Thread: Big Man Boots

Default Big Man Boots

So I have been researching this for a while but to no avail. I am looking for a pair of boots and crampons i can use for goat and blacktail. Only problem is size 14 is about the biggest i can find. I am looking for a size 15 and a set of crampons that will fit on them. I am not looking to spend too much money, I would like to keep it under $350 but if i have to spend more I will. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A friend has size 15 feet and had the same problem. He ended up calling Schnee's in Montana. They had him trace his bare feet on paper (a big piece) and send it in. They built him a pair of custom boots for around $400 I believe but he has worn them on hunts all over the world for years with no complaints.

Just a thought....

Danner makes all their boots in a size 15. It sounds like you might be looking for something a little bit more technical than what Danner is known for, but Danner makes some good leather boots that I think would likely serve your needs.

I would call Mountain View Sports and see if they think they will have a pair of size 15 Danner Crater Rim's in stock next time you come through Anchorage to try on.

I wore micro spikes from REI over my boots while glacier hiking on my goat hunt last fall. About $80 per pair. Don't by the cheap knock offs on the internet. They won't last.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    So I have been researching this for a while but to no avail. I am looking for a pair of boots and crampons i can use for goat and blacktail. Only problem is size 14 is about the biggest i can find. I am looking for a size 15 and a set of crampons that will fit on them. I am not looking to spend too much money, I would like to keep it under $350 but if i have to spend more I will. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    You might try online at Sierra Trading Post. They've been known to have some good deals on boots, and much of the time only have certain, or odd sizes. I also saw that they had some nice crampons the other day I was looking around, but didn't catch what size they were....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Look into Han Wag boots. High quality built in Germany. Barney's sells them or the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    Look into Han Wag boots. High quality built in Germany. Barney's sells them or the Internet.
    Although the Han Wags I bought were probably the most comfortable boot I've ever worn, they didn't hold up as well as I had hoped.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I have the same problem when it comes to boots. I also have wide feet. I found the most comfortable one at Cabelas. They do run a bit small, so I went one size up (16). So far very comfortable and dry. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Footw..._SEQ_104841180

Lowa Civetta Plastics go up to like size 16.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Jens, if you can PM me, I might have a solution for you.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Second for Schnee's..... I have a set of Schnee's Beartooth Insulated Boots. They make a true wide boot which fit my feet perfectly. The waterproofing on them works, and the quality of the boot itself is outstanding. Made in Italy. Cost is comparable to other manufacturers (Lowa, Kennetrek).

Plastics are the ticket for big feet, but you probably don't want them for blacktail. For that type of 'mountaineering' I was able to squeeze into a Lowa size 14. I have the extendo shanks for my crampons, so they fit all my boots, even my size 15 snowboard boots.
    Since we don't get to just stop by the store and try 'em on, I paid a little more and ordered from Zappos, for the free return shipping in case they didn't fit.

I've got the sasquatch curse, too -- size 15. For mountain hunts, I've worn Kennetrek Mountain Extremes, Lowa Civettas, Lowa GTX, and most recently, Bates Tora Boras. The Lowa GTX were soaked after crossing a shallow creek ONCE on a sheep hunt, and the water did not go over the tops -- they were comfortable though. Sent back to Shoebuy no questions asked. Wore the Civettas on a goat hunt, very comfortable with all the insulation, they are stiff which is great for sidehilling (the best of all that I mentioned), they are a heavy, but very stable with a full pack of goat and camp. One draw back to them is the tongue gusset is very low, so they are not waterproof to the top of the boot. The Kennetreks are good for hiking, the first pair I had failed miserably on my second hunt in them. They got soaked on a Spring Bear Hunt after crossing several creeks and hiking in the snow for a few miles. I was sitting on a warm, sunny hillside ALL day glassing. I took the boots off and had them sitting beside me in the sun. They dried and the rubber rand became so distorted and bent, I could barely get my feet back in the boots. Fortunately, I had another pair of boots at camp, so the hunt wasn't ruined. Kennetrek replaced them no questions asked. No problems with the second pair, other than the stitching that goes up the inside back of the boots (heel up achilles tendon) rubs when climbing. I wore the Bates Tora Boras on Kodiak this year hunting goat. They are crampon compatible, insulated with 400 gram insulation, and the second stiffest of the boots mentioned. They don't feel as heavy as the plastic Lowas, but I would have to weigh them to verify. They are a good compromise, of all the boots, not as good for long hikes as the Kennetreks or Lowa GTX's, or as good for sidehilling as the Civettas. They are a military issue Special Ops Mountaineering boot. I found mine on ebay for $199, some go for as much as $500. Being a big size, I guess they are priced lower to get rid of them. Another consideration is Meindl Perfekts, not the ones sold by Cabelas! These are true leather mountaineering boots and are very stiff from what I have read and have been in production for a long time. They are pricey, but worth looking into. Limmers makes special order boots in 15, but they are not lace-to-toe. I picked up a pair from a NOLS sale for my brother in law for $75. They are really nice boots, but I like the ability to the customize fit that the lace-to-toe design offers. I hope this helps.
    -Jeremy

I don't need boots but this deserves a rep point.

Hello. I replied to a post of yours back in August regarding size 15 boots. I was curious if you ever found any boots to suit your needs. I am going to be placing a pair of Kennetrek Mountain Extreme uninsulated size 15 on ebay, but figured I would see if you were interested first. These boots have been worn sparingly on a 10-day brown bear hunt on the Peninsula in 2013 (I spent most of my time in waders). They are scuffed in places, but nothing major or that would remotely affect the longevity or function of the boots. I was planning on posting them with a buy it now price of $300 plus shipping- they are $515 brand new. I am getting rid of them because I like my other boots better.

If you are interested let me know.

Thanks,

Jeremy

jeremyholzberger@gmail.com
    706-207-8985