Thread: What's your opinion on the best type of sealant to use between logs?

Default What's your opinion on the best type of sealant to use between logs?

I'm curious what other people's preferences are on the different types of sealant that goes between the logs on a 3-side log cabin. I've seen people use like a weatherstrip type of seal before and also just strips of fiberglass insulation. But I am curious what other people have used and what works best for them. Backer rods? Oakum? Fiberglass? Some type of weatherstripping of some sort? Please include the pros and cons if you know of any? Thanks.

Not sure it's it's right or not, but a buddy of mine with a log lodge and rental cabins down here uses liquid nails. He runs a healthy bead on the top flat, then lays the next one on secured by timberlocks. The edges of the logs are beveled at a 45, and the gap filled with permachink.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    Not sure it's it's right or not, but a buddy of mine with a log lodge and rental cabins down here uses liquid nails. He runs a healthy bead on the top flat, then lays the next one on secured by timberlocks. The edges of the logs are beveled at a 45, and the gap filled with permachink.
    Now that's interesting. I can see the advantage of creating shear strength as well as sealing the gaps. I wonder how settling affects it. I wonder if tremco "black death" is a viable option.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I'm curious what other people's preferences are on the different types of sealant that goes between the logs on a 3-side log cabin. I've seen people use like a weatherstrip type of seal before and also just strips of fiberglass insulation. But I am curious what other people have used and what works best for them. Backer rods? Oakum? Fiberglass? Some type of weatherstripping of some sort? Please include the pros and cons if you know of any? Thanks.
    This: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...la=pla_8186163 Available at SBS, or just about anywhere else.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

in the state seperated from the lower 48 by Canada

You want something that will block the air movement, be thick enough for the variability of log surfaces, flex over time as logs dry and be easy to install. Fiberglass will not block the wind, Tremco would be great as it never dries. I've seen the foam strips get stapled on the inside and outside top edges of the logs. This created a good seal, is flexible and thick enough. Another question to answer is how you fasten the logs together. Spikes, screws, all thread with springs and nuts to keep the logs squeezed together as they dry and shrink.

I just stapled a strip of foam and then Perma Chinked inside and out. No issues going on 12 years now except where logs split over time needed some Perma Chink added.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    This: http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...la=pla_8186163 Available at SBS, or just about anywhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by otternorth View Post
    You want something that will block the air movement, be thick enough for the variability of log surfaces, flex over time as logs dry and be easy to install. Fiberglass will not block the wind, Tremco would be great as it never dries. I've seen the foam strips get stapled on the inside and outside top edges of the logs. This created a good seal, is flexible and thick enough. Another question to answer is how you fasten the logs together. Spikes, screws, all thread with springs and nuts to keep the logs squeezed together as they dry and shrink.
    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    I just stapled a strip of foam and then Perma Chinked inside and out. No issues going on 12 years now except where logs split over time needed some Perma Chink added.
    Great ideas guys. Otternorth, I plan on using either timberlok screws or something similar to that. I've used spikes and lag screws before as well but I personally am a fan of timberlok screws or something similar to that. I know if you countersink the timberlok screws and make sure the thread is all the way into the log below it then as the log settles it just slides over it.

I use a foam tape, EMSEAL. It starts off an 1/8" thick and can expand to 3/4" and its a 1/4" wide. Run 2 rows down the logs and butt joints. It works great for window and door bucks. I personally would AVOID using TREMCO on logs, once it touches something its there for awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by EBalaska View Post
    I personally would AVOID using TREMCO on logs, once it touches something its there for awhile.
    More like forever! That is why it is called "black death". I know what you mean that is what I was afraid of.