Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Family-Oriented Halibut Charters - Seward or Homer?

Question Family-Oriented Halibut Charters - Seward or Homer?

Any "family-oriented" halibut charters in Seward or Homer?

My wife and I will be there with our 2 daughters (ages 4 and 7) in early to mid July and I really wanted to do some halibut fishing. The problem is many won't allow kids that age. The other issue is that while we understand that charters don't want to take extra bodies out on the boat for free, we don't want to pay full price for our girls who will not be fishing, but just hanging out with us having fun.

Ideally, we would like to pay for me and my wife for a half day but we need to bring the kids along. We don't care about trophy fishing or catching a ton of fish. What we want most is just to catch a few and have a fun family day where we can all enjoy it. The experience and the fun is what we want the most.

Anyway, I know that what we "want" might not be available or possible, but if anyone has any tips or leads or knows someone who can help us out with this, please let me know.

If we can't find anything, I may end up also posting under the "please take me fishing" thread - I would be happy to pay someone for their time and gas.

Thanks in advance for your help!

You may want to look into renting your own boat? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by AKcaveman View Post
    You may want to look into renting your own boat? Just a thought.
    Actually, that thought did cross my mind but I have never done offshore fishing and don't have the gear for it, not to mention the lack of knowledge and experience with off-shore boating. I just have light gear for trout and grayling - we are planning some of that too.

Quote Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
    Actually, that thought did cross my mind but I have never done offshore fishing and don't have the gear for it, not to mention the lack of knowledge and experience with off-shore boating. I just have light gear for trout and grayling - we are planning some of that too.
    Check out Bayes Boat Rentals out of Homer. he has the boat the gear and the expertise to set you up for an enjoyable trip with the family.On the protected waters of Kachemak Bay

Quote Originally Posted by fishon View Post
    Check out Bayes Boat Rentals out of Homer. he has the boat the gear and the expertise to set you up for an enjoyable trip with the family.On the protected waters of Kachemak Bay
    I just checked out their website. What a great idea! Thanks!!!

Still looking for any tips on a charter, but the rental looks like a real possibility.

What days in July, I may be willing to take your family fishing. I will be tied up around 4th of July but may be able to make a trip around the 10th, out of Homer
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I would be happy to pay someone for their time and gas.
    Be careful with this one, illegal and you could buy someone a lot of trouble.
    Redleader standing by

Quote Originally Posted by redleader View Post
    Be careful with this one, illegal and you could buy someone a lot of trouble.
    Ok thanks. I totally did not know that so I will retract my offer above.

Ok thanks. I totally did not know that so I will retract my offer above.
    It's illegal to pay a non charter for their services, it's not illegal to chip in for fuel.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    It's illegal to pay a non charter for their services, it's not illegal to chip in for fuel.
    Thanks - Good to know. I'm not a freeloader.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    This is good to know....I got a lot of friends and family that Owe me, lol.
    Redleader standing by

how does the legality in saltwater differ from the same scenario on say the kenai ? i thought it was illegal to split fuel,buy lunch,give a gift of any kind ect. ect. as in thousands in fines illegal or am i mistaken?

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by mud dawg View Post
    how does the legality in saltwater differ from the same scenario on say the kenai ? i thought it was illegal to split fuel,buy lunch,give a gift of any kind ect. ect. as in thousands in fines illegal or am i mistaken?
    two guys cant go fishing and split fuel costs?

my understanding was that doing so(splitting fuel ect.) was compensation and that was considered unpermitted guiding. dont think it is enforced very often but none the less illegal.i dont really agree but where should the compensation line be drawn?

I just talked to a fish and game representative that told me splitting expences is ok but accepting gifts or money is considered compensation and Illegal. A guy in Homer got busted at the fuel dock for guiding without a license and he said that one of the guys was paying for the fuel was the reason but there must have been more to it. Good to be aware of the laws and technicalities.
    Redleader standing by

The reason most charters aren't going to offer reduced charters for non fishing customers is that most charters have a six pack license, which means they can only legally transport six passengers. There operating costs are based on how many gallons of fuel they burn, paying off the boat, insurance, the deckhand, etc., etc., So while I'm sure many captains would love to take someone with their kids for the experience, there business model is based on filling their limited slots with paying customers. That and most boats use fairly heavy tackle and a small child simply isn't going to be able to handle a heavy rod, pulling up a 3-5# sinker and potentially a 100# fish.

Another option you might want to consider is renting a canoe or two and paddling around the Kenai National Wildlife refuge, great rainbow fishing and often times you have the lakes to yourselves. There used to be a place that rented canoes in Stirling.

If the saltwater experience is more important than the fishing, look at taking a water taxi from Homer to Soldotna, hike around for the day and take the taxi back.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Yep or just fork out the bucks and charter the whole boat, coming clear from Texas you might as well. Maybe find a smaller time guy to work with you, good old Mutley used to do that.
    Redleader standing by

I agree with Redleader. I can tell you in Seward Alaskan Summertime charters has a comfortable boat and the owner Jon Tippet is a super nice and friendly guy. He fishes closer to home and always catches fish.

We used to do one charter per year in the salt when the kids were little. We would book the entire 6 pack for our family (myself, wife, and 3 kids) and then we could call the shots. If we wanted to go for big butts, we could, if we wanted to fish a chicken hole, we could, or if it turned out to be a less than stellar day and somebody wasn't feeling so hot, we could alter the day accordingly. When you're the only client, it makes it a little more laid back and the captain can tailor it more to a young family. It worked great for us and probably helped build a love for boating and saltwater fishing such that we ended up getting a boat when the kids got older. It is not the most economical way, but it's already a big wad of cash and there are so many factors that go into whether it's an enjoyable day for the kids that it was always worth it in the end.

I agree with others who have said that if it's more about a fun day on the water with the family, look into doing something like a nature cruise or maybe a water taxi from Miller's Landing out to Caines Head and go hiking (Seward), or ferry over to Seldovia for the day (Homer). Lots of ways to get on the water without breaking the bank.
    The Tug is the Drug
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    2007 Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore - Evinrude Etec 225 - "Eagle VI"

If you opt to go the fishing route, I can vouch for Rich Baltzer out of Homer as far as meeting your "family-oriented" needs. In addition, if you book the boat and have less than six people, Northcountry Charters will discount 10% off the total - not a lot, but it's something. Rich books with them through the summer. A bay trip in Homer in July could get you halibut, salmon and rockfish without going all that far from the marina.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast