Thread: Bubble windows in 170? Need shoulder room

Default Bubble windows in 170? Need shoulder room

I have a 170 and looking to know if a 6" bubble window will allow me to use the space like arm rest. I taxi and fly with my window open and elbow out the window and it's so much more comfortable for me. I'm not the smallest person. 6'2". Anyone have experience with bubble windows???
    thanks
    GS

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

I put them in my 180 four years ago...A perfect place to rest your arm, for those of us with broad shoulders...The installation instructions does not require dual latches but I HIGHLY recommend it, it will prevent an inadvertent opening...I would also suggest getting the clear bubbles rather than smoked or another color due to winter flat light...I love them and have recommended them to several folks that have also installed them..my 2 cents...

Nice. Just what I wanted to hear. Did u go 6"?

I've had 6" bubbles since I bought my 180 in the mid '90s. I wouldn't find them a comfy spot for my arms but I do like the added shoulder width. I've never wanted flat windows there.

You guys got me thinking now... if I was to look into bubble windows, whats the best place to shop for them?

Look up Great Lakes Aero. I don't know if Reeve stocks any bubbles. Mine are the only cabin glass that I didn't replace and I got all else from inventory at Reeve. To add a second latch look at Niagara Air Parts or Skywagon City. They both sell the same latch at the same price. I don't know what the status of Skywagon City is now following Peter's recent passing.

Well that would explain why Peter has not been answering any personal e-mails.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Mack's still running with it. Sounds pretty dang busy tho. I just ordered more diamond plated Wagon parts.
    Callem

Thanks, Im going to look into these.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

what the rest of the guys said...mine were 6 inch bubbles, clear, Great Lakes Aero, pretty good web site and service...latches from niagra air parts, (they are located in New York I believe), not always in stock...little pricey but what isn't on an airplane!!!

Mine are the 6" purchased directly from Great Lakes Aero. The shipping was inexpensive and they arrived quickly. I love them. Allows me to look out the window with my helmet on at my wheel skis to see if they are fully retracted or not. I didn't install the secondary latches as my windows close really nicely now and didn't notice any adverse wind noise after install. I would do it again in a second. I'm already upside down and spun around with my 170...what was a few more airplane dollars I second going with the clear.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wag are you on east ramp a FBKS?

It didn't feel to me like it added any room to me, but it is nice when looking down.
    Tim

Glacier,
    No, I hang around PASX like a mall rat. My wife wonders what the hell I do at the airport all day. Ah.....make airplane noises?
    WAG MORE
    bark less

Plane looked like one close to mine. I was gonna hit u up to let me sit in it to get idea of the change.

Thanks tho

GS

Find a 180 or 185 with the 6" windows. They are the EXACT same window for all 170/180/185's.
    Model #2901 LEFT
    Model #2902 RIGHT
    WAG MORE
    bark less