Thread: Yukon Freightworks Canoe Co

Default Yukon Freightworks Canoe Co

Anyone running one of these yet? I finally got an email back from Mainer, but he must be pretty swamped. I'd like to know the specs on the various models, and what the field tests by buyers are. They sound great, but I don't know if I can buy one; in production yet? thanks. j

don't give up he is a little slow [ a lot ] on getting back to you from his web site but he will get back to you SID

thanks, sid. i will wait with bated breath; too bad it's bear baited breath! cheers. j

fyi, i just got off the phone w/ michael (mainer). he is quite busy. he does not yet have a stockpile of canoes, but makes them when some money hits the table. he said to let folks know that he may be getting a big gov't order real soon, and, if so, he will put his time into getting that order done before he does individuals. however, individuals who have dropped cash will be finished before the gov't order is started. so, if you want a canoe soon, you may want to dig some of that money out of your mattress and fork it over. if you need to contact him, it is 907-903-2101. way faster to call than email. a few more specs on the canoes are going up on the web site soon, but i have this much as of today: 17 footer weighs about 160 lbs, has 3 strips of UHMW on the bottom, and costs $6700. 18 footer weighs about 185 lbs, has 5 strips on the belly, and costs $8600. 22 footer weighs about 257 lbs, has 5 strips, and costs $9700. these are my words, and not a direct quote from michael, but i think i remember everything he said. if i'm off, sue me. also, he is the copperhead outboard dealer for alaska. cheers. j

I had a look at his website. I'm sure its a work in process, but it needs some more detailed images of the boats; gunnels, seats etc. They look super Skookum though. I imagine they are worth every penny, Mainer seems to be a real details guy. Good on him I say.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

In hours upon hours of research I cannot find any real drawbacks to using a freighter such as this equipped with a mud motor for moose hunting on rivers like the interior has to offer. I am curious if anyone can come up with any legitimate drawbacks or items one unfamiliar with freighters should consider? Thanks

all freighter's are great the one problem I have had with them in going to fast an running on to rocks an doing damage to the bottom. an it can be a real pain in the butt back in the woods a few miles , don't go to fast or it will bite you in the butt big time , that is why I put runners on the bottom of my 19 FT. grumman SQ end, I felt better an never bent the T keel on it , going slow the canoes will go over the rocks an not get bent , the UHMW strips
    will help the bottom a lot , going fast in big water no problem, the small shallow streams , is the problem , once you learn how to read the water in front of the canoe Good luck SID

Speed may well be the most important factor on the hunting trip. Not in getting to a hunting site a couple of hundred miles down river but in terms of getting meat back to the landing, especially if the weather gets warm as often seems to be the case in recent years.