The Anchorage Fish & Game Advisory Committee will hold an election for three regular seats and two alternates on Tuesday, April 7th at 6:30 pm at the BP Energy Center, located at 900 E Benson Blvd. Reports from the BOF and BOG representatives, preparation of any BOF or BOG proposals for next year’s meeting cycle, Chuitna Coal project information, policy for approval of minutes to make comment deadlines, and any other business that may properly come before the committee will be on the agenda. For more information contact Joel Doner at 345-7262.

I know that this AC has gotten a lot of bad press due to their sometimes testy relationship with ADF&G and the content of public testimony given at the Meetings (re-authorization of antlerless moose hunts...).

I am going to run for one of these seats and I'm hoping at least some of you will support me. I am a 30 plus year resident of Alaska, and have lived in Anchorage since the millenium. I have fished my entire life since I was able to hold a rod and hunted small game since age 8 and big game with a moose at age 16. I am an avid fisherman and fill my freezer annually from my boat with shrimp, Halibut, cod, RF, and salmon. I have helped haul out 100 big game animals with my last moose. They were all on foot except for this last moose using an ATV (I'm in a wheelchair these days). I have relied on wild meats for the last 20+ years. I am NOT a trophy hunter or fisherman. I fill my freezer with in the easiest manner possible, although I have caught trophy fish and shot trophy game, simply by being in the right place at the right time.

I am a former research biologist for ADF&G, so I can lend a voice to support actual scientific principles. More recently I was a State Park ranger before getting injured. I won't say that I will always agree with the result of ADF&G population surveys for fish and game, but if they use tested methods and are consistent, folks need to understand that those numbers are the best possible estimates. I would listen to the testimony of the public at the AC meetings and vote as a REPRESENTATIVE of the public and not to my own preferences (more than one AC member said that they would not support antlerless hunting no matter how many people testified for it). I have a strong legal background and have written regulations for approval. I am skilled at reading and explaining state statutes and regulations.

On top of all this, I care enough to spend my time in this HIGHLY PAID volunteer position!

One of the other people running that has a good head on him is Brian Nelson, a current alternate on the Anchorage AC

Thanks for hearing me out

Ira Edwards