Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchorage Fish & Game Advisory Committee meeting and elections on 4/7/15

Default Anchorage Fish & Game Advisory Committee meeting and elections on 4/7/15

The Anchorage Fish & Game Advisory Committee will hold an election for three regular seats and two alternates on Tuesday, April 7th at 6:30 pm at the BP Energy Center, located at 900 E Benson Blvd. Reports from the BOF and BOG representatives, preparation of any BOF or BOG proposals for next year’s meeting cycle, Chuitna Coal project information, policy for approval of minutes to make comment deadlines, and any other business that may properly come before the committee will be on the agenda. For more information contact Joel Doner at 345-7262.

I know that this AC has gotten a lot of bad press due to their sometimes testy relationship with ADF&G and the content of public testimony given at the Meetings (re-authorization of antlerless moose hunts...).

I am going to run for one of these seats and I'm hoping at least some of you will support me. I am a 30 plus year resident of Alaska, and have lived in Anchorage since the millenium. I have fished my entire life since I was able to hold a rod and hunted small game since age 8 and big game with a moose at age 16. I am an avid fisherman and fill my freezer annually from my boat with shrimp, Halibut, cod, RF, and salmon. I have helped haul out 100 big game animals with my last moose. They were all on foot except for this last moose using an ATV (I'm in a wheelchair these days). I have relied on wild meats for the last 20+ years. I am NOT a trophy hunter or fisherman. I fill my freezer with in the easiest manner possible, although I have caught trophy fish and shot trophy game, simply by being in the right place at the right time.

I am a former research biologist for ADF&G, so I can lend a voice to support actual scientific principles. More recently I was a State Park ranger before getting injured. I won't say that I will always agree with the result of ADF&G population surveys for fish and game, but if they use tested methods and are consistent, folks need to understand that those numbers are the best possible estimates. I would listen to the testimony of the public at the AC meetings and vote as a REPRESENTATIVE of the public and not to my own preferences (more than one AC member said that they would not support antlerless hunting no matter how many people testified for it). I have a strong legal background and have written regulations for approval. I am skilled at reading and explaining state statutes and regulations.

On top of all this, I care enough to spend my time in this HIGHLY PAID volunteer position!

One of the other people running that has a good head on him is Brian Nelson, a current alternate on the Anchorage AC

Thanks for hearing me out

Ira Edwards

Thanks Ira. I was about to remind everyone, but you beat me to it. Good luck! I'm planning on being there tomorrow and we are sending out a message to the AK SCI membership reminding them to show up and vote. We are not "backing" anyone in this election, but only asking that our members attend and make thoughtful votes for deserving candidates.

Brett

Ira - I heard third hand that some of the worst offenders were voted out last night. Can you confirm and provide an update please? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AKBC View Post
    Ira - I heard third hand that some of the worst offenders were voted out last night. Can you confirm and provide an update please? Thanks
    Voted out would be one way of saying it. Another would be quit. When I attended the Anchorage AC meeting in December to testify for reauthorization of the antlerless hunts in 14C I was struck by the rude, adversarial, irrational, and sometimes even all of the above nature of several of the members towards both members of the public testifying and to the department of fish and game. 4 of the 6 people who quit last night were among the rudest and most adversarial in my experience. There is no room for rude and adversarial personalities on an AC no matter who you are or what you stand for. October should be a good opportunity to get some great people on the board. SCI will be looking to vet and endorse AC candidates for the October election. Please contact us if you have interest in running for the AC.

Brett

I was not at the meeting. I heard from someone that was. I am trying to get a copy of the minutes. The AC members who resigned (most were long time AC members) were disgusted with the current BOG and their actions toward resident hunters. (Antlerless moose and prop 207) SCI supported prop 207. I know a lot of resident hunters who vote at AC elections that will be more careful in the future when SCI recommends someone for an AC.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    I was not at the meeting. I heard from someone that was. I am trying to get a copy of the minutes. The AC members who resigned (most were long time AC members) were disgusted with the current BOG and their actions toward resident hunters. (Antlerless moose and prop 207) SCI supported prop 207. I know a lot of resident hunters who vote at AC elections that will be more careful in the future when SCI recommends someone for an AC.
    What is SCI?
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by mit View Post
    What is SCI?
    Safari Club International .
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    To be clear I supported 207. The board had not taken an official position. I still like the principal of fair chase and addressing the conflict of hunters having planes buzz them in the field, but I've had a few conversations that have me wondering about some unintended consequences. As I've stated previously if this is a mess I'll be the first to say I was wrong.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by BrettAKSCI View Post
    To be clear I supported 207. The board had not taken an official position. I still like the principal of fair chase and addressing the conflict of hunters having planes buzz them in the field, but I've had a few conversations that have me wondering about some unintended consequences. As I've stated previously if this is a mess I'll be the first to say I was wrong.

Brett

Fair Chase and SCI don't usually mix well

SCI will be looking to vet and endorse AC candidates for the October election. Please contact us if you have interest in running for the AC.

Brett
    As a resident who believes strongly that residents are entitled to priority allocation of the resources the last thing I'd want is to be endorsed by SCI.

To be clear I supported 207. The board had not taken an official position.
    Perfect...a person who does not consult the membership before making a decision to represent the membership.

I still like the principal of fair chase and addressing the conflict of hunters having planes buzz them in the field, but I've had a few conversations that have me wondering about some unintended consequences. As I've stated previously if this is a mess I'll be the first to say I was wrong.
    Brett
    Actually BOG member Pete Probasco was the first person man enough to stand up and admit he was wrong.

Solid
    Solid
    And solid

At least there is nothing personal about this thread.....wait...wait....nope nothing.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Brett
    I also support fair chase and would like to eliminate hunters flying around each evening to look for sheep for the next day. However, consider this: I fly around in mid summer and find a place I can land and hunt; I come back during the season and discover that there is either somebody else camped at my desired site, or the wind is wrong to land there, or that particular valley is 'socked in'. I divert to another spot which was my second choice and land there. Meanwhile somebody might decide that I was looking for sheep. How can one scenario be easily distinguished from the other. Ethically there is a big difference in the two, but they could be interpreted to be the same....

Does SCI prevent or discourage or allow record animals to be entered for awards from folks from using vehicles to hunt marco polo in Asia, or helicopters in New Zealand? Or watering holes and bait stations in Africa?

I have mixed feelings about 207. I don't think this reg is for anything but making those without planes feel they have as much a chance at a 38" ram as the guy with the cub. And I think it is impossible to enforce and unfair on many other fronts, as has been mentioned. I will say that I have a lot more respect for the hunter who goes out on a drop off hunt with no indication of there being a legal ram in the area and takes the 8 yr old 32" ram vs one who looks for a 'trophy' ram from the air, lands and makes a play on it the next day. The game changes drastically when you know where the ram is and how you are going to make a play on it.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Oh juli, never say 32" ram on these forums again!! My goodness sheep hunting is strictly about trophy hunting, for someone to say anything about shooting a below average size sheep defeats the whole purpose of horn restrictions in the first place! Ahhhhhg how can this be?!!!

Lol I'd shoot a 30"....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by driveacub View Post
    I also support fair chase and would like to eliminate hunters flying around each evening to look for sheep for the next day. However, consider this: I fly around in mid summer and find a place I can land and hunt; I come back during the season and discover that there is either somebody else camped at my desired site, or the wind is wrong to land there, or that particular valley is 'socked in'. I divert to another spot which was my second choice and land there. Meanwhile somebody might decide that I was looking for sheep. How can one scenario be easily distinguished from the other. Ethically there is a big difference in the two, but they could be interpreted to be the same....
    That's a fair criticism.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
    As a resident who believes strongly that residents are entitled to priority allocation of the resources the last thing I'd want is to be endorsed by SCI.
    I'm going to get our board to support a position against eating yellow snow just so I can post it here and listen to you explain to everyone how wrong I am and how great eating yellow snow really is.......

Brett

Looks like ADN finally got an article about the resignations.

http://www.adn.com/node/2473361

Sorry King Ted but phone calls at home don't count. Only public testimony does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we get King Ted's phone records so we can see if he is at least trying to tell the truth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast