Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: new 30-06

Default new 30-06

So I have been looking for a new rifle setup, and I was wondering about opinions on a few.

first is the Ruger all weather
    http://www.ruger.com/products/americ...er/models.html

the Remington 783
    http://www.remington.com/products/fi...model-783.aspx

savage axis stainless xp
    http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...xisstainlessxp

and last the Browning AB3 composite stalker
    http://www.browning.com/products/cat...id=035&tid=800

im trying to not break the bank on this one.

My son bought the stainless remington 770 one in 30-06. It shoot well. I will work on sub moa with hand loads this spring. I think the 770 is just like the 783.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I just picked up the ss American it's the lightest on your list has the accu trigger weaver mounts holds 4 in the mag. Recoil wasn't bad picked mine up at cabelas for 450

At that price point the Weatherby Vanguard should be on your short list. The new Vanguard is much improved over the old ones- and the old ones didn't suck.

thanks everyone for the input so far. what are the actual differences between the Remington 770 and 783?

Trigger is all i can see. Remington took the best from the other companies it bought.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

http://www.impactguns.com/cia-m70-30...-ri1977-n.aspx

Look at this as well. They run about the same as the Remington price wise and have great reviews.

Edwin Hubble

Some not so nice reviews of the 783 due to plastic parts if you do a Google search. The Vanguard, Howa 1500, and Rem 700 ADL should at least be considered IMHO. The ADL is just slightly more than the cheap Remingtons, and although I am not a Rem fan- the 700's are popular for a reason! The Howa and Vanguard are the same rifle with different stocks. The actions are great and barrels are accurate. Can get nice set ups with Hogue stock and with/without scopes for dang inexpensive. From what I have read- the Ruger American is a lot of rifle for the money and I plan on getting the rimfire for an ATV rifle. Let us know what you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBEE View Post
    Some not so nice reviews of the 783 due to plastic parts if you do a Google search. The Vanguard, Howa 1500, and Rem 700 ADL should at least be considered IMHO. The ADL is just slightly more than the cheap Remingtons, and although I am not a Rem fan- the 700's are popular for a reason! The Howa and Vanguard are the same rifle with different stocks. The actions are great and barrels are accurate. Can get nice set ups with Hogue stock and with/without scopes for dang inexpensive. From what I have read- the Ruger American is a lot of rifle for the money and I plan on getting the rimfire for an ATV rifle. Let us know what you decide.
    You do have a good point. The trigger guard is plastic and the other issue some folks hate, but I haven't found a problem with, the barrel is press fit in and not screwed.

You really need to stay away from Remington since they were bought out by Cerberus Capitol Management company. Same goes for Marlin since Remington bought them.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

Ditto the Wby Vanguard. Great value and performance.

well, i didn't know the 783 had so much plastic, thats off the list instantly then. this rifle is going to be used on the wheeler the most durability and synthetic stock is a MUST

I can't offer any help on the rifles you specified but FWIW I've bought a 700 SPS, Vanguard and Browning Xbolt all in 30-06. The Vanguard is a lot of gun for the money and I have another one in 338 WM. The only rifle I would call a turnkey rifle, meaning it's properly bedded and ready to hunt with straight out of the box is the Xbolt.

The Vanguard got a new B&C stock and got glass bedded and the 700 got a new McMillan Remington Classic stock and is being bedded as we speak. I know you want to spend as little as possible and I would advise you to look at as many different rifles as you can to find out which features you like best. Then, if necessary, save your money til you can afford to buy the one you like best. A good quality rifle will easily last your lifetime and you'll get many hours of enjoyment out of it. Picking one you like best can be difficult.

The Vanguard is a great rifle for the money. I have one in .270 which has the typical Weatherby butt stock and a thick barrel, and the rifle is heavy! But boy, it is deadly accurate and I love it. I must say I love that little Ruger American .308 even more. It is light, balances well and accurate as I allow it to be. Plus, I seldom worry about it getting scratched up. It goes with me winter and summer, "just in case".

yeah the ruger american keeps sounding like a great rifle. i think it would do good on my wheeler hunts. whats the most common problem with them?

Sometimes the fore stock contacts the barrel. It is IMO too flexible, but this is easily remedied with a Dremel tool and small drum sanding bit.
    People fear the plastic mag, but I have had zero probs with it and as I said, it goes everywhere with me- on shoulder, in canoe, on 4-wheeler, in ice fishing sled, etc., and has never fallen out or malfunctioned. Aside from being sturdy and accurate, the muzzle is recessed, and the trigger is an acu-trigger type. The bolt is a bit stiff for my liking and I have attempted to polish it up.
    My two sons used to make fun of my "cheap gun". Now they both have them; one in 7mm-08 and one in .300 BLK and they grudgingly admit that they like them.
    Oh yeah, I forgot to say that the bluing on the rifles is (was? Mine is 3 years old) not quality and rusted easily. I painted mine camo and never worry about it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjusten View Post
    well, i didn't know the 783 had so much plastic, thats off the list instantly then. this rifle is going to be used on the wheeler the most durability and synthetic stock is a MUST
    The 783 doesn't have any more plastic than any of the other entry price rifles. I have owned and critiqued the following. Ruger American, Mossberg ATR, Stevens 200, Savage Axis, Marlin XTs and Remington 783. I currently have 2 of the 783's and love them, You will do well with the Ruger American as well. The 783 has an edge over the American as far as the magazines are concerned. The 783 magazine do have some plastic as do the trigger guard and stock. The bolt and barreled action are all steel. The important parts of the magazine are steel. I am a Remington hater from way back and I like the 783. If you go to Remington's web sight and read the story on the 783 you'll find that it is a ground up design using some well thought out design. I like the looks of the Ruger American better than the 783 but that's a personal thing.

One thing I can't tolerate is a bolt gun that won't feed smoothly. The Mossberg and Marlin Xt's that I had were terrible in that aspect. The Savage Axis fed ok and shot good but is UGLY and the stock is the flimsiest on the market. I still have the Steven's 200. It feeds every time if I run the bolt with authority. The Steven's is a 223 and will shoot as accurately as any target rifle that I have ever owned, with almost all ammo. it was my truck gun until I got the 783/ 223 a few weeks ago. The Steven's 223 will most likely go to a young man who has been doing very well in the USBR shoots with his rimfire. He needs a centerfire so he can shoot with the big boys. It would be funny as heck if he cleaned up on some of the high dollar dudes with their fancy shootin sticks with that little Stevens 200...it's apt to happen!

1st choice. Howa 1500. James Wayne had them for $348 yesterday. 2nd Remington 783. 3rd Ruger American. Tomorrow I might say Ruger American 2nd and 783 3rd, they are that close.

"You really need to stay away from Remington since they were bought out by Cerberus Capitol Management company. Same goes for Marlin since Remington bought them".

agreed.....more concerned about shareholders than quality it seems sometimes.

The Tikka T-3 is worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by delong1301 View Post
    "You really need to stay away from Remington since they were bought out by Cerberus Capitol Management company. Same goes for Marlin since Remington bought them".

agreed.....more concerned about shareholders than quality it seems sometimes.
    Except when the gun was $200! Only having 40 rounds through it. They are shooters.

Edwin Hubble

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast