Thread: shooting dirty

Default shooting dirty

Ran across this article on long range shooting. I am not interested in long range hunting shots but the shoot dirty comment caught my eye. Ideas on why this is preferred?

http://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/...elite-shooters
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

A clean bore will shoot to a different location.

AGL nailed it. You don't want to clean the bore before a hunt for this reason. You want the bullet to impact where it was hitting at the range. Oil in the bore will influence the flight of the projectile.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I never go on a hunt with a cleaned barrel. I usually check for zero prior to going into the field, and leave fouling in the barrel
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Clean my barrel with oil maybe once a year....maybe...otherwise I just bore snake it off and on.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

A rifle bore that is fouled will typically produce increased consistency with the first cold bore shot. Sometimes I've found the difference is insignificant and sometimes it is very significant; each rifle is law unto themselves. Certainty concerning where the first shot will land from a cold bore will greatly increase any shooters confidence and anything you can do to improve that certainty will only help performance.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    A rifle bore that is fouled will typically produce increased consistency with the first cold bore shot. Sometimes I've found the difference is insignificant and sometimes it is very significant; each rifle is law unto themselves. Certainty concerning where the first shot will land from a cold bore will greatly increase any shooters confidence and anything you can do to improve that certainty will only help performance.

Absolutely. "Every Rifle Is Different". I have an older Model 700 that puts the first shot in the same spot as the 10th shot whether it is from a cold clean bore or the first shot 8 months after I shot it last and did not clean it.

A clean bore is only clean until that first round gets fired. Every round after comes from a fouled bore. It sure would take a toll on you and the gun if you cleaned every single shot so you could pattern that clean bore load. I always shoot a mag full before hunting then tape the barrel and it's ready to go. I never clean before hunting.