Thread: Near mid-air collision!

Default Near mid-air collision!

At at about 3 pm I was in the yard and heard more than one aircraft and turned to observe two cubs in what at first appeared to be formation flying but at as I watched it was apparent they were converging. One of them did an abrupt bank away from the other at a distance of no more than a couple hundred feet. He did not peel away, it was an immediate manuver in order to avoid a collision. Both aircraft were at the same altitude. Probably about 1000 indicated which is very common to see in this area and around the valley.

Got my attention!

LOTS of air traffic today. My eyes were busy!

Been there, I try to pick common landmarks and call them out, I was 5 mi south of Holiday strip low level activity with another plane when recent mid air occurred. Even if they had called the strip name I would not have known where they where at and have landed there in the past, but did not know strip name. I try to use common/heavy traffic area names and ALT. Lots of com traffic on nice days so don't want to call every 5 min. Nothing wrong with open talk when trying to find a aircraft close to you. For the CFI's on 122.8/122.9 if you want the kids to call every leg than tell them to just use intercom and and not push the red button on every leg. Hang in there boys and girls we can make it happen

I watched in horror a couple years ago near Butte as a single engine plane at a right angle to the smoke jumper plane that was doing touch and goes out of Palmer nearly collided right above us near Bodenberg Butte. It was CLOSE. The single engine plane veered off. I doubt the guys in the multi engine even saw it.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

It was the attack of the student pilots down here in Homer. C-150s were thick as flies.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com