Thread: Haul Road Map

Default Haul Road Map

I was thinking about getting this map for my Garmin GPS and was wondering if anyone has it and what their thoughts / experiences with it are? Thanks in advance for any help!

http://www.daltoncorridormap.com/

Let us know if you get it. Seems cheap even if it doesn't work. I'd want it for many reasons actually. May have to try it

Ok I will keep you posted. Waiting to hear from the guy.

I would seriously question the integrity of the data here. He says the road centerline was measured using survey grade GPS from DOT and that may well be the case. It does not necessarily mean it will put you in exactly the right place on the ground. I'm not saying it is wrong, but it could be precisely inaccurate. There are potentially a lot of transformations involved in getting survey grade data into an appropriate digital format for the recreational user. The math involved in that process is much more complicated and easier for the developer to screw up than the five mile buffer tool (probably in ArcMap) he claims is so complex. I might contact the author out of curiosity and get details as to how the data have been verified and ground truthed. It would be super handy info and if it is defensible when a trooper lands on top of me at the five mile mark, I would say twenty bucks is a screaming deal. I'll post my findings for any interested folks.

Good points! I'm still waiting for a response from the guy myself. Please do post if you find out anything.

I've hunted the haul road a lot, and I've never been willing to rely on a GPS for my 5 miles. I use a map, I know where I am, and I don't shoot anything that's not 5 1/2 miles off the road. Troopers pay attention up there, and I would hate to sit there with my hat in my hand explaining that I trusted the satellites because that was easier than using a map.

Maybe I'm naÔve, but I've used handheld GPS professionally a lot, and every once in a while the gremlins cause my data to be screwed up. It's usually operator error, but I'm not shooting a 5 mile caribou without a good map.

Here is the easy method of staying legal: get a bow, learn to shoot, hike 1 mile out instead! (anyone who has hiked the 5 miles knows that this is truly the easier option!)

I feel the hardest thing about the 5 mile corridor is fatigue;most people don't realize how hard the hike is! You see that bou at 4.5 milesand it doesn't matter if you the most accurate GPS ever itís very hard to passthat animal up!

I used it. It is accurate. If you search the archives you can see where we had threads talking with the creator. You going to carry maps for the whole haul road?

Thanks for all the replies so far! I am bow hunting but have a guy in our group who does not use a bow so I just want to be sure everything is legal if / when I hike out with him. I do like the idea of verifying with a map also so I will look into what maps are available. I will also check the archives for any past threads. Bullelkklr, you don't happen to remember the thread title by chance ? Again thanks for all the input everyone!

Nope - sure don't. Hate to crowd out the few cells I have left - - :-)

The thread about the CorridorMap referred to below was: Alaska maps and arial photos for free from July 2012. The map author is Troutnut and he posted some more map sites in the thread for anyone interested.

I did get a reply from Troutnut. He is more than willing to discuss this stuff. Get ahold of him if you want to pursue it in more depth. From what I learned, this stuff seems like a reliable tool and I think it's defensible if you use it wisely. Troutnut's methods for creating the corridor are different from what mine would be, but I believe they are legitimate and spatially accurate. It would not be all that hard to spot check for accuracy, either. I have also had GPS equipment lie to me, but with proper discretion, this is one more way to be sure you are where you think you are.

Thanks injun joe! I'll let you guys know how it works out this fall. Till the, I'm goin' fishing

A friend of mine was a trooper out of Coldfoot for years. He suggested plotting numerous waypoints on a map along the 5-mile corridor and then connecting the dots for a visual demarcation line. Many a ticket has been issued for those 4.25-4.50 miles infringements. A hard copy is advisable if your GPS can't support the data upload. This way allows a pretty quick dead rekoning of the corridor when small groups of 'bou are spotted within shot and you're close to the line.

It's also nice of him to include a kmz. I'm sure he used the same methods to create both the gpx and the kmz, so checking distances in Google Earth is a great sanity check to make sure the linework is valid. If nothing else, it's a great planning tool.