Thread: Seized OBJ exhaust tube

Default Seized OBJ exhaust tube

Howdy folks. Somewhat new to posting around here so I'm not sure if this is a topic for the modification/refurb forums or the powerboating forums. Figured I'd try here first.

Background:
    I'm refurbishing an outboard jet lower unit (OBJ model AF). Presently I have the thing entirely stripped down except I can't separate the exhaust tube from the jet volute. Highlighted part 13 in the schematic below. I removed the exhaust clip but the tube itself seems to be seized. Not sure if it's corrosion, sediment, carbon build up or just, well, friction. I about gave myself a hernia tugging on the thing with a pair of channel locks.

Several generous applications of PB Blaster did not yield any results. So I soaked the whole volute in a tub of solvent for a couple days. It cleaned up real nice, but the tube still won't come out with any amount of force I can easily apply.

Questions: Has anyone encountered any difficulty replacing the exhaust tube on an OBJ and have a solution? Should it just slide out in an ideal world? How about any recommendations on a product that will penetrate/dissolve whatever buildup is giving it such a death grip?

Much appreciated.

Try a little heat and/or call Gary at Greatland Welding in palmer, he might give you some ideas on how to get it out.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Thanks Steve. When in doubt, add fire. I'll give it a try.