Thread: Fairbanks 3-D Shoots

Default Fairbanks 3-D Shoots

Prior to leaving for Iraq in 2005 I went to a 3-D shoot in Fairbanks. The shoot was located somewhere off of Chena Hot Springs Road but I can't remember where. Anybody know where it may be? Can you give directions?

Are there any shoots coming up? Is there an active club in Fairbanks?

Ryan

Default Shoots

On Eielson AFB we have an archery club and we do shoots from time to time. I know we have an outdoor 3-D shoot on the 30th (last Sat of the month).

back in the day I was a member of the black sheep club on Elmendorf - is the Eielson club open to civilians without base access?

Default 3-D Shoots

Loolks like I will be heading to Eielson to shoot 3-D. No response for Fairbanks, which I assume means nobody knows?

I think the club that sponsored the shoot was Golden North?

Default Esro

The Golden North range is on Esro road. Go up till you hit the Y by the farm and take the left up hill, can't miss it.

Default Thanks

Thanks Bowshop.

Wombat, is that at the end of this month?Where is the range located? I just move to the area and will like to do a little of 3d shooting.

thanks

They shoot every thursday on esro road. You can join and keep score or pay to walk through and shoot for fun. I am not sure how much it is to shoot though.

My dad and I used to do this shoot quite often, and it was loads of fun. Haven't done it in a few years, but I would recomend it to any archery shooters in fairbanks.

-Eric

Default Update

For anybody interested I did get in touch with someone who knows a lot about it. The following is the email I received with all the info.

Our outdoor range is located on Esro Road. Just in case you can not open
    the map. You go out Chena Hot Spring Road to Esro Road (left side of
    highway, coming from town). Continue on Esro Road to Clair's Cultivation's
    (right side of the road), turn right and up the drive until you see the GNAA
    Range (right side of the drive.)

We place 3D animals at 6:00 PM on Thursdays and shoot at 6:30 PM. We shoot
    until 8:30 PM when the animals are then put away. We have an upper and lower
    range at Esro Road in addition to the 3D range. Both ranges have 17 target
    butts that can be shot any time except during the 3D shoots.

Our members shoot either traditional or compound bows and some both. Cost is
    $20.00 per year or $30.00 for family. In addition each shoot is $5.00.
    This is to replace targets, maintain insurance, and pay for rent of the
    range at Ryan Junior High School. You can shoot for free on your first
    visit.

Mid-April through July we shoot at Esro Road and October til Mid-April we
    shoot twice a week at Ryan Junior High School, starting at 6:30 PM.

Hopefully this helps some of you Fairbanks Bowhunters. I know I will start going! See ya there.......

Default GNAA Range off Chena Hot Springs Rd.

Golden North Archery Assoc. has a GREAT range on private land off Esro rd. The directions posted previously are right on. It is a dirt rd, so drive slow for the neighbors.
    The range is for use only by members or their guests. If you show up on a Thursday 3-D night, you will be welcomed regardless of your affiliation. Everybody works to put out and pick up targets.
    The range has, or had, permanent backstops for a full NFAA sanctioned range. It is wooded, and slightly rolling hills. The place is awesome, but remember, we are all guests of the landowner. Membership is cheap to be able to shoot at such an awesome place.
    I am hoping they still have their annual BOWHUNERS JAMBOREE in July. Bring all your hunting gear except for broadheads. I used to run the range and event and we made it as fair and fun as we possibly could. Plan on shooting from canoes, tree stands, standing on one leg, laying down, and whatever else fun things can be thought of. We even used to set it up that if you never took a shot we would still give 5 points per target. One year we even had everybody use an adle adle.
    If people want to know more, I will get contact info to pass on.

and the history involved in that range on esro has some awfully big names in the old timers bowhunting community!

For starters, if ya like reading bowhunting, pick up bows on the little delta by Glenn St Charles (founder of the P&Y).