Thread: Badger Slough?

Default Badger Slough?

The kidlets and I just got back from fishing the slough to catch not one thing.
    We always see people down there fishing and I don't know what kinds of good bait to use or if there are really even fish in there. We saw some this evening, but sometimes those fish are so well fed since it's all catch and release that maybe they are just not interested in our bait.
    Ideas?
    Suggestions?
    If you live in the area of Badger Rd and Peede Rd, what do you use or is there a better area of the slough to fish at?
    Thanks in advanced!
    Lurker.

COtoAK- I take it you were not fly fishing for those grayling eh? That's a pretty sure fire way to produce fish out of there. If your not into fly rods and tapered leaders... You can try a casting bubble with a small Adams, mayfly, mosquito pattern for risers, and small green beadhead nymph patterns if the fish are a little shy. Try early in the morning or really late at night with an extra coating of bug repellant! Other options are Piledriver slough down stream from the Eielson farm road bridge. Keep walking until you find the fish and have fun!

Default Thanks so much!

Wonderful!
    I bet that you are that regular guy down there that we always see fly fishing. My kids are always commenting and complimenting that gentleman when we see him because he's almost well over thigh high in the water and he just gracefully fishes.
    Thanks for the advice. We are going to try another fishing spot this week, too... just outside of Fairbanks/Farmer's Loop side.
    ...and yes, we were fishing late (almost midnight) and we still didn't catch anything. All we saw were fish jumping and teasing the kids. I could have sworn that all three of them were going to jump in and get them.
    Lurker.

Default good place

well good place for the badger slough is right near where the water runs under the road there is a lil island there and you can easly wade to it. If you are using a fly rod thats where i killed them just one after the other. but if not what barlydog said is good to. there are some pike apprently that are in there and grayling and i even managed to catch a sucker fish which do not fight. good luck. you may try bellaine lake for trout pretty easy to catch them in there with a bober and powerbait.
    You cant have bait without a bait boy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BaitBoy View Post
    well good place for the badger slough is right near where the water runs under the road there is a lil island there and you can easly wade to it. If you are using a fly rod thats where i killed them just one after the other. but if not what barlydog said is good to. there are some pike apprently that are in there and grayling and i even managed to catch a sucker fish which do not fight. good luck. you may try bellaine lake for trout pretty easy to catch them in there with a bober and powerbait.
    Yes... thanks for letting me know, too. I was thinking about bringing the kiddies up to Bellaine Lake to let them do some fishing.
    I have seen some people out there on the little island in the middle of the slough right there, but right now, I would have to swim out there and it looks like it's a good foot or so deep, so I am not sure if the kids could make it out to the little island with me or not.
    Hm...
    Any other suggestions?
    Lurker.

The fish majority of the fish only go to the slough to spawn then they move back into the chena. Then back to the tanana in the winter. They have mostly moved. Try the chena or if you just want to take your kids to some fish chena lakes is fully stocked. The slough fished well in the spring right up untill the middle of june.

COtoAK I hope your success is better than last time. KK has a good point. This is a great time to hit the Chena since they migrate up and down the sloughs and river... I fished the river with my boys out by Chena lakes with good success, not a lot of fish, just big fish! Chena lakes is a great place to get the kids excited. Try the float/fly set up and try a shrimp and bobber combo. My boys caught some nice rainbows 2 weeks back, along with around 50 stocker salmon. Best of luck!