Thread: upgrading my .308

Default upgrading my .308

My dad recently gave me his old .308 (Remington model 7). The gun has maybe 10 rounds through it in the last 20 years -it's like new. However, it has a 4 power scope and a wood stock on it. I want to swap the stock to synthetic, and put a 12 power on it. I'm not a fabricator, I want something to "plug and play" so I can make this my sheep/ goat/ caribou gun. I'm a mountain hunter and I currently use an old Remington 30.06 w/ a Leopold 3x9. I love the 'ol trusty gun, but it weighs in close to 12 pounds. Any suggestions for stock and score for the .308? I'm not made of money, but I don't mind spending it if you get what you pay for. i.e I'd prefer Vortex over Swarovski.

This one fits what you're looking for.

https://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan...ngton-model-7/

AZinAK

McMillan stocks are first rate, and for a mountain gun get the Edge Technology upgrade.

Just a question, for such a lightweight rifle, in .308, why such a big scope? I'd personally go smaller, either 2x7 or 3x9 Leupold compacts to keep the balance right; I've heard the DNZ, http://www.dnzproducts.com/product/g...r-remington-3/, mounts are good quality and I've got them on my list to upgrade for my .260 Rem Model 7. For my Model 70, I've been using Talley aluminum mounts, but you need a one piece for the Model 7.

Quote Originally Posted by AZinAK View Post
    This one fits what you're looking for.

https://www.mcmillanusa.com/mcmillan...ngton-model-7/

AZinAK

My model 7 sports a DNZ scope mount. It allows for full access to the chamber. The only issue with a DNZ is that their screws are coated with a material that acts as a thread lock, but has little corrosion protection. In snow and rain they rust in minutes, so I coat them with CLP like frog lube frequently.

I also put a new stock on. I picked up a HS precesion and had the barrel chanel opened for the magnum barrel and then glass skim bedded. Nocked a few pounds off the original weight. Also have a 3x9 CDS scope.

I recco the B&C Alaska Wilderness / Mountain Rifle stock from Stocky's @ $270.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/stocks...ew-models.html

The McMillan w/ edge technology is a great stock, but costs close to $600.

I can't like the Vortex. Get a Leupold 6x36 or 6x42. M8 (used) or the newer FX-II/III series.

I love those M7s...

I'm thinking a nice synthetic stock and upgrade the scope and mounts. I'd likely stay with a fixed 6x36... those big 12x variables just seem out of place on a light, trim rifle.

You can do some surprisingly good shooting, even at a distance with a lower powered scope. I've taken 3 caribou from 300-350 yards. 2 with a 6x and one with a fixed 2.5x. They all went to the freezer and a higher powered scope wouldn't have helped any.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Whatever you choose as another stock for the rifle, you should bed it for the best performance. You do not need to be a fabricator to do that. Just search for a you tube video and have at it. If you still don't want to do it, it is a relatively inexpensive procedure done by a COMPETENT gunsmith.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

+2 on the McMillan stock, 3x9 for the scope and glass bedding to provide the most stable platform for the receiver and get the best possible accuracy from the rifle.

Wow what is this Throwback Thursday? I was in this exact boat some 18+ years ago while in college!!!

My dad gave me a similar .308 Remington 700, 1980s vintage and a Tasco scope. I immediately went about upgrading it (gotta love those older shiny wood stocks right). So over the next two years I 1) put on a Bell and Carlson stock with an integrated nylon sling built into it (no swivel studs) 2) put on a Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9 scope, 3) had a gun smith do a trigger job, glass bedded it, and gave the barrel a target crown.

It shot pretty good.

The McMillan would have been much better but I only paid about $90 for the Bell and Carlson. In the end I kind of wish I would have traded/sold the gun as it was in stock form and spent the money on a much better rifle as a base. Something stainless. Had I kept it as Dad gave it to me, I would have been more inclined to keep it as a keep sake over time. Last year I sold my .308 to clean out the gun safe.

If I were you I'd get a trigger job done for sure and shoot the heck out of it. Then I'd have to think about doing anything else to it vs getting a near ready mountain gun, go to Cabelas/Sportsman Warehouse and check out the Tikka T3 Lite for $800(ish?).

Sobie2

Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Wow what is this Throwback Thursday? I was in this exact boat some 18+ years ago while in college!!!

My dad gave me a similar .308 Remington 700, 1980s vintage and a Tasco scope. I immediately went about upgrading it (gotta love those older shiny wood stocks right). So over the next two years I 1) put on a Bell and Carlson stock with an integrated nylon sling built into it (no swivel studs) 2) put on a Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9 scope, 3) had a gun smith do a trigger job, glass bedded it, and gave the barrel a target crown.

It shot pretty good.

The McMillan would have been much better but I only paid about $90 for the Bell and Carlson. In the end I kind of wish I would have traded/sold the gun as it was in stock form and spent the money on a much better rifle as a base. Something stainless. Had I kept it as Dad gave it to me, I would have been more inclined to keep it as a keep sake over time. Last year I sold my .308 to clean out the gun safe.

If I were you I'd get a trigger job done for sure and shoot the heck out of it. Then I'd have to think about doing anything else to it vs getting a near ready mountain gun, go to Cabelas/Sportsman Warehouse and check out the Tikka T3 Lite for $800(ish?).

Sobie2
    I hear you - I really would like to have Tikka - I figured that it would be cheaper to just swap the stock and scope on Dad's old gun. I'll have to play with the idea of keeping it 'as is'. I figure for $275ish for a stock, and another $300 for a scope, I'm saving a couple hundred. I wanted a 'drop in' so I can put the old stock back on when it comes time to sell it. Maybe I'll just keep the stock, upgrade the scope and put some 'memory marks' in the stock. I guess the up-side is that my mom has a Tikka .270 (stainless) that maybe she'll give me in a couple years!

Oops, turns out it's not a Remington 700, it's a model & .308 - I think they are little harder to find, and subsequently worth a bit more. Not sure if that makes a difference in the stock / scope options. I think I've narrowed the scope down to a Leupold - now still deciding on the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by xcrnr View Post
    Oops, turns out it's not a Remington 700, it's a model & .308 - I think they are little harder to find, and subsequently worth a bit more. Not sure if that makes a difference in the stock / scope options. I think I've narrowed the scope down to a Leupold - now still deciding on the stock.
    typo. It's a * Model 7