Thread: Elephants Foot and Spring Bear hunting.

Default Elephants Foot and Spring Bear hunting.

The very HUGEST mistake that beginner Alaska bear hunters make is.......the "Quick" glass and move, "Quick" glass and move again. Here is a method we used for spring bear hunting. We invented the 1/2 bag and super parka system. We learned a few years later that there had long been a sleeping bag system used by mountain climbers that was the same thing. They call it the Elephants Foot Bag. We really thought we had invented it. We decided that we (My hunting partner Bill W.) could take credit for inventing it for hunting. Most likely that is probably not true, but old men can believe whatever makes them happy, because no-one takes old men serious anyway......

In the late 60's and early 70's things were a lot slower in Alaska than now. So we would leave Anchorage (this was before it became Los'Anchorage) after work on Friday night, and hike 87 miles all up hill into our top secret bear hunting valley near Hope, Alaska. Arriving at our lookout spot in the dark, say 11:30 PM Friday night. Early years we took tent, Primus White gas stove, etc.. ... At some point we realized that if we were coming back week after week, way not leave the stove & tent back in there 87 miles all up hill.

So after a few years we had tent, shovel, fuel, pots, plates & cups back in the very back of the Top Secret valley, full of dozens of bears. After a few years we realized that the smart thing to do was only hike 85.5 miles all up hill in the dark and spend the night in our newly invented 1/2 bag & super parka.

You will find this very hard to believe, but it is true........Long, Long, Very LONG ago Eddie Bauer was "NOT" a yuppie crap clothing shop. They long, Long, LONG ago made quality expedition outdoor gear. So Bill W. and I each had a Eddie Bauer "Expedition" Parka. I still have mine, and after 45 years of use is still in good condition.

OK, so the reader (That be YOU) is now wanting me to stop the geriatric dribble and close on the the Bear hunting method. OK, we after hiking 85.5 miles all up hill would stop at a look-out spot, put down a drop cloth, leave our clothing on and pull-on the 1/2 bag that we invented. That in conjunction with the Eddie Bauer "Expedition" Parka was enough warmth that we could sleep till 3:00 AM and start glassing.

The point of this poorly written essay is you can spot and watch a lot of bears all day Saturday and most of Sunday from just "ONE" location. No need to glass and move, glass and move, glass and move.

Yep, coming out it was 87.5 miles all UP-HILL back to Bill W. truck. Back in those days we did not have anything that was "NOT" up-hill. When I was in first grade I walked 6 miles up hill through 8 feet of snow to the school bus stop. And coming home from school it was all up hill to the dairy farm we share-cropped.

Love the story, some good advice in there somewhere too I suspect!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't just set till I see game,I wait for it to come close enough to shoot.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

You will find this very hard to believe, but it is true........Long, Long, Very LONG ago Eddie Bauer was "NOT" a yuppie crap clothing shop. They long, Long, LONG ago made quality expedition outdoor gear. So Bill W. and I each had a Eddie Bauer "Expedition" Parka. I still have mine, and after 45 years of use is still in good condition.
    Good advise!
    I had to mention this. My father-in-law used to guide & have a bush flying service here (Kenai Air Service) in the late 50s through sometime in the 60s. His Eddie Bauer Expedition Parka with wolf ruff is still fully functional (although it can stand on it's own) & hanging in the basement. I believe I have a picture somewhere of him wearing it when he shot his polar bear (or it may have been him guiding a hunter on one). Good memories of his stories. Thanks.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Is this Part Two of the seven part black bear spotting series? There is much to be learned here. ( I refrained from using any caps or periods)