Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mufflers on an IB Jet

Default Mufflers on an IB Jet

So Pacific Powertrain sells mufflers that install in-line on the exhaust hoses. My Wooldridge, and I'm sure most everyone else's jet boat doesn't have mufflers in place.
    Any good reason not to install them? Anything to keep things quiet, I'm for it.
    Anyone have them or installed them?
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

In the airboat world there is a lot of talk about mufflers and back presser killing performance. One way to tell is check the exhaust temperature before and after the muffler is installed.

If you point the exhaust pipe down it helps to quiet a motor.

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

I have inline mufflers on my boat. Don't know the brand though, they were on it when I bought it. I agree, anything to quite things down.

I think almost all inboard v8 motors have mufflers unless it is a lake race-ski boat.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    In the airboat world there is a lot of talk about mufflers and back presser killing performance. One way to tell is check the exhaust temperature before and after the muffler is installed.

If you point the exhaust pipe down it helps to quiet a motor.
    People used to say the same thing about sprint cars. Now you won't find one without mufflers. They actually find more hp with them. Same with snowmachines. Times and technology have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    People used to say the same thing about sprint cars. Now you won't find one without mufflers. They actually find more hp with them. Same with snowmachines. Times and technology have changed.
    I did not mean it to sound like he should not have a muffler. Only the one he gets should have low back presser. My airboat has always had a muffler on it, in case your wondering.

Never seen a inboard with mufflers come through the marina shop with the exception of the comp ski boats with fiberglass exhaust baffles / mufflers.

The river boats and lake / ocean boats have wet exhaust elbows that dump through the hull or outdrive. not much for muffling sound.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    I think almost all inboard v8 motors have mufflers unless it is a lake race-ski boat.

The kingfisher with a sport jet has mufflers I'm curious to hear it run.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I read the post as speaking of conventional inboards, and that was the meaning of my reply.

Now a Sportjet is a inboard, true but I have yet to hear a muffled SJ that still wasn't pretty snarky. I have a SJ and am not a fan of the sound, but sure like the performance.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    The kingfisher with a sport jet has mufflers I'm curious to hear it run.

Quote Originally Posted by Cresent Hills View Post
    Never seen a inboard with mufflers come through the marina shop with the exception of the comp ski boats with fiberglass exhaust baffles / mufflers.

The river boats and lake / ocean boats have wet exhaust elbows that dump through the hull or outdrive. not much for muffling sound.

Tom
    maybe you don't know what they look like, they are inline between the header and where the exhaust goes through the transom. here is a link ( they are not much bigger in diameter than the hose) http://pacificpowertraininc.com/collections/mufflers

No I know what they look like, and I have seen them in print. I was just saying that out of the 300+ boats a year that come through our shop I had not seen any used locally. I am sure they are out there, just don't seem overly common.

Nice Idea, not sure how it would effect the back pressure and performance of most boats. May need some other tweaks to make it work right.

Maybe someone with experience using these will chime in. Always something to learn on here for sure.

Tom

maybe you don't know what they look like, they are inline between the header and where the exhaust goes through the transom. here is a link ( they are not much bigger in diameter than the hose) http://pacificpowertraininc.com/collections/mufflers

No I know what they look like, and I have seen them in print. I was just saying that out of the 300+ boats a year that come through our shop I had not seen any used locally. I am sure they are out there, just don't seem overly common.

Nice Idea, not sure how it would effect the back pressure and performance of most boats. May need some other tweaks to make it work right.

Maybe someone with experience using these will chime in. Always something to learn on here for sure.

Tom
    Just looked at Wooldridge web site and all their inboards have mufflers as standard equipment.

I read the post as speaking of conventional inboards, and that was the meaning of my reply.

Now a Sportjet is a inboard, true but I have yet to hear a muffled SJ that still wasn't pretty snarky. I have a SJ and am not a fan of the sound, but sure like the performance.

Tom
    I saw the kingfisher at the boat show it was the first SJ I've seen with mufflers they look really exposed and prone to breakage.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Just looked at Wooldridge web site and all their inboards have mufflers as standard equipment.
    Was that on the SJs or the V8s? I had a quick look at their site, and in the images of the V8s, I didn't see any. I sent PPT an email, and I'll let you gents know what I get back.
    with respect to the SJ mufflers, I agree that those things look flimsy as all get out.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

I just had some new mufflers made by Phantom and installed by Ak Frontier Fab for my SportJet and these things are not flimsy at all. They are beefy as hell and although I havent heard them on my boat in the water, I did hear some on a SportJet last summer and they are 50%-60% quieter than the stock mufflers that wooldrige or phantom or any of the other boat manufatures put on their boats. This is my opinion... Also, our SportJet do not like any back pressure at full throttle so the exhaust dumps must be above the water line...
    "Fisherman for Life" and "Phantom owner Forever"

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoner View Post
    Was that on the SJs or the V8s? I had a quick look at their site, and in the images of the V8s, I didn't see any. I sent PPT an email, and I'll let you gents know what I get back.
    with respect to the SJ mufflers, I agree that those things look flimsy as all get out.
    That was the v8's. I consider the SJ's to be a outboard mounted inside the boat.

That was the v8's. I consider the SJ's to be a outboard mounted inside the boat.
    Lol which would technically be inboard the boat. Sorry had to
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by Bob the fisher View Post
    I just had some new mufflers made by Phantom and installed by Ak Frontier Fab for my SportJet and these things are not flimsy at all. They are beefy as hell and although I havent heard them on my boat in the water, I did hear some on a SportJet last summer and they are 50%-60% quieter than the stock mufflers that wooldrige or phantom or any of the other boat manufatures put on their boats. This is my opinion... Also, our SportJet do not like any back pressure at full throttle so the exhaust dumps must be above the water line...
    The mufflers I saw weren't flimsy looking themselves but where they were hanging outside like a couple trim tabs they look very
    vulnerable.
    Unknown author

My mufflers are mounted under the swim deck and pretty well constructed and almost complete surrounded by tubing that supports the swim deck. I think you would have to tear the rear of the boat off before you damaged them.
    They mounted them under the swim deck to reduce heat in the dog house and reduce noise. Could not tell you if they are quieter than others becuase i wear headphones that have two way radios built in all the time-- but yes the boat is loud, cant imagine this thing without mufflers.
    Mike

To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee "thats not an engine, THIS is an engine..." Although thats not really fair, horse for courses etc.
    I did e-mail PPT, and as always, they were super prompt getting back to me. Doesn't sound like any issues at all with respect to back pressure etc. Just a matter of trying to fit them in. My close coupled set up could be a bit tight.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast