Thread: Afognak Elk DE721

Default Afognak Elk DE721

Anyone have any info on this hunt? Searched old threads and haven't come up with much. Any and all advice appreciated. Sounds like a tough hunt anyway you do it.

Thanks

Not sure where that is. Don't have my elk numbers memorized.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Not sure where that is. Don't have my elk numbers memorized.
    It's southeast any elk.

Gotcha. I had south west before.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Here's a somewhat useful thread from way back>> http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...astern-Afognak
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Hunted bear over that way years ago. From what I remember lots of big spruce tree and salmon berry brush. Seen some sheds; but never seen any elk.

Did this hunt 3 years ago. Flew out with Andrew Air and stayed at the Ouzinkie Cabin in Duck Bay as a base (http://www.andrewairways.com/lodging...nke-cabins.pdf). Elk were up on Duck Mtn - it was a long hike from sea level, but you can walk on the logging roads. Natives have permits too and can drive around in pick-ups to spot - you can't. You also need to pay the trespass fee since this hunt is on native land. Hiking off road is super tough. Lots of deadfall / cut timber. Lots of bears too. Saw a decent number of deer and took two, but did not connect on elk. Did the west side elk hunt last year with a friend and drew the tag myself for this fall. It was a much more pleasant hunt (still very physically demanding). No one driving by you in pick ups, no logging in that area in the west of the island. You might call Seahawk Air in Kodiak as well to see if Rolan has insight into any other ways to make your hunt successful. Good luck!

I live on Afognak. The natives won't let non-natives hunt elk on their land starting this year. Us "Saltine Americans" can only hunt elk on federal land. Not much state/federal land here compared to native lands. They won't issue trespass permits for elk but will gladly take your money for other species and hiking/camping. Be sure to check before you get too far into your planning.

Wait a minute. Wasnt it the "Saltine Americans" who put the Elk there. Hummm

I have the SE elk tag this year as well, drew 3rd choice and first time puting in for elk. Go figure. I can see the wood Bison release on to native land panning out the same way in 5-10 years when or if they become huntable.
    Quality Counts @ Dahlberg's Taxidermy

I am headed to Afognak this fall and have rented the cabin at Laura Lake. Any beta available for this area? Is a raft and motor advisable?