Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clear Creek trail access

Default Clear Creek trail access

Hi everyone -

just a quick trail question if you don't mind.

I have yet to ride the Chase or Clear Creek trails out of Talkeetna, but I plan to and I was told the Clear Creek trail crosses the Talkeetna river and can only accommodate like 49" or narrower ATVS.

When looking at the map, however, it "appears" that the Chase Trail does not cross the river and intersects with the Clear Creek trail.

Anyone know if this is the case and if I would be able to take a wider ATV down the Chase and then hop onto the Clear Creek trail?

I am doubting I can, but the map has me wondering.

Thanks!

46.5 inches. No bigger. Just fyi, most of the trail is on an easement, but some of it does go through private property once you get close to Clear Creek. Just make sure you check with the matsu mapper to ensure you are not on private property. I own property out that way and nothing makes me more mad than someone jacking up the trail with their equipment. We put time and effort into keeping the trail maintained, and keeping people off the trail that don't belong to ensure our rights as property owners. Hope you don't think I'm trying to tell you not to do it; some people just don't understand the idea of what it takes to keep a trail in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem, man.

Thanks for the reply.

I thought that was the only way, but like I said, the map online shows Chase Trail leaving the parking lot and heading pretty much straight north on the east side of the river, then intersecting with the Clear Creek trail that would go east, thus no need to cross the river. I figured the map was off, but wanted to check.

No worries - I don't have anything narrow enough to get there!

Quote Originally Posted by Longkj View Post
    ..., and keeping people off the trail that don't belong ...
    You mean keeping folks off of private property, not keeping folks off the easement trail....right?
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Heck, I don't own property there and I agree with him.

I wouldn't want people running up there on the trail tearing it up for no reason. There is no point in them being there if they don't own property because they have nowhere to fish from but private property.

If I owned property there, I'd be picky about it too.

Yeah, I'd have to agree, I wouldn't like it either, however, I'd never try to keep folks from using a trail that wasn't on my property...as much as a bummer it would be to have someone encroaching on my piece of solitude they have as much right to be there as I would being a property owner, and that's enough of a 'point to be there' to me...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

A trail on public land can be used by anyone. If they stray on to private property they are trespassing. My property has a neighbor's cabin assess trail across one corner. If he is using it I'm ok with that. If anyone else uses it I am NOT ok with that. My property is posted and should you be found on it, you will be confronted and I will file a complaint with law enforcement. Who knows....you may be there 'casing' the place for future trespasse.

YOU need to know where and where not you tread.

I have seen more spring trail damage by 'locals' hauling heavy materials in when the trail is wet and soft than by day trippers. It was so bad in several locations two of us cut reroutes. Then last fall I spent eight hours trying to 'fix' the damage with a piece of equipment. It needs more work. When the local was confronted regarding the damage the response was an expletive.

The winter trail is 'groomed' by me to smooth the trail for material hauling. If some one rooster tails the trail and grooves it....not much I can do...lack of respect in my opinion.

If you use a trail, being property owner or visitor, you need to respect the effort that has gone into keeping the trail in shape. You need to 'help' maintain it. If you do not it shows who you really are.

It will be interesting to see how the 'trail grants' from the MatSue borough improves the trails and how long that work will last.

Better trails invite more day trippers.

Better trails mean an easier trip to the property.

Cut new routes? You can do that? If we are being picky of trails and land ownership can you alter an easement? I'm assuming that's what you changed.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I wonder how many of you guys really know your boundaries. as a land surveyor, it is amazing what people think they own.
    if you don't know, it might be a good idea to find out before confronting people who may be on public land.

I have found and marked all my corners, brushed the lines, posted and flagged. With borough supplied documents all the corners were found using the bearing trees, tapes and a metal detector. So, yes, I do know where my boundaries are. I hope others do too.

Is there an easement?
    Nothing on record at the borough.
    I've checked.
    Anyone working on the trails does need to know where the private property is.

So, if someone goes around a mud hole on a public trail, are they violating an easement on public land?

If someone makes a trail into a kill site, are they violating an easement?

I think I'll just stay home and never go out into the wild. Not the Bears I'm afraid of more of the scary folks living out there

Okay so this thread has gotten a bit off the original intent, but to that point, I say this:

It is LEGAL to park your car in front of someone's house every night on a public road, BUT if you have no reason to be there, I think they are justified in wanting you to leave.

Same goes for Clear Creek Trail. If I owned property out there, I wouldn't want people just riding the trail with no good reason other than mudding on it when they have no stake in the property or the property value out there.

Plenty of trails surrounded by state land to go tear up - leave the private property areas alone.

There are many types of easements........just to name a few.
    View
    utility
    Prescriptive
    Private
    Necessity

This thread is another reason I don't own an atv. To many folks have feelings of entitlement based on location and access. It's human nature, but a bigger to deal with. I get the same way with things. I'm certainly not above being protective of something...even if I don't have a leg to stand on, other than. "They shouldn't..."
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

A "properly posted" trail I am all good with, not some stolen road construction sign nailed to a tree in the middle of no where that says "road closed", that means nothing to me. That is not properly posted. If there is public land to access beyond your property give me a good way thru or around. Was there a trail there before you owned the property? Give a good turn around area at your property line if there is nothing accessible beyond. The last thing to remember is that if it is along a water front such as a river there is an easement granted to the 500 year (or is it 100 year) water mark. Some may remember the issues with the Jim's Creek Access off the Old Glenn. I think the only river in the state I can think of that is exempt is the Kenai River. Remember it's a trail thru the woods and most have no idea what is ahead on that trail. An informational sign at the head of trail could deter some from traveling the trail.

The other problem is many areas are improperly posted and I know of one area I ride on a regular basis that has private property signs posted every where, to include a bunch of highjacked Native Lands signs. A little investigation by me found the truth. Those posting the trail had no legal right to do so. I will leave the Native corporation's name out of this but at first they were a little difficult to work with, then once I gave them coords and pictures they were rather upset with what had been done. I believe the folks doing this are trying to maintain an exclusive hunting area and have every intention of keeping folks out. Stay tuned on this saga. Been in touch with Fish and Game, State Troops and DNR.

If I buy a piece of property with a trail going through it and I chose to not let any one use that trail, that is my right! I pay the taxes not you. I also don't need to supply you with new path around my property that is your job.

Also, if you leave your home without knowing where you are going or whether the land you are on is private or not, you are wrong! Who cares what kind of sign someone puts up. If you are on private property you are trespassing if you don't have permission to be there.

Lastly, just have respect for the state land and the private property. Don't be the guy that thinks he knows his rights or know exactly where he is on a map. Most property owners know what land is there's and what is not. They also know their neighbors land and their neighbors opinions on strangers on their land.

Us property owners don't want jerks tearing up the trail or our property we use to spend quality time with our kids or grandkids. It's about respect, that's it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The lower 48 is here.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by sh View Post
    I wonder how many of you guys really know your boundaries. as a land surveyor, it is amazing what people think they own.
    if you don't know, it might be a good idea to find out before confronting people who may be on public land.

Hahaha, how right you are!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast