Thread: Jim King's Service- AK Series 520 AR Raft

Default Jim King's Service- AK Series 520 AR Raft

I just wanted to post here that Jim King with the Alaska Series Inflatable boats does great work and has some great customer service. We use the 520 AR as our primary research skiff all across Kodiak Island since it can fold up to fit into a float plane. At one of our work sites, a Kodiak bear decided to use our raft as a chew toy... We had it in storage, but a determined bear will get what he wants. The raft was folded at the time, so he ripped and chewed through multiple layers, and we were sure that it was shot and we'd be out the cost of the raft.

However, Jim King managed to get it patched up and only charged us the cost of shipping it to Anchorage. It was incredible customer service, and luckily we can keep doing our projects this summer!

The raft itself has been ideal for our work projects. The floor collapses into 5 parts, and the rest folds up pretty neatly if you vacuum the air out while folding. All the floor pieces can be moved by one person individually, but it takes two to move the folded pontoons/transom (which you'd expect from a 17" raft). It can easily fit 3 people and all sampling gear on board. We've used it a bit unconventionally for a raft as we conduct trawl net surveys with it, but it handles the task well enough. Any troubles that we've had were a result of not having the right sized outboard for the job rather than any fault of the raft.

All in all, it's a raft worth buying, and given the customer service Jim provided us, I doubt you could go wrong with any of the AK series inflatables.

I couldn't agree more about Jim and his service.

Tom Vitt

Quote Originally Posted by joebottoms View Post
    I just wanted to post here that Jim King with the Alaska Series Inflatable boats does great work and has some great customer service. We use the 520 AR as our primary research skiff all across Kodiak Island since it can fold up to fit into a float plane. At one of our work sites, a Kodiak bear decided to use our raft as a chew toy... We had it in storage, but a determined bear will get what he wants. The raft was folded at the time, so he ripped and chewed through multiple layers, and we were sure that it was shot and we'd be out the cost of the raft.

However, Jim King managed to get it patched up and only charged us the cost of shipping it to Anchorage. It was incredible customer service, and luckily we can keep doing our projects this summer!

The raft itself has been ideal for our work projects. The floor collapses into 5 parts, and the rest folds up pretty neatly if you vacuum the air out while folding. All the floor pieces can be moved by one person individually, but it takes two to move the folded pontoons/transom (which you'd expect from a 17" raft). It can easily fit 3 people and all sampling gear on board. We've used it a bit unconventionally for a raft as we conduct trawl net surveys with it, but it handles the task well enough. Any troubles that we've had were a result of not having the right sized outboard for the job rather than any fault of the raft.

All in all, it's a raft worth buying, and given the customer service Jim provided us, I doubt you could go wrong with any of the AK series inflatables.

I'll third Jim's customer service.

I'll give him two thumbs up too. I've owned three of his boats in the past 15 years. I sold them all used in great shape about 7 years ago and they are still going strong for those new owners. Never had a warranty concern to deal with either. He's always delivered on time and had nothing but easy service. No question he's on it.

larry

I too will comment on Jim's service. I had a problem with my jet ranger which he promptly and expertly repaired. It was great to get such great service.

I've owned his Jet Ranger for 12 years and it is still going strong, no holes, no patches with the super strong grizzly bottom. Jim's service is outstanding, he always goes the extra mile no questions asked. I can't say enough about the high quality and special Alaska features that he adds to an inflatable that aren't available from other manufacturers. Jim is a great guy, who doesn't mind sharing his experience with others.