Thread: Caribou Hunt

Default Caribou Hunt

Hello everyone,
    I am new to the forum and Alaska. Iím seeking any guidance or helpful information on a self-guided Caribou hunt. Where and when are the best places to go, I live in the Palmer area and planning on taking a trip up towards the Brooks Range area. Where would I be able to drive to and set up camp or do you have to fly in?

If you drive up the Dalton Hywy towards the brooks , you will need a Bow & have a Bow hunters ed card.

Unless you want to walk your butt off & hike 5 miles out just to be able to hunt.

North of the Brooks just follow the crowds of pickups & if the caribou are in you might get lucky.

An easier place to get into Caribou is the 40 mile Caribou out towards TOK.

Go up towards Chicken & again watch for the pickups with Caribou & you might see some. If you have a Quad, it will increase your chances.

Flying in would definitely get you a better chance but will cost anywhere from $1000. & up just for the flight.

Go to your local Fish & game office & talk with those guys & they can show you where some of the areas are on their Large maps.

Don't got out blind without knowing where you are heading.

If you are hunting the Haul road , Make SURE you have a GPS & know exactly how far you are from the road if hunting with a rifle.

Lots of tickets get handed out because people don't do the info seek before the hunt.

We have killed Caribou on Finger Mountain area, Galbrath lake, The Kapuruk river area, & several spots along the road all the way to Deadhorse.

Do ALOT of Glassing.

Caribou hunting is a BLAST but can also be VERY Frustrating if the animals are not there.

Good luck
    RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

Thank you for the info. I have been looking at the Galbraith Lake Area and think that is where we might end up. Some buddies from work have hunted in that area. I donít think the 5-mile hump would be to bad, guess Iíll have to see. Iím worried about leaving our truck for the couple days that we would be out. I will continue to research that area. Again thank you

Quote Originally Posted by bdboybry View Post
    I donít think the 5-mile hump would be to bad, guess Iíll have to see.
    Getting out isn't the issue. Getting back with 100+lbs of meat will challenge you to your core. It would be tough on a flat, paved surface. Mix in the tussock tundra and you are in for an experience like no other.

Quote Originally Posted by colonel00 View Post
    Getting out isn't the issue. Getting back with 100+lbs of meat will challenge you to your core. It would be tough on a flat, paved surface. Mix in the tussock tundra and you are in for an experience like no other.
    And camping gear if you stay out. I ain't man enough. Three people, light-weight gear, one caribou - probably doable in one trip.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I donít think the 5-mile hump would be to bad, guess Iíll have to see.
    Famous last words!!!!! While it can be true that a 5 mile hike is doable given certain conditions...when you factor in tundra (tussocks and sinking to your knees or farther in endless swamps), putting your camp and a caribou on your back, being annihilated by skeeters (if the wind dies down), and the fact that the caribou probably won't simply be standing around waiting for you at the 5 mile mark, that "5 mile hike" turns into a death march in the truest sense of the word!!!

I love caribou hunting- my favorite AK hunt by far.

If you're an archery guy, the Dalton is popular and productive enough to keep people at it. Rifle hunting the Dalton requires the hike...not undoable, but not the funnest way to hunt caribou...bugs and weather can make it really miserable. A drop off out of Happy Valley will run you $1500-$2200 and is generally regarded as a darn good time by folks who do it. Fly out if you have the finances to swing it. Most productive and best way...and the most expensive. The pilot puts you in front of the herd and you let them move through your area. Chasing caribou from behind is generally a waste of time.

Hunting the 40mi herd is less productive but it is a road system hunt- hunt near Chicken. An ATV helps, but the herd movement can be really frustrating. You generally will see hundreds or ZERO. There is also a registration hunt near Delta, again...you have walk in from the Rich past Jarvis Cr.- not the easiest hike and the bou can be back in there a long way. Once the DCUA goes motorized this hunt closes fast...like the first day.

I'll give you some unsolicited advice- get your residency (assuming non-res since you're new to AK) first. Spend this year small game hunting and learning your way around. Spend a lot of time near the Denali Hwy with a shotgun and a fishing pole in Aug and Sept. watching the herd movement through there. Ptarmigan and fishing there is excellent and you'll see caribou and get a feeling for what is going on. Maybe find a partner with a tag and ride along for the fun.

THEN- put in for the Tier 1 or Draw Caribou tag in GMU13 for 2016. You'll be many miles and money ahead of the curve. Spending the dough for a non-res license and caribou tag sounds like a low yield proposition this fall without flying in.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thank you for the info. I will have to look into the fly out trip as well. I have put in for res. This May will make 1 year for me being an Alaska Res. I am currently deployed but trying to plan something for when I get home this summer/Fall. Again Thank you.

Thank you for the info. I will have to look into the fly out trip as well. I have put in for res. This May will make 1 year for me being an Alaska Res. I am currently deployed but trying to plan something for when I get home this summer/Fall. Again Thank you.
    Caribou "can" be a real fun hunt if you're there when they are. What's also real neat is that just when you think there are no caribou around you'll find one lone bull all by himself. It only takes one so hang in there.....lol

Thank you for your service, and good luck this coming season...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!