Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selling Public Land

Default Selling Public Land

This may not be considered a hunting issue, but to me it is all about a threat to hunting. Lisa Murkowski has written an Amendment to the the Senateís nonbinding budget resolution that would allow all public land to be sold. I can't even tell you how upset I am by this. One of the things that makes America a great place to live is public land. Imagine a world where everything is owned by Billionaires and multinational corporations.

http://thinkprogress.org/climate/201...c-lands/http:/
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Land owned by people of the state pay property tax which is good.People that have real ownership of land try to make it better for wildlife or crops. What made Alaska great was free land for people to come in and make something of it. I still believe vets should be able to homested five or ten acres in selected areas and prove them up. At one time every acre of Anchorage was free land and now look what it goes for and tax money recived. A good start would be to sell five and ten even twenty acre lots around every piece of federal land leaving egress areas every few miles to the fed land.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The people wanted "CHANGE"..........Well, that is "CHANGE". If a person drops their "Change"..........Well they just got to "BEND'OVER" & GRAB Some CHANGE"......

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Land owned by people of the state pay property tax which is good.People that have real ownership of land try to make it better for wildlife or crops. What made Alaska great was free land for people to come in and make something of it. I still believe vets should be able to homested five or ten acres in selected areas and prove them up. At one time every acre of Anchorage was free land and now look what it goes for and tax money recived. A good start would be to sell five and ten even twenty acre lots around every piece of federal land leaving egress areas every few miles to the fed land.
    There's a lot of vets. Been something like 1,000,000 marines at this point

Also retired school teachers should get free land.

And also firemen. And policemen. And little league coaches.

You're missing the point. This is not about getting land for the average citizen. This is about selling off huge chunks of public land to the rich.

You think you have no place to hunt now, just wait.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Yeah no I agree with you.

She also gave the Lions Share of the North end of POW to the SeAlaska Natives. Against opposition from everyone on the island minus by Community. She slipped it into the defense bill knowing it's get passed. I truly despise the woman.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Ouch. Treachery lives to control our lives never it's own.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I will catch heat for this one. Thats why as a hunter, gun owner and steward of preserving hunting land and animals that I dont understand why so many of my hunting, gun owning friends dont call out the GOP on these issues. No one has taken my guns in the last six years. Dont be afraid to vote for a democrat next time who is a little more aware of wildlife and environmental issues. Not to mention preserving federal lands for the use and enjoyment of all citizens. I ask politicians (of either party) "If bill or ammendement XXXX is so important and such a good idea, why did you sneak it in under the radar and attach it to something completely unrelated?" Oh well, just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by twodux View Post
    You're missing the point. This is not about getting land for the average citizen. This is about selling off huge chunks of public land to the rich.

You think you have no place to hunt now, just wait.
    Worse yet, other countries like China buying up our public land! Itís sicking whatís happening to our country!
    "Mountains are not fair or unfair, they are just dangerous" ~ Reinhold Messner

AMERICA is Broke.....Bankrupt. I don't know when & I don't know What.............but, things are going to get nasty'er. Our standard of living is going to drop at least 40% as soon as the U.S. Dollar is dethroned as the Worlds "Reserve" Currency. And that should be fully implemented in less than 24 months. It will not be a sudden downgrade, but it will be fairly fast........and painful.

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    Worse yet, other countries like China buying up our public land! Itís sicking whatís happening to our country!

Yes, right now "It's Sicking".................It will NOT improve, it will get "Horrific". And the sooner we stop BeWitching....and start taking action the higher probability of Alaskan families surviving.

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post

This is politics and is probably not the right place for it.

But, I certainly have incredible appreciation for how much public land we have in Alaska. As the large private landholders have become more serious about posting no trespassing signs it's really caused me to be grateful for the large tracts of federal and state land that I have relatively unfettered access to.

Its interesting to read the text of that she said on 3/26 for SA 838 (the text is at the very bottom of the page). Most of energy development in the US is taking place on State land or Private land. The Feds can't do that due to the red tape they are choking on. Reminds me of any solar project proposed on BLM land in CA. The Greens stop it due to the bugs, bunnies, reptiles, or asthetics. But the Greens want their renewable engery, too.

No Fed land that is already protected in a NP, P, or M status. Just forest land and range land to be sold to States for resource development since the States do not seem to choke on as much red tape as the Feds do.

With States going broke I doubt if any western state has enough $$$ to buy land at market value, and then develop it for resource extraction.

Quote Originally Posted by mike h View Post
    There's a lot of vets. Been something like 1,000,000 marines at this point

Also retired school teachers should get free land.

And also firemen. And policemen. And little league coaches.

And this is why good ideas fail...

Quote Originally Posted by fish2live View Post
    I will catch heat for this one. Thats why as a hunter, gun owner and steward of preserving hunting land and animals that I dont understand why so many of my hunting, gun owning friends dont call out the GOP on these issues. No one has taken my guns in the last six years. Dont be afraid to vote for a democrat next time who is a little more aware of wildlife and environmental issues. Not to mention preserving federal lands for the use and enjoyment of all citizens. I ask politicians (of either party) "If bill or ammendement XXXX is so important and such a good idea, why did you sneak it in under the radar and attach it to something completely unrelated?" Oh well, just my 2 cents.
    Some politicos on one side would sell it off so you can't have access, others on the other side would bind it up so you can't use it. There has to be a middle ground of preserving land and letting folks use it for a wide variety of purposes including hunting, fishing and even mineral extraction. I don't trust either party. Something foul in the air or water of DC that changes people for the worse.

State-level politicians aren't a lot better. Dunno if you've been following the stream access problems that anglers have been having in places like Colorado, Montana, Virginia, and so on but too much land is being locked up by private landowners in other parts of the country not to worry about what would happen here. And leaving aside river access, there's also trails, hunting, and so on.

There's a lot to love about Alaska and one of my favorite things is access to really spectacular public lands - being able to fish, run my dogs, and enjoy my freedom. It would be *terrible* to see a lot of our land sold off to private interests. It would certainly transform the state, and not in a good way.
    Mushing Tech: squeezing the romance out of dog mushing one post at a time

More and more we become one of the "48"
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    She also gave the Lions Share of the North end of POW to the SeAlaska Natives. Against opposition from everyone on the island minus by Community. She slipped it into the defense bill knowing it's get passed. I truly despise the woman.
    I don't think "lions share" of N. POW is accurate at all. But then again, I'm a Sealaska shareholder, so my bias may be just that. Most sickening thing about that deal wasn't Murky's behavior, it was the state senator/Sealaska chairman strong-arming the city of Craig with budget threats. That was politics of the very worst kind.

Back to original subject, I object to this direction as well.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

With States going broke I doubt if any western state has enough $$$ to buy land at market value, and then develop it for resource extraction.[/QUOTE]

^This is the point! States can't afford to manage the land. It will be sold to the highest bidder. Be it for resource development or for private ownership, you won't be able to hunt, fish, or camp with your family and friends on it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast