Thread: Open water?

Default Open water?

Hi everyone-

My kids are in town for the week and would like to do some fishing. Does anyone have suggestions for open water within a few hours of anchorage? Not particular on what we would like to fish for and I certainly don't want anyones secret spot, but we don't have much experience so any advice or guidance would be so very appreciated. Thank you!!

Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by soon2beinAK View Post
    Hi everyone-

My kids are in town for the week and would like to do some fishing. Does anyone have suggestions for open water within a few hours of anchorage? Not particular on what we would like to fish for and I certainly don't want anyones secret spot, but we don't have much experience so any advice or guidance would be so very appreciated. Thank you!!

Morgan
    get some sabiki rigs and good casting rods and give the Whittier harbor/ beaches a shot. Might pick up something. Kinda early. There's still decent ice to get out on the lakes in town if your into ice fishing.

Release Lake Trout

The next few weeks to a month are a wait and look game. If you want to fish open water in lakes, drive around till you find it. Things are mostly still frozen, but with the warming weather will open up any day. Any lake with 20 feet of open water on the shoreline is fishable from that time on, and can be the best fishing of the year.

i useally wait till all the ice is off the lake first then wait two weeks for the water to turn, i never had any luck right after ice out.

Hopefully this year I can post some proof but I have found the best rainbow fishing is when the edges open around 20 ft in the valley lakes but you got to perfect your presentation for sure and when you do game on. I will say a fly rod with shock line at the but of your leader tapered to no more then 4 lb leader at about 8 ft total length specific bait or fly on a tiny hook and a tiny stick on float and try many different distances and approaches and you will do very well for about two too three weeks after ice out. I have seen many try to duplicate my set up but are lacking very necessary tuneing or gear period to have the same success. I would be more then happy to give specifics for exchange of another very succesfull method.

Quote Originally Posted by troutslayer View Post
    Hopefully this year I can post some proof but I have found the best rainbow fishing is when the edges open around 20 ft in the valley lakes but you got to perfect your presentation for sure and when you do game on. I will say a fly rod with shock line at the but of your leader tapered to no more then 4 lb leader at about 8 ft total length specific bait or fly on a tiny hook and a tiny stick on float and try many different distances and approaches and you will do very well for about two too three weeks after ice out. I have seen many try to duplicate my set up but are lacking very necessary tuneing or gear period to have the same success. I would be more then happy to give specifics for exchange of another very succesfull method.
    Dude I know some stuff but I cant devulge any intell until you pm me w/ full disclosure because I find the trout are lockjaw as the ice is going out and like wesak81 said it lasts for about a week after iceout, I think their biological clock tells them it's time to spawn...

Wow...a friends just sent me this. One of the larger lakes in North Kenai. Seems SUPER early!

Fished a valley lake the last two mornings with no success but was a pleasant time. This is the earliest I remember fishing open water, and had my first float trip of the year the earliest as well and also seen next Saturday is supposed to be sunny and almost 70 so its time if weather goes as said.

Hmmm... time to venture to the back side of base and check on conditions. Have some kids begging me to wet a line!

Jewell lake is open

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Im headed out this weekend! you guys convinced me.

I went out the last two mornings in a canoe and did great yesterday and not so great today but had followers. The weather wasn't great for canoeing open water but was definatly enjoyable.
    Attached Images Attached Images