do the primers look cratered?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I use magnum primers in by '06 with H 4831 I've never seen a cap like that, even up to max loads. My old gun is also a Mdl 70. It may be in part that you have thin walled primers.

It could also be caused by a head space issue.

Quote Originally Posted by div4gold View Post
    It could also be caused by a head space issue.
    Concur. Was thinking the headspace could be a bit long.

Your primer is cratering but as has been mentioned, there are several thing that can cause that without excessive pressure. The primers are still rounded at the edges and no sticky bolt lift. Try the chrono next but I think you will be at a reasonable velocity.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I don't detect any HIGH pressure signs from that picture.

I wouldn't be concerned.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by GD Yankee View Post
    How many firings has your brass had? Tough to see in the pictures, but it almost looks like the primer pockets might be loose and the primer is backing out. Could that be soot around the edge of the primer?
    Yup, this is what I was going to say. You need a chronograph.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

My curiosity would have me first looking into the primer variable. Did those primers "slide" in super easy? I know different brand shotgun primers can vary slightly in size (i.e. rio primers are know to run slightly larger than others) so I would try another brand of primer and see if i get a similar result.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll probably give the rifle company another call and ask if the headspacing is something they do when they "blueprint it" first. On factory loads i didn't notice much cratering, but i can see a tiny bit if i look really hard, so it's probably insignificant. The brass is only on it's second firing, and the primers felt pretty tight when i primed them. Definitely going to try to get it chronographed. Thanks again