55 18.09%
  • .375 H&H or Ruger

43 14.14%
  • .458 or larger

3 0.99%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite "All-Around" Big GameCaliber in Alaska 2015

Default Favorite "All-Around" Big GameCaliber in Alaska 2015

Lets do a new Poll to let everyone update their Favorite Hunting Rifle!

There are times where I would use a smaller or larger caliber, but my favorite all around is definitely the 30-06. Second favorite would have to be my .243.

30-06 220gr rem corelotk rn, 2nd 12 ga. with slugs
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I was NOT going to vote.........till I noticed it said Caliber and not cartridge. Where-as the current (and for about six years) Love of my firearm infatuation is a "Short" .270 I elected to vote for .270 (Me love the 6.8 SPC-II). Yes the .270 is a Cartridge, but it is 6.8 Caliber......So close enough

He does specify cartridge on some of the calibers though...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I went for the .308, but could easily have gone for the '06. I never thought of a .223 or .243 as a "big game" rifle. I wouldn't even put the 7mm-08 as a big game cartridge. The .270 is marginal for big game (and I speak as an admirer of that cartridge).

Yes, but I was referring t5o the "Title" View Poll Results: Favorite Big Game Caliber

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    He does specify cartridge on some of the calibers though...

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    The .270 is marginal for big game (and I speak as an admirer of that cartridge).
    Really? As an admirer of the caliber, it's hard to believe you said that my friend. Elk are a "pretty big" and tuff big game animal and just ask "Jack" how many elk have been killed with the 270. That being said though, it reminds me of a time when I was guiding and a hunter of mine shot a big dark horned double shovel bull caribou with the 270. Don't know what slug he was using. He missed the first shot but then hit it with the second. Through the binos I saw the opposite shoulder "kick out" and I knew he had hit him, but the bull just stood there like nothing happened. Finally he staggered and fell, but was able to get back up again and start moving away when he heard us coming.

But, with the new premium slugs that are out there nowadays, I really do believe the 270 is a great caliber for all big game. Again, as long as you try your best to match the slug to the size of, or the tenacity, of the animal. Sheep are big game and will fall easily to the 270. Goats "can" be a different story........imo of course.

On second thought, maybe I shouldn't have said "all" big game, as I don't think I'll be going after a big brownie with my 270 no matter what slug I use.....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Shot my first brownie with a 270. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I voted for the 30-06. I've come full circle. Began hunting with a -06, traded up to a .338, tried a .444 (still like to pack & carry it) and came back to the -06.

What? No option for 'All of the Above'?

I picked the .300WM...but in reality, I've got like 5 of those cartridges and love them all, I just happen to love the rifle my 300 is chambered in the most!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Ha...!!!.....so there ya go...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I wouldn't even put the 7mm-08 as a big game cartridge. The .270 is marginal for big game (and I speak as an admirer of that cartridge).
    <gack>...<cough>...<wheeze>.... I like both the 7-08 and the .270...in fact, I like the 7-08 better than the .270. Probably not what I'd consider for all "big game"..but for deer/caribou they're hell on wheels. In the Lesser 48 I don't know that I'd bother having anything else.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    In the Lesser 48 I know I wouldn't bother having anything else.
    Fixed it for ya........lol

We had a Guide worked for us in Wide Bay one bear season, He had the most "RUSTED UP" double butt ugly Remington 7600 or 760 in .270 Winchester (I don't think it even had a back sight). I have zero idea what his name is. But he was one of those guides that you looked at for one second, when you first see them......and you just never have any doubt about their field skills.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    <gack>...<cough>...<wheeze>.... I like both the 7-08 and the .270...in fact, I like the 7-08 better than the .270. Probably not what I'd consider for all "big game"..but for deer/caribou they're hell on wheels. In the Lesser 48 I don't know that I'd bother having anything else.
    I have both, and like them... a lot. Maybe it boils down to what a "big game" animal is. I don't really think of most deer or caribou as big game, rather brown bear, moose, elk, bison. While plenty of moose and elk have been taken with both the 7mm-08 and the .270, I think it is a surer thing to use bigger medicine. Note: I am not advocating magnums here, just .30 caliber or better. But folks should do what they want. I was just giving my opinion. I personally will not hunt in country that holds brown bear without something big enough to kill them. Again JMHO.

.243 since I didnt see 7.62x54r......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I am a .270 and .300wm fan myself : )

I'm surprised no one has championed the .375s (take your pick between the H&h am Ruger). I don't know how you can get more all around shooting 225 to 350 grain bullets!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7mm-08 but no 7mm Mag?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast