Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Best Route - Glennallen to Delta Junction

  1. #1
    Member BigLew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    30

    Question Best Route - Glennallen to Delta Junction

    My wife and 2 daughters (4 and 7) and I have an RV trip planned in AK for about 2.5 weeks in July. The first leg of the trip is currently:
    Anchorage->Lake Louise->Delta Junction->Fairbanks->Denali->Talkeetna->Anchorage (followed by a Kenai leg that includes Homer and Seward and anything we can squeeze in between).

    Which route is better - Glennallen straight up to Delta Junction or take the longer route through Tok? I know this is a very subjective question but I'd like to know your opinions.

    I guess what I am asking is... is one route way more spectacular than the other (scenery, small towns to visit, cools stuff to see and do)? Is Tok a place that is an absolute must-see or is it ...eh...?

    The reason I am asking is that we are limited on time this trip and can only see so much. I'm guessing the Tok route might add on another day, which means we need to subtract a day doing something somewhere else.

    Any thoughts and opinions will be appreciated. Thanks!!!

  2. #2
    Member theultrarider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Soldotna
    Posts
    1,097

    Default

    Skip tok. Spend the extra day on the kenai peninsula. You won't miss anything by going straight up to delta from Glen Allen.

  3. #3
    Moderator Daveinthebush's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Valdez, Alaska
    Posts
    4,402

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    Skip tok. Spend the extra day on the kenai peninsula. You won't miss anything by going straight up to delta from Glen Allen.
    What he said. Tok has nothing. Heading North out of Glenn Allen you have rivers and mountains. Places to pull for the night. You can pan for gold in the streams if you want. There are moose, Dahl Sheep, might see buffalo on the flats. There are at least 3 state or BLM camp grounds. Fishing in a few places too.

    Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    1,181

    Default

    Go from Glenn Allen up to Delta, while roads in Alaska are not great, the road to Tok leaves a lot to be desired. Besides the Richardson highway has some really good views. Once you get past Summit lake, you will be in the area of the rainbow mountains and they are really cool to look at. Also remember that summer time in Alaska is also 'construction season' so expect some delays.
    Have a good, safe trip and enjoy.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Southcentral Alaska
    Posts
    567

    Default

    If you are seriously considering travelling an extra 103 miles to pass through Tok, don't do that. There's nothing in Tok. There's not much in Delta either.

    Instead add 4 more miles to that itinerary and go Glenallen to Paxon to Cantwell to Fairbanks.

    The Denali Highway is one of the Gems of the Interior. Great day hikes. Good fishing. Beautiful scenery. At least one good lodge if you want to get a restaurant meal.

    The drive from Paxon to Delta is pretty, but if you are in no rush, drive the Denali Highway.

  6. #6
    Member Icebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Ok, I have to chime in. I live in Delta, and the only thing we like in Tok, is Fast Eddy's. It's always a nice drive for us on the Harley in the summer and fall time. We have taken the loop from Glennallen to Tok, but like they are saying, it's not all that great. Save yourself some time and come straight to Delta.

    Now, Delta doesn't have much here, but we do have the famous Clearwater River and you can see the fish in the river. There is an awesome campground there as well. We have the BLM campground near town and it is a nice place to stay as well. We camp at both of them. Then we have Quartz Lake that has grayling and lake trout and an awesome campground too. The beauty of the Clearwater and Quartz Lake campgrounds are awesome.

    One thing you don't want to miss when you come thru Delta is the Buffalo Center Drive In. You can't miss it, right on the highway and in the center of town. They have the best burgers around.

    The people in Delta are very friendly and we have enjoyed living here for 38 years now. Raised our kids here and they are raising our grandkids here now.

    The drive from Glennallen to Delta is very pretty. You will have scenery all the way. Turns, mountains, hills and wildlife. We have the Rika Roadhouse which is very interesting to visit. We also have the Sullivan Roadhouse.

    http://www.alaska-highway.org/delta/visitor_info.htm

    Have fun on your road trip.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Southcentral Alaska
    Posts
    567

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Icebear View Post
    One thing you don't want to miss when you come thru Delta is the Buffalo Center Drive In. You can't miss it, right on the highway and in the center of town. They have the best burgers around.
    Delta has a surprising variety of good food. The Drive In is great, as is Taste of Europe. Pizza Bella remains an old standby.

    And, you guys have the best little grocery store in the state, as far as I'm concerned. I always stop in to pick up a variety of Eastern European dry goods and pickles, and considering the location the fruit is always high quality and a reasonable price. If I'm in a rush, I'll just get food at the Deli, and it has the best grocery Deli food in the state, with the possible exception of Sagaya City Market.

  8. #8
    Member Icebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Yes, we do have the best grocery store around. People from Tok will even drive here to get Ed's produce and fresh meats.

    Like you, we do like the Taste of Europe and Pizza Bella has awesome Hawaiian Pizza.

    I take the grandkids to the Deli, they do like the deli foods

    You can always tell when it's summer in Delta, the Drive-In is always packed.

    Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    Delta has a surprising variety of good food. The Drive In is great, as is Taste of Europe. Pizza Bella remains an old standby.

    And, you guys have the best little grocery store in the state, as far as I'm concerned. I always stop in to pick up a variety of Eastern European dry goods and pickles, and considering the location the fruit is always high quality and a reasonable price. If I'm in a rush, I'll just get food at the Deli, and it has the best grocery Deli food in the state, with the possible exception of Sagaya City Market.

  9. #9
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Icebear View Post
    One thing you don't want to miss when you come thru Delta is the Buffalo Center Drive In. You can't miss it, right on the highway and in the center of town. They have the best burgers around.
    I'd quibble with that. What's the name of the new (to me) wine bar/restaurant? I ate there a couple times this last fall, and the blue cheese burger with bacon absolutely knocked my socks off. I was super impressed and surprised that Delta had such good food. That was easily one of the best burgers I've ever had at a restaurant.

  10. #10
    Member Icebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    203

    Default

    The Cave, located in the IGA Complex. They are only open in the evenings. They do have good food.

    Ok, Brian you came thru Delta and didn't say hi. Boy are you in trouble.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I'd quibble with that. What's the name of the new (to me) wine bar/restaurant? I ate there a couple times this last fall, and the blue cheese burger with bacon absolutely knocked my socks off. I was super impressed and surprised that Delta had such good food. That was easily one of the best burgers I've ever had at a restaurant.

  11. #11
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,394

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Icebear View Post
    The Cave, located in the IGA Complex. They are only open in the evenings. They do have good food.

    Ok, Brian you came thru Delta and didn't say hi. Boy are you in trouble.
    Ha! Well, it was a pretty quick turn-and-burn sheep hunting trip, and on both rounds the overnight in Delta was unplanned. The first time my plans went awry and I had to regroup and replan, and the second time I came through after dragging myself, gear, and a sheep off the hill and didn't have the energy in me to drive back to Eagle River that night. Next time, though, I'll certainly do so!

  12. #12
    Member AK Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    South Central
    Posts
    2,541

    Default

    If you are going to take the Tok Cutoff there are a few nice views of roadside lakes near Mentasta. but thats about the only really neat thing that you might not get someplace else on another road. And the light has to be just right to get any kind of super cool photo from these spots with their blue swamp water.

    The only other thing on the Tok Cutoff would be to head out the Nebesna road into Wrangell St Elias National park and hike up to the old mine.

    You could also stop at HARP and claim to have had your brains melted by all the science.

    If you are just driving an RV to drive an RV then stay on the main road to see the main stuff. The frost heaves on the Tok Cutoff would be really fun in a rental RV though. But there are some good frost heaves on the main road as well.

  13. #13
    Member BigLew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Icebear View Post
    Ok, I have to chime in. I live in Delta, and the only thing we like in Tok, is Fast Eddy's. It's always a nice drive for us on the Harley in the summer and fall time. We have taken the loop from Glennallen to Tok, but like they are saying, it's not all that great. Save yourself some time and come straight to Delta.

    Now, Delta doesn't have much here, but we do have the famous Clearwater River and you can see the fish in the river. There is an awesome campground there as well. We have the BLM campground near town and it is a nice place to stay as well. We camp at both of them. Then we have Quartz Lake that has grayling and lake trout and an awesome campground too. The beauty of the Clearwater and Quartz Lake campgrounds are awesome.

    One thing you don't want to miss when you come thru Delta is the Buffalo Center Drive In. You can't miss it, right on the highway and in the center of town. They have the best burgers around.

    The people in Delta are very friendly and we have enjoyed living here for 38 years now. Raised our kids here and they are raising our grandkids here now.

    The drive from Glennallen to Delta is very pretty. You will have scenery all the way. Turns, mountains, hills and wildlife. We have the Rika Roadhouse which is very interesting to visit. We also have the Sullivan Roadhouse.

    http://www.alaska-highway.org/delta/visitor_info.htm

    Have fun on your road trip.
    Thanks, Icebear! We are considering moving to AK and we are scouting out a future home town. Delta is certainly on the list of possibilities, so we want to spend a couple of days there. Maybe we'll bump into you at the Drive In

  14. #14
    Member BigLew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Thanks everyone for all the advice and tips - much appreciated!

  15. #15
    Member Icebear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    203

    Default

    Give me a call when you come to Delta. I will make time to hook up with you and your family. Even show you around Delta
    Quote Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
    Thanks, Icebear! We are considering moving to AK and we are scouting out a future home town. Delta is certainly on the list of possibilities, so we want to spend a couple of days there. Maybe we'll bump into you at the Drive In

  16. #16
    Member BigLew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Icebear View Post
    Give me a call when you come to Delta. I will make time to hook up with you and your family. Even show you around Delta
    Will do! We would love to meet people and make some friends on our trip. My wife is still apprehensive about moving to AK but having some friends there will definitely put her much more at ease.

  17. #17
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    I gotta say...skip the Tok cut-off. The scenery between Glenallen and Delta is fantastic- especially the Paxson to Delta section. Those are my stompin' grounds- one of the best places on earth. Bring some binos or a spotter and there's a better than even chance you can see some sheep from the Rich on the section from Rainbow through Ruby Cr.

    Take the time to go from Paxson to Tangle Lakes (paved road but rough). Beautiful place.

    Give me a jingle when you hit Delta- I'll give you the lay of the land.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  18. #18
    Member BigLew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    I gotta say...skip the Tok cut-off. The scenery between Glenallen and Delta is fantastic- especially the Paxson to Delta section. Those are my stompin' grounds- one of the best places on earth. Bring some binos or a spotter and there's a better than even chance you can see some sheep from the Rich on the section from Rainbow through Ruby Cr.

    Take the time to go from Paxson to Tangle Lakes (paved road but rough). Beautiful place.

    Give me a jingle when you hit Delta- I'll give you the lay of the land.
    Will do and thanks for the tips! We should be in Delta around July 7-9.

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Delta Jct, Alaska
    Posts
    992

    Default

    Lew,

    We can even find a few recent transplants from Texas for you to compare notes with.

  20. #20
    Member BigLew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    Lew,

    We can even find a few recent transplants from Texas for you to compare notes with.
    That'll be fun LOL. I'll ping you when we are in the area. Maybe you all can convince my wife AK is the place to live

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •