Thread: Marine Solar Chargers?

Default Marine Solar Chargers?

Need something that will keep my batteries topped off, 20 ft Koffler Bay Bee Canvas top. Ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Need something that will keep my batteries topped off, 20 ft Koffler Bay Bee Canvas top. Ideas?
    Yes, but first how many amp-hours do you need in 24 hrs. Trying to determine the size of the solar panels. What part of the worlds are you in?

Eagle River, 3 to 5 day trips. 20 ft boat so need something I can put away when not in use. Unsure what I need for size hence the thread.

Twin battery's 2 50 hp Honda's. Wipers, electronics lights and bilge pump.

Are you having problems keeping the batteries charged?

I run a 50amp panel and I will switch to 1 of 3 batteries when needed. I can't use when the motors are running it will show an over charge so I have to unplug. I mount on the cabin of the Hewes and leave it up there until I come into the dock.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

50 amp panel are you sure there not 50 watt? I think the controller is set to low, that why your getting an over voltage reading. Common problem when running alternator and solar panels at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Are you having problems keeping the batteries charged?
    Motors were originally 35 HP carb kit to 45 HP . So alternator output not that high, easy to see a slow drop in voltage, with extended trolling one engine.

At speed it does just fine. But spending several days out would be nice to not have run engine, just to top off the batteries.

Batteries not staying charged is normal when trolling for a long time because outboard engines needs to run at a high RPM to keep the batteries charged. Do you have a voltmeter on the boat or a VOM?

Can you describe the batteries system, and what engine you use when trolling also what battery are you having problem with? The answer may be as simple as understanding how your battery system works and use it more efficiently.

Is running a generator with a battery charger out of the questions?

Default Marine Solar Chargers?

Do you have "house" batteries that are used to run appliances or just starting batteries?

If you do you may want to look at getting a battery isolator

http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-IGD140HP-.../dp/B001DKRF2M

They will allow the battery to charge when the motors are running but disallow current from back flowing when starting the motor.

Renogy makes a supposedly decent 100w solar panel kit

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BFC...7UL&ref=plSrch

It should do an ok job of charging the battery back to full and other panels can be added easily with y connectors. You should be able to charge both sets of batteries as well as isolate the house/starting batteries

[QUOTE=kk alaska;1472274]Eagle River, 3 to 5 day trips. 20 ft boat so need something I can put away when not in use. Unsure what I need for size hence the thread.

I have the same boat but powered with twin yamaha 90hp 2 stroke and have thought of doing the same thing, I was thinking of getting two smaller panels and mounting them to the top of the motors with a disconnect for when i want to take the covers off but otherwise leaving them up all the time. Haven't done much more research on it though to see if panels that small would be enough to keep the batteries topped off while out or if it would just keep them topped off between trips which means I might as well leave them at home.

On another note, how do you like the twin 50hp 4str, I want to repower to 4str but I hate the thought of downgrading since the 90hp 4str weigh so much more then my 2strs I need to go to at least a 60hp to be comparable in weight. I can run my 90hp 2str individually on step also which im afraid downgrading hp I wont be able to do that anymore and would need to always have both going.

[QUOTE=akyoooper;1472588]
    Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    Eagle River, 3 to 5 day trips. 20 ft boat so need something I can put away when not in use. Unsure what I need for size hence the thread.

I have the same boat but powered with twin yamaha 90hp 2 stroke and have thought of doing the same thing, I was thinking of getting two smaller panels and mounting them to the top of the motors with a disconnect for when i want to take the covers off but otherwise leaving them up all the time. Haven't done much more research on it though to see if panels that small would be enough to keep the batteries topped off while out or if it would just keep them topped off between trips which means I might as well leave them at home.

On another note, how do you like the twin 50hp 4str, I want to repower to 4str but I hate the thought of downgrading since the 90hp 4str weigh so much more then my 2strs I need to go to at least a 60hp to be comparable in weight. I can run my 90hp 2str individually on step also which im afraid downgrading hp I wont be able to do that anymore and would need to always have both going.
    I love the economy of thin 45 HP 4 strokes max burn is 5 GPH with both engines at 22 MPH plus 30 MPH max. will not stay on step with one engine.
    So thats a trade off. Ideal power, in the 20 ft Baybee would be a Single 115 HP 4 stroke IMHO. But my Hondas run so well hard to justify an extra 10 K .

Just want an idea on a minimum watt output Solar Charger, one that rolls up or easily stored, . Tha.t will hold up around salt water.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    50 amp panel are you sure there not 50 watt? I think the controller is set to low, that why your getting an over voltage reading. Common problem when running alternator and solar panels at the same time.
    You are correct it is a 50 watt panel

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by BRWHUNTER View Post
    Do you have "house" batteries that are used to run appliances or just starting batteries?

If you do you may want to look at getting a battery isolator

http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-IGD140HP-.../dp/B001DKRF2M

They will allow the battery to charge when the motors are running but disallow current from back flowing when starting the motor.

Renogy makes a supposedly decent 100w solar panel kit

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BFC...7UL&ref=plSrch

It should do an ok job of charging the battery back to full and other panels can be added easily with y connectors. You should be able to charge both sets of batteries as well as isolate the house/starting batteries
    Do what BRWHUNTER suggest except with the panels of your choice.