Thread: Porch sittin'

Default Porch sittin'

I sit on the front porch of my cabin and watch an big tom turkey strut his stuff. He and his wanna be harem are scattered just on the near side of my 300 yard steel target and even in the eagle eyes of the old hens, I pose no threat. Several disinterested hens pluck new threads of wheat or gaze openly at his foolishness while he toils away to gain their affection. I've got him figured out. He has no porch.

Porch sittin' has become one of my favorite past times. Like this big tom, I've strutted a bit in my day but leave that to younger men who have no porch. Ya see, here on the porch, many problems of the world are contemplated and solved and solutions seem simple. I can share the porch with a friend or my always friendly chocolate lab and we can exchange many ideas upon subjects far reaching in depth and scope. Or, when the worlds problems seem small or less important, this porch can be used for napping.
    Sometimes, however, this porch is the stage for a discussion about other useful items a man might need and one of my favorite is the handgun. Yes a handgun, be it new or old, is often cussed or discussed, here on this very porch. A recent such dissertation was about what could be considered a dream gun.....what's the best 1911, what would I buy IF money grew in trees or some such nonsense. My pick through it all was the Dan Wesson Valor. My counter part held stead fast to the exotic and expensive trinket of the week but I opt for function and reliability with stop and go pedals that fit and nothing flashy. Pure function. From it's Heine ledge straight eight tritiums to the perfectly crisp 3.5# trigger. Maybe I cling to the roots of my humble beginnings and can see no reason to spend $4000 when $1900 will buy a pistol that will always work and always out shoot me. You see, I own a couple of DW's as well as a couple Les Baer guns and a custom Bill Wilson IDPA pistol. The latter three costing lots more than a new DW and I have to say offer no more reliability and only the LB wadcutter gun more accurate.

Another porch discussion of late has been about Glock, or more specifically Glock owners. Not all owners but what I call Glock cool aid drinkers. Such purest are these folks that they cannot see reason to modify or change any part of their beloved Glock pistols. Presumably not even its cheap cheesy plastic sights with the abysmal white framed rear. Further claiming any changes will only degrade both accuracy and reliability and aftermarket parts break sooner. And, of course, all these purest Glock-a-holics have Glock pistol that have more than a hundred thousand rounds thru them and still function perfectly with no parts replaced, broken or worn out and haven't been cleaned.....ever. Fortunately the porch comes with a built in bull **** filter and is raised off the ground just enough. There is adequate straining of both gnat and camel here on the porch.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Turkeys in AK? I just saw a flock of 5-7 of them out of Sutton. Made my day. Wouldn't have seen them though had I stayed on my porch. Had to stretch legs to see them.

I've never been a Glock purist... but I never saw the need to throw aftermarket parts at one either. The final results always struck me as a Honda Civic with a big tail pipe and a rear spoiler. A buddy tricked out his with aftermarket everything...it didn't shoot any better than my bone stock, much battered Gen 1 17. The trigger still sucked and 4" at 25yds was still average.

Stick whatever you want on one....and it's still a Glock, with the same advantages and disadvantages it had before.

Gaston Glock makes a pretty good piece for what it is- a relatively inexpensive gun that shoots ok and doesn't really jam up much and is easy to teach the uninitiated to shoot. A lot of marketing takes over from there...
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

A guy can accomplish a lot sittin' on the porch......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I agree in that porch sitting can decide many problems that we have. While seeing turkeys is out of the question here, we do get to watch moose, bear from time to time, fox once in a while, spruce hens and their brood. We also get into a lot of 'discussions' about the Glocks that we do own and shoot. Most of the shooting Glocks that we all have, as opposed to 'safe queens', get shot a lot. Most of us have replaced the stock barrels with good after market barrels as we tend to shoot a lot of cast bullets. Most of have also replaced the stock sights with a good set of 'night sights' even though we may never really shoot in the dark. One thing though is that the Glock is the 'Jeep' of the hand gun world. We have put our Glock hand guns through some real rough times and they still function with just a little care. Yes I have 1911 format hand guns but I would not abuse them the way that we do our Glocks. Also while I do not clean our Glocks after every shooting session, they do get cleaned time to time. My current G20sf, 10mm has had almost 7000 rounds shot through it and it has never let me down.

Just more 'porch talking', it is fun!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    .........yup.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Well I do my best thinking sitting in the woods or on a creek, but hopefully when we get our cabin built sitting on the porch will be the best. The site on our property is picked out and cleared and the porch will have a view of Denali, Foraker, and Hunter. Nothing to sooth the soul like watching nature! Regarding Glocks- I was resistant to them for many years but finally caved into the usefulness and ruggedness. I still don't care for the standard grips but love what Texas True Bore Customs does to slim them down and make them more comfortable to me. Different grip and sights and now I can't imagine not having Glocks around. I don't get the warm fuzzies from them like I do from a well tuned S&W wheelgun or an old 3 screw Ruger, but I sure like knowing that whatever is thrown there way- they will perform. Can't ask for more than that. Just my .02

When it ain't winter in Alaska I like sitting on my porch or out back on my deck/fire pit area with a good cigar. I love being retired, but miss the daily company of capable men I had at work. It's strange to me that I only carried a Springfield 1911 and a customized Browning Hi Power at work and passed on the departments issued Glock .40 cal. Especially since I now own 5 Glocks that are stock except for the Warren Tactical 2 Lamp night sights they all wear. I plan on sending 3 of them to a place that changes and textures the grip to get rid of the hump. I am looking into a five inch factory barrel for the Glock 19 so I can take it through Canada when we do a multi state camping trip this fall. A reliable 1911 Govt. Mod. with aftermarket sights, beaver tail grip safety and crisp 4 lb. trigger will always be a part of my life and I really enjoy wearing it in my Kramer Horse Hide Belt Scabbard. Lately I have become obsessed with US Grunt gear IWB kydex holsters and mag pouches and got one for each of the Glocks. Life is good and I am a blessed man. Best wishes Murphy.

My stock Glock 21SF does all I need it to do, and just like all a good porch needs is a good rocking chair and a man to rock it, all my Glock needs is a man to hold it, squeeze the trigger and make it ROCK!
    I may have 500 rounds through it, not any failures yet, and its kilt every zombie I have ever ran into - good enough for me..
    Turkey season starts here Monday and with some luck I will make a hunt once again, albeit slower and with less interest in making a kill as each year passes, but if the moment presents itself I pray the young man that is hidden inside once again finds a thrill that only true hunters can understand...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I am also retired and do my share of porch sitting. I have never pulled the trigger on a Glock that it did not go bang. I do clean mine from time to time but way less than any of my other guns. I also have a model 22 that was replaced as a duty weapon from a police department and has no telling how many rounds shot through it. It still goes bang every time and hits where it is pointed. The Glock is what it is and I would not put it second place to anything that it was designed for.

I wasn't paying attention and missed this porch sitting thread...till now. If I could only have one handgun and this world fell plumb apart it would be my Glock 22. It shoots where I'm looking and has never given me reason for concern. I also have one of the FNS-40s. The one minus the safety. It is becoming a favorite of mine. It hasn't earned my devotion quite like my Glock has. Maybe it will, maybe it won't but all I got is time and lots of 40 ammo. How else is a guy to find out.

I've seen your spread Murphy! What a view! I reckon most any old geezer would take a shine to porch sitting with that view. You've paid your due.....so sit on and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post

Yep. Nothin' like porch sitting holding a 4oz Ball jelly jar with two fingers of Grand Marnier VSOP, the fragrant scent of a Montecristo Media Noche Edumundo burning evenly in the other and a Glock on your hip.

A man, his cigar, his cognac, his pistol and his thoughts.

The Refined Hillbilly.
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post
    Yep. Nothin' like porch sitting holding a 4oz Ball jelly jar with two fingers of Grand Marnier VSOP, the fragrant scent of a Montecristo Media Noche Edumundo burning evenly in the other and a Glock on your hip.

A man, his cigar, his cognac, his pistol and his thoughts.

The Refined Hillbilly.
    I need a different porch!!!