Thread: Wooldridge 16 plus

Default Wooldridge 16 plus

Hello,

I recently purchased a 1983 Wooldridge 16 plus and have not seen it yet. I have seen a few basic pictures of it, but nothing too detailed. The reason I haven't seen it yet is because I live in Unalakleet, and the boat is in the Anchorage area. Anyways, I only purchased the boat and trailer, so am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on powering it with Evinrude etec, or Honda? I'm looking at an etec 75, 90, or 90 H.O. Also, if you have any 16 plus photos, I would appreciate being able to see them, as I won't be able to see my boat until later this summer. I am excited about the full canopy…kids will stay out of the wind.

I know some of you may say why Evinrude? In my mind…why any newer motors? can't really work on them much nowadays. If I need to send a motor back to Anchorage for maintenance, I might as well send the lighter one. Anyways, I have seen the carcasses of more than a few Yammy and Honda…and Suzuki motors laying in peoples yards, so I believe any motor can run really awesome nowadays, or be a lemon.

Quote Originally Posted by jay747dude View Post
    Hello,

I recently purchased a 1983 Wooldridge 16 plus and have not seen it yet. I have seen a few basic pictures of it, but nothing too detailed. The reason I haven't seen it yet is because I live in Unalakleet, and the boat is in the Anchorage area. Anyways, I only purchased the boat and trailer, so am wondering if anyone has any thoughts on powering it with Evinrude etec, or Honda? I'm looking at an etec 75, 90, or 90 H.O. Also, if you have any 16 plus photos, I would appreciate being able to see them, as I won't be able to see my boat until later this summer. I am excited about the full canopy…kids will stay out of the wind.

I know some of you may say why Evinrude? In my mind…why any newer motors? can't really work on them much nowadays. If I need to send a motor back to Anchorage for maintenance, I might as well send the lighter one. Anyways, I have seen the carcasses of more than a few Yammy and Honda…and Suzuki motors laying in peoples yards, so I believe any motor can run really awesome nowadays, or be a lemon.
    Honda makes great stuff, I have a Honda dirt bike and a Honda 4 wheeler. On the 16' Wooldridge I would pick the E-tec over the Honda for the weight on a small boat and the snap of the E-tec. Glen

Thanks Glen…that's what I was thinking. I am impressed with all the outboards nowadays. I believe the most heartache is caused by operator error or not following proper procedures. I am leaning toward etec because I will not only fish and hunt with it, I haul logs for my sawmill, and will need instant power at times. My wife and I are very excited about owning a Wooldridge boat…i feel like we adopted a baby, but have to wait to see it. There are many proud (and rightly so) Wooldridge owners in Unalakleet, and we are blessed to own one now. I know the 16 plus is an older one, but if it's anything like the newer ones, I know we will be very happy with it.