Thread: Gulkana Update

Default Gulkana Update

Spent the day down in the upper Gulkana and the water is still real high and although I have been told its dropping the rain hasn't stopped much just north of there so I am sure more water will come. Didn't see a lot of Kings in any kind of numbers, caught one today in about 6 hours of fishing up at the forks. The reds appear to be in good numbers all over, caught a couple today. Sure seems like everything is behind schedule this spring/summer.

Default reply to Gulkana Update

[according to hydro reports the river will be up to 7.1, hard to fish at the best of times. Just got back from the Gulkana and the Klutina. Klutina is great for reds and even some smallish Kings; however, the Gulkana is running high and muddy. Even the guides are having trouble putting people on fish. Good luck!

Default Snow And Richardson Closure!

We rolled into Fielding Lake 8:30 pm, 6/22......steady light rain but not uncomfortable, snow on caps of mountains. As we trolled for 2 hours we watched the snow level creep down the mountains until we were being snowed on heavily at the boat launch as we loaded up. Soon found ourselves in a total blizzard. 31 degrees and snowing with grown trees sliding down the hills into the highway until we reached Ruby creek....there we encountered heavy equipment trying to divert the creek at 2am.....today I learned that the Rich is closed. Based on these facts, I expect the Gulkana to be pretty dang high for the foreseeable future.

Default Gulkana and Klutina

We hit Gulkana below Sourdough on Sunday afternoon. After about 15 years of fishing it at this time or slightly later, I was shocked at the cool breezes and downright COLD temps at night. The water was ok on Sunday, slightly off color but good for back bouncing with bait. In two solid fishing days never saw a king, watched the water rise almost 12 inches and muddy up. Caught several nice rainbows and grayling however and believe it or not, the skeeters were the fewest I've ever seen there. Have to say it felt like middle of May. Drove to Klutina on Tuesday and stayed till yesterday afternoon. Camped at "King for a day" and hung out and caught reds with the touristos. Had a GREAT time! Nice folks there, very laid back. Lotsa very nice fish in the water.

Default Road Closure

Was headed down that way, but heard of the road closure. Here's the link to monitor the road closure status on the DOT Website.

http://511.alaska.gov/default.asp?ar...critical&date=

So much for fishing Gulkana this weekend.

AK_BigO

Default Jlady and fishing on the Gulkana

Concerning the Gulkana I will agree the Fishing around the forks has been slow at best however the lower portion of the river has continued to produce fish in numbers. I for one appreciate all comments concerning Rivers I also hate to waste time and money when accomplishing my summer fun however I or one of my guides have been on the Gulkana daily and brother I am here to tell you we have had no problem catching limits of Kings on the lower part of the Gulkana. For the most part the Water conditions have been just about normal yes the water did come up for two days and we had to work for our fish, but as an example today we boated 6 for 6 in 2 hours with another 4 hook ups the clients were happy and decided to head out through Glennallen because of the road issue back to Fairbnaks.

The front the blew through and dropped snow, and ample rain will effect the river for a while that is granted. Sorry to see your fishing was sub par, but making a general statement about the river and that guides are having trouble catching fish is a killer.

I provide updates to a couple of local businesses around Fairbanks to help people make a choice of which side of the state to fish on a given weekend today I reported it rain on the upper chena and it would be a waste of time to try and fish it for at least 2-3 days not what a store front wishes to hear. I also reported that the bridge was washed out and to expect the Gulkana will be on the rise over the next 2-3 days however fishing the lower river this weekend would still be a good bet prior to Sunday Afternoon and that the Klutina is still producing Reds in numbers. If I our my guides were having issues putting clients onto fish I will report it accurately, but as a statement about my guides, and business not a general statement that the guides could not even put people on fish as meaning all parts of the river and all guides. Sorry if I seem to be venting about this, but the statement effects all associated aspects of living.

I do appreciate your prospective "honest" just a killer statement that is not entirely true.

Respectfully

Richard M. Mousseau
    www.bluemooserafting.com

Blue moose i see nothing wrong with that post above,you are one of many guides on the river,could it be that other guides are having a tough time catching fish,maybe there just not as good as you??????

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose
    Concerning the Gulkana I will agree the Fishing around the forks has been slow at best however the lower portion of the river has continued to produce fish in numbers. I for one appreciate all comments concerning Rivers I also hate to waste time and money when accomplishing my summer fun however I or one of my guides have been on the Gulkana daily and brother I am here to tell you we have had no problem catching limits of Kings on the lower part of the Gulkana. For the most part the Water conditions have been just about normal yes the water did come up for two days and we had to work for our fish, but as an example today we boated 6 for 6 in 2 hours with another 4 hook ups the clients were happy and decided to head out through Glennallen because of the road issue back to Fairbnaks.

The front the blew through and dropped snow, and ample rain will effect the river for a while that is granted. Sorry to see your fishing was sub par, but making a general statement about the river and that guides are having trouble catching fish is a killer.

I provide updates to a couple of local businesses around Fairbanks to help people make a choice of which side of the state to fish on a given weekend today I reported it rain on the upper chena and it would be a waste of time to try and fish it for at least 2-3 days not what a store front wishes to hear. I also reported that the bridge was washed out and to expect the Gulkana will be on the rise over the next 2-3 days however fishing the lower river this weekend would still be a good bet prior to Sunday Afternoon and that the Klutina is still producing Reds in numbers. If I our my guides were having issues putting clients onto fish I will report it accurately, but as a statement about my guides, and business not a general statement that the guides could not even put people on fish as meaning all parts of the river and all guides. Sorry if I seem to be venting about this, but the statement effects all associated aspects of living.

I do appreciate your prospective "honest" just a killer statement that is not entirely true.

Respectfully

Richard M. Mousseau
    www.bluemooserafting.com
    Moose,

I canceled a much anticipated float for Kings from Poplar to the bridge when I was told by Glenallen fish and game that the river was high and muddy and takes about 3 days to come down.....since then I am hearing many reports like yours that the river was high but came down fast and fishing was at least decent....My new plan is to come down and float Thursday and Friday next week if the river level cooperates. Would you suggest that I not worry so much about water levels and just go for it? I've got a lot of experience on the river down there, but have learned over the years that it can really be a wasted trip when the water is way up. Maybe I'm learning now that the water can change so quickly that canceling completely is a bad idea?

Default Question

Moose, what is your opinion of why the forks is so slow? Is it because the fish are late? This time of year a guy generally does very well up there and I didn't see any kind of rolling or splashing to even indicate there were kings in any kind of good numbers up there. But in the past when the water is high it seems like a lot of fish zip on through the run quickly.

Default Bad water!!!

Just got off the Denali Hwy for the last 4 days and checked in at Sourdough C.G. As if 6 inches of snow up at Macleran pass wasn't bad enough the river is at 33 at the ramp at S.D and whole trees were floating down the river! It was a mass exocus of rafts and jet boats getting off the river. When I left the Denali @ 4:30 rain was still falling down in the Alphabets. Long story short the Gulkana will not be fishable for at least 3 and probably more like 5/6 days or so. Don't waste your time.

Quote Originally Posted by cory100
    Just got off the Denali Hwy for the last 4 days and checked in at Sourdough C.G. As if 6 inches of snow up at Macleran pass wasn't bad enough the river is at 33 at the ramp at S.D and whole trees were floating down the river! It was a mass exocus of rafts and jet boats getting off the river. When I left the Denali @ 4:30 rain was still falling down in the Alphabets. Long story short the Gulkana will not be fishable for at least 3 and probably more like 5/6 days or so. Don't waste your time.

How did you do fishing wise on the Denali....snow get in the way?

Just got an eye-witness email from Sunday, 6/25 that says the Lower Gulkana is HIGH and muddy.

Default Snapped and Twisted

Sorry for venting the other day just keep hearing how bad the fishing was and in fact it was some of the most productive I had seen in recent years from the Gulkana RV Park down to the bridge.

Sat Morn i.e. about 4AM the water from up high it and in force. Sunday at 4:00PM it was still on the rise and the rain was coming down hard across the AK Range coupled with Snow Melt will make for extremely high water for the next several days. They are callling for continued flooding acrossed the Richardson for the next 2-3 days with more rain in the mountains.

We Canx all of our Sat and Sun runs on the lower river becuase of high water.

The Klutina was still procuding Reds, but has slowed you really have to work for your fish. The Road to the Lake is flooded you can only get to about 4 mile.

Will reply to some of the other responses as I run from my own big mouth.

:-)

Default Not looking Good

Quote Originally Posted by KMac
    Moose,

I canceled a much anticipated float for Kings from Poplar to the bridge when I was told by Glenallen fish and game that the river was high and muddy and takes about 3 days to come down.....since then I am hearing many reports like yours that the river was high but came down fast and fishing was at least decent....My new plan is to come down and float Thursday and Friday next week if the river level cooperates. Would you suggest that I not worry so much about water levels and just go for it? I've got a lot of experience on the river down there, but have learned over the years that it can really be a wasted trip when the water is way up. Maybe I'm learning now that the water can change so quickly that canceling completely is a bad idea?
    Ok now I have a little time. Concenring your question and the river. The water level will more than likley remain high, but clear some what. I have been on the upper river i.e. below Paxon in extremely high water, but still had some water clarity once you hit the West Fork all bets were off. That being said with the rain in the AK Range and across the Paxon area Friday Maybe. If your just pounding roe for Kings and the river gets a break by Wed you might be able to effectively fish it below Sourdhough by the weekend. I know little to know help! I take off for an upper river trip on the 1st and I am betting on high water all the way down.

I see on weather.com that the Gulkana is going to get partly sunny today, mostly sunny tomorrow, partly sunny Thursday. Also NOAA shows the water level "FLG" which equals falling. Anyone an eyewitness to what the lower river looks like as of Tuesday?

Default reply to BlueMoose re: Gulkana's fishing last week

[Hi Blue Moose: Wow, I never intended to step on your toes! I just reported what was true in 3 days of very actively trying to fish the Gulkana from the shore. The stained and very high water made fishing extremely difficult. Maybe by floating the river we no doubt could have gotten into quieter pools. My husband spent a full day on the river in a riverboat going upstream and only 1 king was hooked. Other guides were bringing in groups of people that did not get fish ... this is not an exageration, and was not intended to in any way hurt you and your business. The general comments from talking to the people was that they had little if any luck in hooking into a king, and saw few reds. I don't respond to the forum in a careless manner, but report what I see as to hopefully help someone else that drives 2 or more hours to get there so that they will have a successful and pleasurable trip. I apologize for ruffling your feathers, that was not my intention. Obviously you saw things abit differently from your rafts than I saw it from shore. I imagine that the waters will clear and go down abit and all will be right with our worlds soon. Good fishing!

Does anyone have recent Gulkana water level/fishing info? I see that the tower was finally able to get a count again yesterday....that's good news, but I assume the lower river (below West Fork) is still totally muddy.

Anybody got any recent news down there?

Default Gulkana

Was down there yesterday caught a couple kings in about 5 hours at the forks. Water still very high and man it just doesn't seem like the numbers of Kings that are normally in the river are there, but it might be duw to high water allowing them to zip thru.