Thread: Component build

Default Component build

I am looking at doing a 22-250 component build soon. Wondering what is the best referance material to read before hand.

thanks guys.

Not really sure what the question is here. Reloading components? Building a 22-250? On what receiver? What reference materials about what subject? More detailed info in your question would be helpful. Pretty vague as it is.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Looking to build a 22-250 on a 700 action. References start to finish.

Thanks!

Okay that's a start but not nearly enough info about what you want to do yet. You could spend a couple years just reading how to build a 700 varmint rifle . . . and what the heck do you mean by "component build" by the way. Your question is about like asking what is the best reference material for stuff I could build from what Home Depot stocks . . . it can't be answered because there are too many answers.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Hogslayer6 View Post
    Looking to build a 22-250 on a 700 action. References start to finish.

Thanks!
    That's a combination that can serve a lot of different functions and well worth your interest. A couple more questions. Are you intending to acquire the components and assemble everything yourself? Are you trying to determine which components you'd like to use and then send those components to a gunsmith to have them assembled?
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Ideally I'd like to do it myself, but money and tool availability will make the decision I expect. My current plan is to buy a donor rifle, pull out the action, true it some how (most likely have a smith do it), going with a krieger barrel, wouldn't mind doing the chamber and crown work myself if I can aquire the tools needed, threading I'd do if I can. Buy a drop in trigger most likely a timney, and a after market stock. Post that it's all scope mounting which I've done. So any material that will help with that.

As as far as what I want the rifle to do is, as far and as accurately as I can get it (with standard bullet weights) with out making a bench rest gun.

Hopefully that narrows it down a little more. Never knew there was that much out there

Quote Originally Posted by Hogslayer6 View Post
    Ideally I'd like to do it myself, but money and tool availability will make the decision I expect. My current plan is to buy a donor rifle, pull out the action, true it some how (most likely have a smith do it), going with a krieger barrel, wouldn't mind doing the chamber and crown work myself if I can aquire the tools needed, threading I'd do if I can. Buy a drop in trigger most likely a timney, and a after market stock. Post that it's all scope mounting which I've done. So any material that will help with that.

As as far as what I want the rifle to do is, as far and as accurately as I can get it (with standard bullet weights) with out making a bench rest gun.

Hopefully that narrows it down a little more. Never knew there was that much out there
    There are several books that explain the details of the work you're after. This BOOK by Patrick Sweeney is a fair representation of the work and is very accessible with respect to the steps that you mention.

I would make a couple of suggestions. If you have prior machining experience (particularly lathe experience) you can do this project. However, it is very unlikely that you can do the metal work (installing, chambering, threading, crown) as cheaply or as well as you can hire it done unless you have access to all of the tools that will be required without cost. The other steps do not require special tools and can be executed quite well without speciality tools by using some patience.

Customizing rifles is a field that is almost without limits and you'll find that there is a never ending supply of information pertaining to it.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.