Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE Do not flesh bears before bringing them in !!!

Default PLEASE Do not flesh bears before bringing them in !!!

I you harvest a bear & are bringing it to us at PRO Taxidermy PLEASE do NOT Flesh it your self UNLESS it will be several days before you can get it in.

I DO NOT CHARGE ANYTHING for Fleshing if we are Tanning or Mounting them, so leave that job for me.

You can also Freeze them in a plastic bag I they cant be brought in quickly.

I just got 2 Black Bears in that were cut badly & hair roots cut off because the folks didn't understand how to flesh the bears.

They said I wish I would have called you before hunting .

Again FLESHING IS FREE on Skins we are tanning or Mounting.

We also Skin out for free If we are mounting the animal Too.

If you have any questions about fleshing or skin prep & preservation just CALL ME at 907 322 0936.

Good luck hunting,

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy
    907 322 0936

www.protaxidermy.com

Did I mention FLESHING IS FREE if we are tanning or mounting your animal ??????
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

I used to hang out at the shop of a taxidermist friend. You can learn a lot. Big mistake lots of 1st time skinners do is go down the inside of the back leg of a bear rahter than to the back of the foot. It won't lay right that way folks, and your taxidermist will have to do a lot of cutting and sewing.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    I used to hang out at the shop of a taxidermist friend. You can learn a lot. Big mistake lots of 1st time skinners do is go down the inside of the back leg of a bear rahter than to the back of the foot. It won't lay right that way folks, and your taxidermist will have to do a lot of cutting and sewing.
    I have one on the stretching table right now that I had to fix (and two more like it in line)... LOL ...It is one of the most common mistakes made when folks skin bears... So, to all you bear hunters this - make that cut from the center of the heel to just below the anus. In a line straight along the back of the leg. Do not go from the inside of the heel to the penis sheath. I repeat... Do NOT go from the inside of the heel to the penis sheath. LOL
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Why does that make a man cringe.......????

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post

Do not go from the inside of the heel to the penis sheath. I repeat... Do NOT go from the inside of the heel to the penis sheath. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    I just got 2 Black Bears in that were cut badly & hair roots cut off because the folks didn't understand how to flesh the bears.
    Bears from this year? If so, interior or down south? Curious is all... Thanks.

It is also possible they are fall bears that were in the freezer over the winter. Whenever I hear about hair roots being cut through, I think fall bear.
    Taxidermy IS art!

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Why does that make a man cringe.......????

HAHA! That is funny.
    Taxidermy IS art!

Any illustration or video showing what you mean about the skinning of the hind legs. I think I know how to do it and what you are describing but it's always nice to learn more and/or confirm what I think I know.

Have you seen Joe Want flesh a bear hide? He goes right down to the hair follicles. Is that wrong? I have been way too afraid to go that deep. He sure does it fast too. I'm going to try it his way, but it makes me nervous....

I have done a few and haven't had any bad results yet. We are usually in the field long enough to make it necessary to get them fleshed and salted.

To the follicles is OK...just don't want to cut through them or you risk the hair falling out in that spot.
    Taxidermy IS art!

The inside of the leg to the penis sheath is know as the "guides cut". Then when they would lay bears out to measure they could add several inches to the back end up folding the flap
    Out. That's why in some old pictures from when they used to nail bears to the floor and salt them that you can see the anus in the hide. Neat trick. Lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    The inside of the leg to the penis sheath is know as the "guides cut". Then when they would lay bears out to measure they could add several inches to the back end up folding the flap
    Out. That's why in some old pictures from when they used to nail bears to the floor and salt them that you can see the anus in the hide. Neat trick. Lol
    Yep! Makes a nine footer into a ten footer... And better tip for the guide! LOL
    Taxidermy IS art!

I use to skin full time for a taxidermy shop and it was fun to hear the owner tell clients, "it was your guides fault" and it's fun to hear guide say, "your taxidermist can fix that!"
    Master guide 212

You do NOT have to get down to the Hair roots.

A little membrane over them is fine & even a LITTLE fat covering them.

Any time you get too close to the Hair Folicle you take a chance at loosing the hair.

You just Cant leave an inch of fat or meat on the skin & salt over it.

In some cases it wont cause any problems But it can cause major slipping if the skin stays wet or if it doesn't get salted properly, or is left over night before skinning. ( creates lots of heat in the skin & will spoil pretty quickly).

If you have time to get it in , why not leave it to us & get it done right ??

Did I mention we FLESH FOR FREEE !!!

Yes these were This years bears.

Ya its kind of funny when the guide tells the client he shot a 10 foot bear & when it is mounted its only 8 foot tall.

I have 1 on my web site that is Actually 10 foot tall. Its a HUGE bear.

RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy
    www.protaxidermy.com
    907 322 0936
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

A ten foot bear is usually a ten square. Not sure how that equates to standing on its hind legs. I personally would never mount a bear standing up...chest and crotch are what I wanna look at forever. Lol
    Master guide 212

I want to see a taxi do a griz mount sneakin in to a tent pulling out a hunter's leg. But only the back portion of the bear visible, cause the belly is too thin-haired. The hunters foot and lower limb should be mauled a bit and wearing a size 14 kenetrek boot with kryptek highlander alios pants on . That would be a sweet conversation piece, IMO.

Let's get creative, know what I mean?

lb

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post
    I want to see a taxi do a griz mount sneakin in to a tent pulling out a hunter's leg. But only the back portion of the bear visible, cause the belly is too thin-haired. The hunters foot and lower limb should be mauled a bit and wearing a size 14 kenetrek boot with kryptek highlander alios pants on . That would be a sweet conversation piece, IMO.

lb
    I'd like to have a mount of that 400lb blackie on my front porch, chewing on a full can of Black Flag Wasp and Hornet spray like it was a Tootsie Roll...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I'd like to have a mount of that 400lb blackie on my front porch, chewing on a full can of Black Flag Wasp and Hornet spray like it was a Tootsie Roll...
    Or the huge blackie leaving a tootsie roll in front of my cabin. When I posted the pics, my guide buddies were saying, "You should have grabbed the gun, and THEN the camera." But I digress since I have taken nearly 30 black bears, and some of them were quite large, and still reside on my wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Bartlett View Post

lb
    I have actually considered that Larry. It would be quite a fun mount. Grizzly or black bear sow with two cubs, a tent, a cooler, and a bag of cheetohs.
    Taxidermy IS art!

With polar bears, you could make an igloo with the top torn off. Body parts and blood all around. And 2 polar bears. One says to the other. "I really like these things. Cold and crunchy on the outside. Warm and chewy on the inside."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast