Thread: Towing triples ?

Default Towing triples ?

Does any buddy know the law regarding towing triples.... 28' prowler 5th wheel and a 20' boat? Thanks

Never mind

LOL! Would you kindly share what you learned for others interested? Thank ya thank ya!
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Default Got a CDL?

• Class A/CDL - May operate a combination of a motor vehicle and one or more other vehicles with a GCWR of greater than 26,000 pounds where the combined GVWR of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is greater than 10,000 pounds; a holder of a Class A/CDL license may also operate a Class B/CDL, Class C/CDL, or Class D vehicle. (Examples: 18 wheelers, log trucks)
    • Class B/CDL - May operate a motor vehicle with a GVWR of greater than 26,000 pounds, or a motor vehicle with a GVWR of greater than 26,000 pounds that is towing a vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less; a holder of a Class B/CDL license may also operate a Class C/CDL or Class D vehicle. (Examples: dump trucks, cement mixer, box trucks, motor coaches)
    • Class C/CDL - May operate any single motor vehicle, or a combination of a motor vehicle and one or more other vehicles not meeting the definitions of Class A/CDL or B/CDL, but is either designed to transport 16 or more passengers, including the driver, or is placarded under hazardous materials regulations in 49 C.F.R. Part 172, Subpart F, revised as of October 1, 2009; a holder of a Class C/CDL may also operate a Class D vehicle.

Most people have no business towing a single trailer, let alone two.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by jdcollins86 View Post
    Does any buddy know the law regarding towing triples.... 28' prowler 5th wheel and a 20' boat? Thanks
    See page 29 of the Alaska Driver Manual...

13 AAC 04.205. Brakes

(a) Except as otherwise provided in this chapter, every motor vehicle and every combination of vehicles must have a service braking system which will stop the vehicle or combination of vehicles within 40 feet from an initial speed of 20 miles per hour on a level, dry, smooth, clear, hard surface, except that a passenger car or other single-unit vehicle with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating of 10,000 pounds or less must be able to stop within 25 feet from an initial speed of 20 miles per hour on a similar surface.

(b) A motor vehicle or combination of vehicles, except a motor-driven cycle or bicycle, must have a parking brake system adequate to hold the vehicle or combination of vehicles on any grade on which driven under all conditions of loading, on a surface free from snow, ice, or loose material.

(c) A motor vehicle or combination of vehicles must comply with applicable federal motor vehicle safety standards adopted by the United States Department of Transportation.

(d) No driver may operate a motor vehicle on a public roadway or other vehicular way, towing a vehicle with a GVWR greater than 5,000 pounds, unless the following conditions are met:

(1) the towed vehicle must have operating brakes on at least two wheels on each side of a three axle vehicle, or one wheel on each side of a double or single axle vehicle;

(2) the towed vehicle requiring brakes must be equipped with an operating, breakaway system capable of applying all required brakes in the event of separation from the towing vehicle; and

(3) the towing vehicle must be of sufficient size and weight to safely control the towed vehicle.

(e) No person may operate a motor vehicle on the roadway towing more than one vehicle unless the towing vehicle weighs more than 15,000 pounds, has three or more axles, and is equipped with an air brake system for both the towing and towed vehicles.

(f) In this section, "GVWR" means the gross vehicle weight rating as defined in AS 28.40.100(a)(9).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

You are NOT required to get a Class A or Class B CDL license to tow or drive any "recreational" vehicle in Alaska no matter the weight or size.......States in the lower 48 started doing recreational class A and B licenses a few years ago because of the increase in accidents. For sure at this time there is no requirement in Alaska. The only rule for sure is no doubles with a tow vehicle under 15K and Alaska wrote it as to require air brakes to be able to tow doubles. One last consideration is total length. I think length over 72 feet (or 65 feet I can't remember that one) requires a permit.

If you require more confirmation contact DOT not DMV.

I remember a long time ago when AK was still Ak, my Dad towed a 24 ft travel tralier with an 18 ft boat behind that... and he could back it up if he had to. Does not look like its legal any longer and probably a good thing.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I towed with the same set up except with a 17' boat behind the 5th wheel. The only place I have heard it is not legal is California and Canada. As long as it is a 5th wheel. I've seen it done with bumper pulls but don't think it is legal.
    The overall length of the combination truck to end of trailer was a law in AK, cant remember where was stated.

Quote Originally Posted by coues32 View Post
    I towed with the same set up except with a 17' boat behind the 5th wheel. The only place I have heard it is not legal is California and Canada. As long as it is a 5th wheel. I've seen it done with bumper pulls but don't think it is legal.
    The overall length of the combination truck to end of trailer was a law in AK, cant remember where was stated.
    See page 29 of the Alaska Driver Manual.

(e) No person may operate a motor vehicle on the roadway towing more than one vehicle unless the towing vehicle weighs more than 15,000 pounds, has three or more axles, and is equipped with an air brake system for both the towing and towed vehicles.
    #Resist

What Taiga has posted is hung on the wall of both scale houses outside of Anchorage. Through the years I've seen numerous people pulled over for towing "doubles" of a fifth wheel rv towing a small boat. It is not legal in Alaska, unless you meet the criteria outlined above.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

We saw several people pulling a camper and then either a boat or trailers with atv's, motorcycles or side by sides while driving from Montana to Colorado. Few in Colorado.
    The idea entered my mind briefly when I was trying to figure out how to get a enclosed trailer and boat to Alaska. I wouldn't but it entered
    my mind.

I saw the same thing on either the Alcan or in AK, don't recall, back in 2007 when I moved up. I would definitely be concerned about braking in a light duty truck, I might try it with a newer one that has 4 wheel disks

I saw one on the Seward Highway on Sunday afternoon coming back from Seward. The vehicle was pulled over between Girdwood and Bird, 1 Ton Truck with a topper , pulling a camper and a trailer with wheeler's.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Probably to go "subsistence" hunt or fish.