Thread: Gear Review,

Default Gear Review,

Springs on the way and I'm needing to add a couple of King Rod and Reels to leave at the cabin. Typically fishing from a boat and back bouncing, sometimes throwing a Wiggle Wort. For the money what do y'all recommend. I know the G Loomis Rigs are in favor but surely there are other less expensive units that have great action. I'm not going to poor boy the purchase either. How about braided or monofilament??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been a long-time user of Loomis and love them. But this winter I got to try a couple of the TFO Alaska models- one a caster and the other a spinner. I was sincerely impressed, especially for about half the money. They weigh a little more perhaps, but that's not a liability with king rods. I"m using braid now for virtually everything but mooching.

While I haven't tried them for casting, I just picked up 4 Okuma Coldwaters for trolling. No problems on 30+lb kings so far. I got the 862MH model, about $70 each. Them seem like they would lend themselves to back bouncing and running plugs fine.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

i have had lamiglas rods of various models over the years and love them for kings. loomis rods are top notch for sure. i have even had a couple berkley rods that have seen the tour and have served me very very well for the money. ugly sticks are very durable but cant say i liked them at all.

for line im running mono on most all my set ups. mostly maxima 25 lbs is my favorite and when budget spooling rigs i use andy 25 lbs and have been pretty happy with it. i like having a little stretch from the mono and i havent been cut with the mono nearly as bad as with say fire line. braid is great for sensitivity but with kings that hasnt been my number one concern.

I've had Loomis rods but much prefer the Lamiglas....especially when Trustworthy Hardware in Soldotna has a sale. For utility use, it's hard to beat the Shakespeare Ugly Sticks. A friend that owns a Baja lodge buys Ugly Sticks for loaners and they withstand 150 days a year for years.

If trolling or fishing where a lot of line is required, I use Spectra by Jerry Brown Line 1.......have to buy on-line but I've found it far superior to that in local stores. There are several good monos out there for river fishing.

All are good! Concerning the TFO one Mr. G Loomis is working with / for or is part of TFO now so it does not take a lot of thought to know what you will be getting with the TFO. I have friends that use the TFO Loomis designed rods and love them however that being said small test pool if you know what I mean.

After fishing both, the relationship is pretty clear. I will say though, that in comparison the TFO's I used seem to have a little faster taper, with the butts just a tad stiffer.

Big ugly stick!

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

I'm too a big fan of the TFO rods. Great customer service. How heavy a rod would you recommend and what seems to be the reel in favor. I'll probably get a bait casting reel and a spinning reel so I do t spend the day unraffling others birds nest

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you can find the older Berkley IM7 Air rods, they are hard to beat for the money. They are a little heavy, but I've landed plenty of fish on them... Match that with an ABU 6500 C3 and you get a great inexpensive set up that will last for years.

The standard guide reel on the kenai is a Shimano 200gt. And with good reason. They just plain hold up to any abuse. Drags are glass smooth and they don't break the bank. That's all I own anymore as well. I've had plenty of others. As for line I've run both spectra and mono. It depends where and how you fish. Like was said spectra has no stretch. This can be both good and bad. Makes for rock solid hooks sets. Sometimes too solid to the point folks break rods instead on slamming a hook if holding a rod. Yet works well backtrolling plugs with the rod in a holder. The spectra is like a razor. Easy to cut fingers and hands if you get them where they don't belong when a fish runs. Or landing one. Flips idea it if you get tangled with someone fishing with mono, you won't be tangled for long. Spectra cuts mono like a hot knife through butter.

You can't beat a tekota when it comes to reels.