Thread: Anchorage Fish & Game Advisory Committee meeting and elections on 4/7/15

Default Anchorage Fish & Game Advisory Committee meeting and elections on 4/7/15

The Anchorage Fish & Game Advisory Committee will hold an election for three regular seats and two alternates on Tuesday, April 7th at 6:30 pm at the BP Energy Center, located at 900 E Benson Blvd. Reports from the BOF and BOG representatives, preparation of any BOF or BOG proposals for next year’s meeting cycle, Chuitna Coal project information, policy for approval of minutes to make comment deadlines, and any other business that may properly come before the committee will be on the agenda. For more information contact Joel Doner at 345-7262.

I know that this AC has gotten a lot of bad press due to their sometimes testy relationship with ADF&G and the content of public testimony given at the Meetings (re-authorization of antlerless moose hunts...).

I am going to run for one of these seats and I'm hoping at least some of you will support me. I am a 30 plus year resident of Alaska, and have lived in Anchorage since the millenium. I have fished my entire life since I was able to hold a rod and hunted small game since age 8 and big game with a moose at age 16. I am an avid fisherman and fill my freezer annually from my boat with shrimp, Halibut, cod, RF, and salmon. I have helped haul out 100 big game animals with my last moose. They were all on foot except for this last moose using an ATV (I'm in a wheelchair these days). I have relied on wild meats for the last 20+ years. I am NOT a trophy hunter or fisherman. I fill my freezer with in the easiest manner possible, although I have caught trophy fish and shot trophy game, simply by being in the right place at the right time.

I am a former research biologist for ADF&G, so I can lend a voice to support actual scientific principles. More recently I was a State Park ranger before getting injured. I won't say that I will always agree with the result of ADF&G population surveys for fish and game, but if they use tested methods and are consistent, folks need to understand that those numbers are the best possible estimates. I would listen to the testimony of the public at the AC meetings and vote as a REPRESENTATIVE of the public and not to my own preferences (more than one AC member said that they would not support antlerless hunting no matter how many people testified for it). I have a strong legal background and have written regulations for approval. I am skilled at reading and explaining state statutes and regulations.

On top of all this, I care enough to spend my time in this HIGHLY PAID volunteer position!

One of the other people running that has a good head on him is Brian Nelson, a current alternate on the Anchorage AC

Thanks for hearing me out

Ira Edwards

I heard on the radio there was some drama at the meeting last night, but only caught a little snippet. Anyone have the skinny on what went down?

I wasn't there but I heard there were some resignations of AC members and Commissioner Cotton got an earful.

I got the minutes link. Lots went on apparently. A good read for those interested.

https://aws.state.ak.us/OnlinePublic....aspx?id=99292

I have been an AC member for many years. I have not read the letters of resignation yet, but personally believe it is much ado about nothing. The AC system is set up so no single AC can control policy for an entire unit. Not authorizing or authorizing antlerless moose hunts is about the only tangible power that an AC has. Anchorage's AC used this power, and are seemingly bent that the other AC's with authority in the same units did not follow their lead. Our AC was sent a letter by a member of the Anchorage AC very upset that we had voted to authorize cow hunts.

Our AC is very supportive of hunting, as are the communities it represents. The further you get from the amenities of the city, the more people depend on the bounty of the land. We agreed that the department of Fish and Game should be able to hold cow hunts in 14C, which extends north to Knik River and south to Turnagain Pass, in places where they determine the population will support the harvest. Our authorization does not open cow hunts. It allows the BOG and Department to open cow hunts, and the Department still has the option to close a hunt before or during its opening if new information comes along that show the population can't support further harvest. All the information we were presented by Department of Fish and Game showed that there is justification in having cow hunts in 14C.

Some people wonder why Valley AC's should have any say in Anchorage decisions- like I said, 14C extends up the Old Glenn Hwy past Eklutna power station and up Knik River Road. This area is part of the Butte, which is much nearer Palmer than Anchorage, and very much a part of the Valley. It is 30 minutes from the Big Lake cutoff; its 45 minutes to an hour from South Anchorage. So I have no angst about the two Valley AC's having a say in 14C's regulations.