Thread: April 19, 1775 - "The Shot Heard 'round the World"

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

Default April 19, 1775 - "The Shot Heard 'round the World"

Honor those that gave their lives so that we may be free.

Learn your true Heritage.

Learn to shoot your rifle well.

Spend the weekend at the Alaska Appleseed Marksmanship Clinic. April 18 & 19 at Birchwood!

Watch this!

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

There will be some .22LR available for purchase to use at the Marksmanship Clinic.

$25 / brick of 500rds.

There is also some .22LR that will be free to youth that has been generously donated by members of this forum.

We went to war before we even had the army,navy and marines. Enough was enough.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

If you look back, you will see that a few crazy things have happened over the years on that date......including my birth...!!!...........lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

You were born in 1775?

Quote Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
    You were born in 1775?

Yeah, I'm just startin' to feel my age now........
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Maybe you knew Elizabeth Zane?

On September 11, 1782, Fort Henry was besieged by the British and their Native American allies. Betty Zane was among those trapped inside. The attackers greatly outnumbered the defenders: 250 Native American warriors allied with 50 exceptionally able British soldiers who never had been defeated. Inside Fort Henry, there were only about 20 males of fighting age. Worse, they soon found themselves running out of gunpowder.

Betty's brother Ebenezer remembered that he had carelessly left a keg of gunpowder back at home. A few boys volunteered to retrieve it, but they were not allowed to leave because their deaths would mean the loss of valuable fighters. Knowing this, Betty volunteered to make the extremely perilous trip herself, claiming, “I am of no use here in the fort. I cannot fight, but I can bring the powder” She converted the usual disadvantage of being female into an advantage, as she reasoned that the British and Native Americans would be less inclined to shoot a girl than a boy. Her rationality combined with her daring spirit compelled her to brave the sixty yards between Fort Henry and the Zane home, knowing she faced some 300 enemies.

Luckily, she traveled to the Zane home unharmed. The Indians were amazed and yelled “Squaw, squaw” when she ran past. She wrapped the gunpowder in her apron and started to make her way back to Fort Henry. This time, however, the Native Americans and British were not fooled by the seemingly harmless girl, and they fired at her. The woods erupt in musket fire - the balls whistle all around Elizabeth as she runs for her life and the lives of her fellow settlers.

She makes it almost all the way back when she falls. The settlers in the fort look on in horror at poor Elizabeth…

So what happened to Betty? Did she get hit by musket fire?

Find out at the April 18 & 19 Alaska Project Appleseed Marksmanship Clinic.

For those of you interested in American history, I recommend reading A.J. Langguth's book Patriots - The Men Who Started the American Revolution. I read it in undergrad History class and I loved and learned so much from it that, later on, I bought three copies of the book to give my my kids in an attempt to seduce them into developing an appreciation for the history of how this nation came to be (not to say they were interested or read it).

I'm sure there are some forum members who are Vietnam Vets. For you guys who are (please know that I applaud you, I am grateful to you, and I thank you for your sacrifices made, including all that you have seen, done and endured), and for us who are not but are nonetheless interested in knowing about our vets' sacrifices and that segment of U.S. Military history, A.J. Langguth also authored Our Vietnam - The War 1954-1975.

Pro Deo et Constitutione Libertas aut Mors

Yup, that is a good read.

Another good book is "Band of Giants".

From George Washington starting the French and Indian War to the return of Lafayette to America 43 years after the end of the Revolutionary War.

This is a great story of the Amateur Solders that fought in the Revolutionary War. The triumphs, disasters, wins and loses.

Having read several books about the Revolutionary War. If someone were to ask me, "What would be a good first book to read about the Revolutionary War?". This is the book I would recommend. It is fast paced and easy to read.

About one week left to sign up for the April 18 & 19 Project Appleseed Alaska Marksmanship Rifleman Clinic.

Let us teach you how to improve your shot groups from this...

To this...

Earn the coveted Appleseed Rifleman Patch...

Learn what happened at North Bridge on April 19, 1775...

How is the robot doing? Haven't seen him for a long time.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

He's been gittin' ready for the next Appleseed Marksmanship Clinic.

Practicing the Six Steps of Firing a shot, the Steady Hold Factors, Natural point of aim, &c.

He has the standing position down but is having some difficulty with kneeling and prone.

Still some spots available!

There is a few slots available. Need to sign up before 6:00am Friday.