Thread: alaska hunting learning curve

Default alaska hunting learning curve

is huge! so i have flown in to a drop camp for caribou and been successful . hunted harvest ticket moose on the kp without success.i had no luck in the drawings this year or any other so mostly have just given up on trying to figure out where i can use a 4x4, boat,my feet w/o the death march of the haul road, hunt on the refuge and be where i am not across some imaginary line and in some draw area ect ect ect. so i usually headed back to where i grew up in the lower 48 and filled the freezer with white tail, pheasant,quail .my friends from down there cant believe that i live in alaska but still come down there to hunt. times are a little tighter for me now than in years past. so flyins and trips to the lower 48 seem to be out for now. so heres a list of the hunting tools i have to use and ideas i have for putting them to use up here. jeep ,4x4 quad, 20 ft river boat 50 hp prop, 20 ft v bottom lowe with twin 50 hp props and canvas, 16 ft achillies with 50 hp prop, sportsmans warehouse 12 ft 2 man cataraft, snow machines ,300 win mag, compound bow , pretty good camping equipment. so i thought about taking the camping gear and the bow up the haul road but from what i read on here it can be pretty spotty.next is take the jeep, quad and camping gear and 300 win mag up around chicken for caribou but have never been up there and when i look at maps adfg put out i m not real sure where i can and cant be legally .same goes for my idea of hunting moose around delta junct. i can hunt and camp for as long as is needed. but im kinda stumped and thought id post this to see if any of you guys had any helpful ideas of how to get over this hump so to speak. even if someone near soldotna with alaska hunting knowledge would just like to have some coffee and talk hunting.or partner up. im 52 have decent outdoor skills, not an athlete by any means but can get around pretty well. thanks

I was lucky enough to have 2 brothers here when I came north. I'm the only one now for many years. But really just used much of my experience from where I had lived in the past, and hooked up with people of similar interests.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

yeah im very comfortable with the actual hunting part of the equation.its more of the public, private ,draw,subunit,no motorized,5 mile limit,ect. that has me stumped .i knew my boundary's where i grew up but not so much with the regs up here. took me about 4 or 5 years before i was really comfortable with the fishing regs .and most of the guys i know up here are fisherman and dont hunt and the ones that do already have partners and their secret spots if you know what i mean

I learn new scat everyday about hunting and such...... it has my full attention

Im always thinking of better ways or older days when I catch something, disassemble it and eat its flesh, tan its hide and look for more.....going home to happy kids and everyone smiling....oh ya, Hunting is awesome.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I'd sell a few toys and do some fly ins if I was you. If those rigs ain't putting you on game then I'd get rid of them and go hunt remote.

Having lots of gear is good, but people still harvest game with minimal gear, and have for centuries. There seems to be no substitute for time spent on site.
    I understand your frustrations with borders and regulations. As this state becomes more crowded, unfortunately, it will only get worse. Still, if you set aside time and study a specific area you have a better chance of connecting. For most folks on the road system, the days of going a short distance from home to harvest a moose are gone. People just keep coming, and the earth itself is always changing in regard to habitat. But you can still connect if you (and your family members) keep after the coveted draws and you put in your time.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperJ View Post
    I'd sell a few toys and do some fly ins if I was you. If those rigs ain't putting you on game then I'd get rid of them and go hunt remote.
    yeah i hear ya. its just that the rigs serve me well for fishing and recreation. so dont really want to get rid of the rigs i worked to acquire. i just want to expand their use. if i sell and fly in its one and done. if i learn how and where i can use each they could serve me well for years.

Use your boat to hunt the Yukon River. Put in at the Dalton Highway bridge.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 04-12-2015 at 22:42. Reason: needed clarification
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

More yummy (so I hear they are) high alpine berry fed black bears just 20miles from Soldotna than you can shake a stick at. I hunt there every fall for at least a week, this past fall I only spent 2 days in the hills and spotted 11 the first evening. Easy to get gun range, if I wasn't so hard headed I'd but the recurve down and drill 2 every year. Only gear you need is a good pack, knife, gun and 2 legs.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Having lots of gear is good, but people still harvest game with minimal gear, and have for centuries. There seems to be no substitute for time spent on site.
    I understand your frustrations with borders and regulations. As this state becomes more crowded, unfortunately, it will only get worse. Still, if you set aside time and study a specific area you have a better chance of connecting. For most folks on the road system, the days of going a short distance from home to harvest a moose are gone. People just keep coming, and the earth itself is always changing in regard to habitat. But you can still connect if you (and your family members) keep after the coveted draws and you put in your time.
    i understand the kp is getting crowded and the near by hunts are lower odds of connecting. im fine with that.i dont mind heading out and stayng on site for days or weeks if needed.i have studied these threads and fish adf&g site for months if not years. im not a lawer but it seems that might help me understand what rig you can use where.when researching harvest ticket moose hunting south of tusty a couple yrs ago i went to adf&g to get a better idea where i could hunt and they had to draw lake tustumena on the map they printed for me (really!). i wish i could have attended the fourm meeting down here to try and get to know some guys with more ak experience. most of the guys i have made friends with are fishermen and/or if they hunt all ready have a group they hunt with and the opportunity to go help and learn has not seemed to be there.when it has its been much younger much more aggressive guys and i dont want to hinder them with my age/ability. im sure if i just keep at it i may have things figured out in time to take my grandson hunting (he is one year old now lol) thanks for the comments guys

Buy a cabin in the Caribou Hills.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by mud dawg View Post
    i understand the kp is getting crowded and the near by hunts are lower odds of connecting. im fine with that.i dont mind heading out and stayng on site for days or weeks if needed.i have studied these threads and fish adf&g site for months if not years. im not a lawer but it seems that might help me understand what rig you can use where.when researching harvest ticket moose hunting south of tusty a couple yrs ago i went to adf&g to get a better idea where i could hunt and they had to draw lake tustumena on the map they printed for me (really!). i wish i could have attended the fourm meeting down here to try and get to know some guys with more ak experience. most of the guys i have made friends with are fishermen and/or if they hunt all ready have a group they hunt with and the opportunity to go help and learn has not seemed to be there.when it has its been much younger much more aggressive guys and i dont want to hinder them with my age/ability. im sure if i just keep at it i may have things figured out in time to take my grandson hunting (he is one year old now lol) thanks for the comments guys
    It's not that moose are hard to find on the KP; it's that LEGAL moose, that you are absolutely, 100% sure of proper configuration, are hard to find on the pen. That is what makes it a conundrum if you don't have a lot of time or you don't have a cabin like Ross does.

Quote Originally Posted by trapperJ View Post
    As much as I hate to admit it Mud Dawg, TrapperJ has a really good point. If all the 4-wheelers and toys serve you no purpose for hunting, you might want to think about investing your money elsewhere. I don't even own half the equipment you do, but every year I'm able to save up a little bit of money (usually from my dividend) to go on a nice fly-out somewhere and I very rarely don't get a chance to fill my freezer.

I was lucky when I first started hunting up here. When I first moved up here I worked as a packer for a guide and then worked my was into an assistant and eventually a registered guide. That initial experience really taught me a lot about hunting in Alaska. Where I came from in Michigan, all of my hunting was from the road system for whitetailed deer and turkeys. It was easy for a guy to go out on a Friday night or Saturday morning out to a treestand and fill his tag. But up here it is a very different story. People don't come up here for the easy hunting in my opinion. If they do they will be sadly disappointed. The uniqueness of Alaska is it's remote and pristine character off the road system. If you are not taking advantage of those remote areas you really don't know what you are missing. There are some really great areas, but you do have to make some sacrifices to get there. The one good aspect of it, is even though it may require some expense on your part to access, once you are successful and fill your freezer with 500 + lbs. of moose, caribou, or deer meat it is worth the cost.

very true. i have the cabin, not in the hills but not in or too near town either. there are moose running around all over near by if not in the yard. however after about 15 yrs on the kp i may have seen one bull that i was sure was legal.that was the day after season. i think at this point this fall im just going to load up the p/u camper, trailer,quad and achillies n head north and explore new areas for about a month.

bushwhack like i said the rigs get used for a lot of things just havent been put to much use hunting yet.i seem to either have the cash and no time off or time off and no cash. this fall may be my year with some time and a bit of cash ,better make the most of it !

Critters are easy,many can be seen right it town. The land and weather is the hard part to learn and what kills most that die in the outdoors.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

learning the boundaries and go/no go zones for motorized are not that hard in most areas.
    You just need to pick an area(GMU) and study it.
    Most boundaries are a road,river or other substantial landmark that is generally easy to find. Study that area on evenings and the occasional weekend afternoon. Then ask a few questions on the forum to fill in the gaps.
    I have a chip in my GPS that tells me what GMU I am in and who owns the land I am standing on.
    Very helpful for what you are wanting to know.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"